Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Cowhorn Killer
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems every thread concerning the decline of the midwest deer herd wants to blame nonresidents, I understand too much of anything can be bad, but I just don't see nonresidents decimating the deer herds, especially killing many does.

Here are the stats for me and my friends

Illinois 5 guys 0 buck kills 0 doe kills passed numerous up to 130 $20,000

Kansas 2 guys 1 buck kill 0 doe kills passed numerous to 135 $6000

Missouri 6 guys 2 buck kill 1 doe kill passed numerous to 135 $15,000

After looking at these numbers, it seems nonresidents may hold the key to putting pressure on the officials to better manage the herds.$$$$$ talks.

·
Cowhorn Killer
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm...

Attachments

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
((It seems every thread concerning the decline of the midwest deer herd wants to blame nonresidents, I understand too much of anything can be bad, but I just don't see nonresidents decimating the deer herds, especially killing many does))

well i posted in just about every thread ,and i didn't read that at all!
nr hunters didn't do it!.....us along with the dnr did it!

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I killed 15 does in IL this year, only one in my home state of MO.[/QUOTE

I Guess you should be proud of yourself? After the first 10 was the other 5 needed? Not trying to sound like a jerk but 15 does seems like alot
I haven't even hunted IL yet this year. Was just stirring it up a little. I think I am going to come over and try to kill a couple before it ends though.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
And I agree that the finger doesn't get pointed at just NR..I actually hunt with a couple friends from Virginia that come here because they for one Love the Outdoors and the doe meat tastes a lot better then the mountain deer in their opinion. There are so many factors IMO that go into good or low deer numbers that we could argue til we are all blue in the face. But the Buck number are down this year across the state but in some areas it's better. I for one have seen and Harvested some pretty good deer this year. My brother in law and his family hunted the same farm they have hunted the last 15+ years and between 8 guys 550 acre farm Three gun seasons and Bow they have killed 4 does one nice buck. Worst they've ever seen

·
Registered
231 Posts
IL lease shot 1 doe let a bunch walk. EHD tore my place up !!! several good bucks dead.
WI lease 1 doe, 1 buck. lots of deer
KY lease toughest hunting I've experienced. Had 1 opportunity no luck. 0 deer
OH gun hunt 3 guys 1 buck.

Definitely didn't pile them up this year. Worst numbers I've seen besides in WI in several years.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Live in Michigan

Last 7 years in Ohio
3 bucks 0 does

Three years ago in Kentucky
1 buck 0 does

Six years ago in Indiana
0 bucks 0 does

It's funny because when I've hunted Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky the residents there would always blame the non-residents either for the declining deer herd or loss of hunting ground. Here in my home state of Michigan, the residents blame the non-residents from Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky for the declining deer herd or loss of hunting ground. Seems to be a pattern.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
The problem lies with the locals not the non residents. They can blame
Us all they want but it's all a smoke screen. It's their entitlement mentality

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The problem lies with the locals not the non residents. They can blame
Us all they want but it's all a smoke screen. It's their entitlement mentality
Ya
You hit the nail on the head Maxemus. There really is an "entitlement mentality" among a lot of hunters. Which is very "ironic" because hunters tend to be more conservative in their thinking.

·
Registered
17,368 Posts
two years in KS 2 bucks, 0 doe
WV, 8 years, 5 bucks and 7 doe (archery season)
WY 1 years. 1 goat 0 bear
CO 2 years, 0 Elk
Ohio 1 year 0 buck 0 doe
WA 1 year 0 elk 1 black tail doe
Maine 1 year 0 bear (missed)
SD 1 year 1 turkey
Africa 1 trip 12 animals out of 13.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Non-resident hunters aren't the problem however they are part of the problem. We all share the blame.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Non-resident hunters aren't the problem however they are part of the problem. We all share the blame.
Elaborate. Specifically, how are NR hunters part of the problem? NR hunters usually improve the land they lease, are generally much more selective than residents in regards to what they'll shoot, and add plenty of $ to the local economy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts