Archery Talk Forum banner

North Central Kansas rut-cation 2022 (Ver. 4.0) - Semi live from the stand

8794 Views 108 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  NYyotekiller
It's that time of year again. Time for my bi-annual trip out to the Sunflower state to chase whitetails in the creek bottoms of North Central Kansas.

Leaving Saturday morning the 12th for the 19 hour trip to my favorite place on the globe during Mid to late November. Weather for travel looks excellent so far, and the hunting the next ten days or so look great as well. Gonna be tough to top my trip out in 2018 (Ver.2.0) but I'm gonna try.

Here is links to my last two trips out where I took my two biggest bucks to date.

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Parallel
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Beautiful crisp cool morning here in Kansas. 9° with a westerly wind of 10-15mph. I’m setup on a different farm today and hoping to lay eyes on a big one cruising next to a doe bedding area. Sun will warm it up to 30° today so that’ll be nice.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Today has been the slowest and coldest day yet. I’ve only seen two does and a 3 point. I’ve switched spots mid morning hoping to get a mature buck cruising. I had a small 8 point and a 130” 10 point chase does right past my truck so I know there should be some activity in here.

This is my setup for the afternoon. Looking north. 25° with a west wind at 15mph.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Yesterday was a bust so I’m headed back to the setup where I’ve seen the most mature bucks from. Here is looking north at Lil’ Bucky Jr.

18° with a 15-25mph west wind today but should be warming up to 36°.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I forgot to add that when I was walking in across the 1/2 mile long wheat stubble field I could see a shadow coming right at me so I stopped and set down the decoy that I had straddled over my neck. I only had on my green headlamp but as it got closer I could tell it was a deer. Once it got close enough I could tell it was a doe. She walked by and noticed me but wasn’t alarmed. I could tell that she was being pushed by a buck so I focused in on what was behind her. Then I could see a larger body deer coming closer and coming directly at me. It was a buck and a decent one. He looked like he was probably 140” but I couldn’t see how many points he had. He kept coming until I could see that he was posturing and was all bristled up because of my decoy. I let him get about ten yards away until I whistled at him and spooked him off to chase the doe some more. Kansas is nuts! Love this place.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Still after this guy.

Got another picture of him this morning at 3:30am too.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
At what point do you figure things are not going to "click" on your primary target buck and shift to another good opportunity......or not at all?
I’m not worried about not filling my tag if that’s what you’re asking? If I don’t find a deer that I want to shoot then I go back home with my tag in my pocket. I’m not interested in shooting any old deer just to fill my tag.

· Registered
30,672 Posts
If it doesn't work out, will you second guess not shooting the big 9? Just wondering how you have this worked out in your head. Clearly you are a hardcore.....sitting out in those temps and windchill. You've seen some fine deer so far. Good on you, sir! Hoping it all comes together before heading back east.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Back to the same stand that I was in yesterday for a last day magic. 24° with a SW wind at 10mph but the winds are supposed to pick up to 25mph and temps will climb to 50°.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I got a picture last night of this giant coming into the timber that I’m setup in and no pictures of him coming out. Hopefully I get to lay eyes on him.

I also got a picture of this nice 8 point as well. Not sure if I’d shoot him but he’s in here as we’ll likely.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I got a picture last night of this giant coming into the timber that I’m setup in and no pictures of him coming out. Hopefully I get to lay eyes on him.

I also got a picture of this nice 8 point as well. Not sure if I’d shoot him but he’s in here as we’ll likely.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts