Archery Talk Forum banner

North Central Kansas rut-cation 2022 (Ver. 4.0) - Semi live from the stand

8746 108
It's that time of year again. Time for my bi-annual trip out to the Sunflower state to chase whitetails in the creek bottoms of North Central Kansas.

Leaving Saturday morning the 12th for the 19 hour trip to my favorite place on the globe during Mid to late November. Weather for travel looks excellent so far, and the hunting the next ten days or so look great as well. Gonna be tough to top my trip out in 2018 (Ver.2.0) but I'm gonna try.

Here is links to my last two trips out where I took my two biggest bucks to date.

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Parallel
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Wasn’t able to put my tag on a mature buck this trip unfortunately. If you would have told me that on November 19th, that I would have 9 does underneath my stand from 3-5:30pm and not have a buck show, I wouldn’t believe you. Well, that’s what happened tonight. Right at last light I did have a spike and a real young 130” 8 point that has a ton of potential come into range.

Probably by the end of the week I should be able to edit all the amazing footage that I got so stay tuned to this thread for that.

Until next time Kansas. Love this place.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Here is a quick video that I edited from the ten point that I passed on the 17th. More videos to follow once I get a chance.

· Registered
30,528 Posts
Wow! You have more willpower than I do, but good on you sticking to your guns if you set a standard in advance. The length on those G2s and 3s would've had me letting fly!

Thanks for documenting the whole week. I loved following along.
Same here......I can't guarantee a dead deer, but would have certainly done my best to make it so on that fine buck. If you went with a set goal and stuck by it, then passing what wasn't quite there is fully a win for you. You also endured some really rough weather. Overall, well done sir!

· Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
7,011 Posts
On the 18th when you were not seeing anything, I was about 80 miles south of you, the previous day I had several decent bucks , some chasing does. On the 18th I did not see anything in the morning. I went to pull a stand and I parked the truck on top of a ridge in which I can see for over a mile in several directions. I spotted a big buck across the valley on the hillside near a plum thicket with a doe, he ran off a couple smaler bucks , while watching them, on the next ridge over there was an even larger buck with a doe, he ran her back down the ridge an I never saw them again. I figured I might sit a while in my stand, so I got there about 11:30, had 3 smaller bucks, 2 8's and a 10 chasing a doe around for a bit, then nothing. A couple buddies also spotted larger bucks with does out in the pastures and not in the woods that day.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I finally got a chance to edit some of my footage that I got from last week. This is from the first full day that I hunted on the 14th.

· Registered
30,528 Posts
There was a downed tree pretty much in front of you.....what distance was that to get a perspective? Around the 5 minute mark you were zoomed in a a really big-bodied buck that wasn't big on antlers.....but man was he chunky! How war was he from you? That doe sure was doing circles in that woodlot. The buck after her kept going back into the thicket to your right and she would seem to return. Great footage!

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Nice. Do you have big 9 footage?
That was the video that I did first. He was a 10 instead of a 9 like I had originally thought.

This guy.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Here is the next days footage from my hunt on November 15th.

· Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Here is the next days footage where I had the 160" buck come in and I couldn't get a shot.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts