Archery Talk Forum banner

Noob arrow selection help

652 6
I'm fairly new to bowhunting and need some help with selecting arrows. It all seems to confuse me, for example, what is 'spine?'

So my questions are what diameter do I need, length, weight, tip weight, etc...

Also if you have any suggestions of what arrows to buy. I'm looking at Gold Tip's 7595 and Carbon Express'. I will be hunting mostly whitetail with these arrows.

I shoot a Mathews Drenalin
65# draw weight
28" draw length
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Spine is basically the stiffness of the arrow. Another way to think of it is how much the arrow will bend when it is shot. In my opinion, I would rather have too much spine than not enough for broadhead tuning. My guess as far as spine for your arrows goes is that you will be on the border between a Gold Tip 5575 and a 7595. I would shoot both shafts and see which one flys best for you and the broadhead you will be shooting. Length of the arrow just depends upon the type of rest you are using. You just have to make sure you have clearance between the rest and the broadhead.

· Registered
19,915 Posts
if you go with the 340 gold tip(75/95) or the cx 350s i would cut them just in front of the arrow shelf and shoot a 125 grain tip and you should be good to go with that set up.

pointed in a safe direction with your release on nock an arrow and draw back and have someone mark the arrow just in front of the arrow shelf, this will give you plenty of clearance when you start shooting broadheads.

if you cut back all the way to the rest, which i would not personally, you could probably shoot a 400 spine(55/75) or cx 250s.

· Registered
1,743 Posts
With your setup OD will not matter too much but as far as penetration you will get more pentration with a smaller OD. its really up to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.