Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you here North America 29 Big Game Animals/Grand Slam. What are the 29 animals?

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
United States regions include Alaska (brown bear, Yukon caribou, moose, mountain goat), Wyoming (bison, Rocky Mountain elk, Rocky Mountain Mule deer, Shiras moose), Arizona (Coues deer, Desert Bighorn, Desert Mule Deer, pronghorn), and West Virginia (whitetail deer, black bear). Other locations are British Columbia (mountain caribou, Rocky Mountain Bighorn, Roosevelt elk, Stone sheep), Northwest Territories (Barren-ground caribou, Central Canada moose, Dall sheep, grizzly bear, muskox), the Pacific Northwest (Columbia black deer, cougar, Tule elk), and Newfoundland (Eastern Canada moose, Labrador caribou, Woodland caribou).

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
United States regions include Alaska (brown bear, Yukon caribou, moose, mountain goat), Wyoming (bison, Rocky Mountain elk, Rocky Mountain Mule deer, Shiras moose), Arizona (Coues deer, Desert Bighorn, Desert Mule Deer, pronghorn), and West Virginia (whitetail deer, black bear). Other locations are British Columbia (mountain caribou, Rocky Mountain Bighorn, Roosevelt elk, Stone sheep), Northwest Territories (Barren-ground caribou, Central Canada moose, Dall sheep, grizzly bear, muskox), the Pacific Northwest (Columbia black deer, cougar, Tule elk), and Newfoundland (Eastern Canada moose, Labrador caribou, Woodland caribou).
Where did you find this?

So they consider Desert Mule Deer, but no blacktail?

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,982 Posts
Different states have different grand slams, the North American 29 is the super slam.

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,982 Posts
Super Slam consists of: Five deer, Columbian Blacktail, Sitka Blacktail, Mule deer, Whitetail deer, Coues Whitetail deer.
Four sheep: Stone, Dall, Rocky Mountain and Desert.
Moose: Canada moose, Alaska-Yukon moose, Shiras moose.
Elk: Tule, Yellowstone, Roosevelt.
Bear: Polar, Black, Grizzly, Alaska Brown bear.
Caribou: Barren Ground caribou, Mountain caribou, Woodland Caribou,Central Canada Barren Ground caribou, Quebec-Labrador caribou.
Then Pronghorn antelope, Rocky mountain goat, bison, muskox, mountain lion.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
If i remeber correctly, you can't hunt polar bear anymore, unless by very speical permits. i don't think we will see someone finish the slam for quiet awhile.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
If i remeber correctly, you can't hunt polar bear anymore, unless by very speical permits. i don't think we will see someone finish the slam for quiet awhile.
i thought you could still hunt them....

that Global warming crap just put this on hold for a little :mad:

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,982 Posts
In his book Chuck Adams talked about how it took him 10 years to import his polar bear, and that was in the 80s.

·
Live Free or Die!
8,575 Posts
I watched a hunting show on TV a few years ago, I believe it was PSE sponsored, where the guy bowhunted a polar bear. You can hunt them, but I thought only 50-75 polar bears are killed a year, Something like that, don't quote me! I've googled outfitters that advertise polar bear hunts. Also, don't they say in the Thompson Center commercial that Jim Shockey has killed all the required animals??

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This link will answer some questions about polar bear hunting

http://www.polarbearhunting.net/

-but that was not the original question. When someone refers to the 29 Big Game Animals what are they were can I find this. I have heard this twice lately first by a Pope and Young/Boone and Crockett Scorer and then in a ad for a show on the outdoor channel called Trophy Quest.

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/Shows/TrophyQuest.aspx

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The second post is the North American 29 the polar bear is only considered in the super slam

·
Registered
761 Posts
according to this article the poalr bear is included in the 29. I don't know if it is or not but this is an intresting article about Roger Card who has accomplished all 29 as wel as african 5. He donated many mounts to his alma mater for a free wildlife muesuem. very intresting place if you are ever around Big Rapids MI check it out at Ferris State Universtiy. admission is free.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Ok, i could be wrong, but i thought i had heard that a couple of years ago. i guess i am wrong. still you would need alot of time and money to do it.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I'm starting my 53rd year of Bowhunting & turned 68 this year. I've taken 6 of those 29. I don't think I have enough time (to live) left (retired 8 years now) & I sure as hell know I don't have enough MONEY...

Good luck to the fella who can even "think' about it.

Bob Foulkrod seems to be filling some tags in his old age though.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
still you would need alot of time and money to do it.
that my friend is the understatement of the year!!

maybe 20 years ago...things were a little different...but the tags alone will cost a ton. let alone all the animals needed to be killed in a country that requires an outfitter!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
according to this article the poalr bear is included in the 29. I don't know if it is or not but this is an intresting article about Roger Card who has accomplished all 29 as wel as african 5. He donated many mounts to his alma mater for a free wildlife muesuem. very intresting place if you are ever around Big Rapids MI check it out at Ferris State Universtiy. admission is free.
http://www.themorningsun.com/articles/2009/01/18/news/doc4972ea0ae69dd806353648.txt

forgot the link on my first post

1 - 20 of 32 Posts