Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone can tell me for sure what makes a deer qualify as a non-typical? Is it 15" of abnormal antler? That is what I have heard. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
dsf , not sure my answer is completely correct , but I believe its on the right track ........ to score NT in the past ,white tail racks had to have 15"s of of abnormal points ( Coues deer = 7"s ) , but today ( again I " think " I am right ) I believe all they have to have is one abnormam point and then it is up to the discretion of the owner as to whether it is scored typical or non-typical ..... I used to help qiute a bit with P&Y , and B&C , but its been awhile and my tired old brain mite have the facts a bit muddled , you could check on P&Ys web site for a measurer in your area , if you dont know of one , and they could give you the straight answer , like I say , I think this answer is correct , but a P&Y guy could tell you for sure , Good Luck , Dan :)

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
dsf , dont know for sure where you are from in MO , but here is a list of MO measurers from different parts of the state , 1 has to be close to you

go to : http://.pope-young.org/ click on M...ted measurers in your state , hope this helps

·
Registered
302 Posts
i think it has to do with the total is. if it net 125 py and 170 bc typical then it is in. Now non tpy you take the net typ and add the abnormal pts to it. but it has to add up to 155py non and 205 non bc !!!!! i think thats how they do it.....i dont think it has to have a certin amount of abnoral pts!!!!!!!!! like you can have a buck thats net tpy is around 160 but if he has 50 inches of non tpy he can quaify for bc non tpy!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
To qualify as a non-typical antlered specie, there must be at least 1" of abnormal antler AND make the minimum measurement required. (example-Mule Deer is 145" typical and 170 non-typical) This rule changed when B&C changed their measurment rules.

However, with the recent surge of non-typical entries with antler structures that are truly typical with limited abnormal points, the Club has decided they will determine where the animal should be classified. Example-if you arrowed a typical 10 point whitetail with a 2" kicker (abnormal point) and it measures 175"......it's probably going to end up in the typical category. Hope that helps.

Roy Grace
Official Measurer/Regular Memeber P&Y

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
ia bhtr said:
dsf , not sure my answer is completely correct , but I believe its on the right track ........ to score NT in the past ,white tail racks had to have 15"s of of abnormal points ( Coues deer = 7"s ) , but today ( again I " think " I am right ) I believe all they have to have is one abnormam point and then it is up to the discretion of the owner as to whether it is scored typical or non-typical ..... I used to help qiute a bit with P&Y , and B&C , but its been awhile and my tired old brain mite have the facts a bit muddled , you could check on P&Ys web site for a measurer in your area , if you dont know of one , and they could give you the straight answer , like I say , I think this answer is correct , but a P&Y guy could tell you for sure , Good Luck , Dan :)
I heard recently from what I felt was a reliable source that P&Y reinstated the 15" rule for NT scoring.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts