Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Vendor
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well many of you know I have endorsed North Starr tree stands this year. Mainly because they pack well, light, and adjust while up in the tree.
I bought two Tree Cat stands this year. I had been climbing in one, no problems. However I got the other out Sat to climb in it and the v bar in back collasped (see pics) after only going 6 feet up. North starr hardly answers their phones (bad sign). So I sent an email with pics for a replacement part. No Answer for a days. Finally called and left a stern message. Got an email saying I could call and the president would talk to me. I did. He said there is "no way in hell I could have bent that piece without jumping up and down" because they had been tested up to 600lbs (rated for 300lbs).I was shock he reacted like that, I expected an apology. I told him I was disabled, and can barely walk on level ground much less jump up and down in a stand. He said he didn't believe me. Then he asked how much I weighted, I told him 290. He claimed I overload it with my gear, (even though he just said it was tested to 600lbs). I let him know I was in shorts with no gear just practicing climbing. He was not happy but agreed to send anothor part.
After the poor customer service and my safety concern I would highly advised fellow hunters to be careful if looking at a North starr stand.

Attachments

·
Vendor
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brangus said:
Thanks for the heads up. You don't need junk when climbing a tree in the dark during bow season.
You definitly don't want to have a company cusing at you and looking for a way out when things go bad.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I 2nd that.....................

I had a problem with a North Star stand a few years ago, I was hunting only about 25 miles from the company. So I decided to drive there and talk to them personally. I was told I needed to talk to the owner. When he came out to look at my stand, he said I had abused it. It was Brand new, and I only used it once........After about 10 minutes of listening to him make all kind of excuses about why it was bad, I THANKED him and left..........Before I left I told him I would NEVER buy another North star stand.........He said PLENY of other people use them.......So I surmised he didn't need my business, and I have never given him any since then...............

Walleye REv.....................

·
Vendor
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
walleye rev said:
I had a problem with a North Star stand a few years ago, I was hunting only about 25 miles from the company. So I decided to drive there and talk to them personally. I was told I needed to talk to the owner. When he came out to look at my stand, he said I had abused it. It was Brand new, and I only used it once........After about 10 minutes of listening to him make all kind of excuses about why it was bad, I THANKED him and left..........Before I left I told him I would NEVER buy another North star stand.........He said PLENY of other people use them.......So I surmised he didn't need my business, and I have never given him any since then...............

Sad sad sad

·
Registered
309 Posts
wow i was considering the tree cat archer or the razor. that decision is easy now. i was only looking at tree cat to try something different. now i dont want different. i want that summit.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had a some what better experience, I ordered a northstar hanging stand last year. It did not have a full body harness in the box, so I called after a few minutes of how do we know it wasn't in there, and do you know how much a harness costs. I did get them to send one out to me. I use a full body harness embedded in vest, but love the ones that come with stands to make straps to hook my harness to in the tree.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I just emailed North Starr a link to this thread. Manufacturers should know the consequences of bad customer support. Thanks for the heads up on this company...I'll pass the word.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
It did not have a full body harness in the box, so I called after a few minutes of how do we know it wasn't in there, and do you know how much a harness costs.
For them, that safety harness costs them next to nothing. I'm extremely surprised to hear how bad their customer service is! And for the owner to be saying all that and trying to make excuses....unreal. Thanks for the heads up!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have one climbing stand from them now and was thinking about getting another. Not anymore.

This thread should be linked to the product evaluation section; wonder if that's possible.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I will never use or buy their products based on this info.

Customer service is not a focus for them, then screw 'em.:wink:

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
My thoughts exactly. If that had been Summit you'd have called, they'd have sent you out an entire new replacement section or maybe even a new stand. If you search on here for customer service stories on Summit... they are all glowing, positive experiences. That's how they won my business when I recently got a Razor climber.

Sounds like North Starr has alot of issues and I will NOT reccommend them to anyone on AT or anywhere else. There are too many good treestand manufacturers out there to put up with that kind of service.

-ZA

Dub said:
I will never use or buy their products based on this info.

Customer service is not a focus for them, then screw 'em.:wink:

·
Banned
6,017 Posts
they are a local michigan based company...never used them but i have seen them in a few shops..always looked very nice...i did just call theiir number and they answered the phone

sorry to hear about your experience

C

·
0 Posts
yep,

customer service is why i bought my summit.

It was an easy decision. i could have found a stand that maybe suited me personally a little bit better, but so far i have had two small warranty concerns, and they have had no questions asked. i received parts within a few days.

Summit is great. unless you can proove another manufacturer has customer service like summits and makes a better stand, i'm a customer for life.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Summit man for life..................

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've got 4 of their stands and had no problems but after what I've heard I will not purchase another, whether they are still in business or not. If they market under another name, I hope someone will place a warning on here. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
As I stated in my post above, I emailed this thread to North Starr and here is a copy of the email that they returned to me:

Greg,
North Starr stands behind our products--I answered this man back as fast as I received his e-mail--I saw the photo's and I also know all the testing that has been done on this model--I also know there is NO WAY it was damaged in normal use--what this man neglected to tell the world is he admitted after a lot of discussing that he did climb and use the stand incorrectly--he told me he may have climbed the Tree gripper belt angled down--All climbers weather cable or belt must be used with the cable or belt kept on the same angle as the tube it slides into---if the cable or belt is lower on the back of the tree it places tremendous stress on the frame of the climber---I'm sure this is what he did and I have send him a replacement part--no cost--even thought he used the stand incorrectly--I'm sorry if he didn't like the fact I disagreed with his idea of what went wrong--TMA testing would have showed ANY flaw in this stand and there was none--I hope you realize any product can be damaged if not used correctly! Also I would like to go on record --that any one that has the health problems that he has said he has should not be using a climbing style tree stand--he should be using a ladder stand--I have had two shoulder surgery's and now need knee replacements and I would not use a climber now until my knees are back to 100%--this is my personal feeling and I do not feel this man can safely us any climbing style tree stand.I have hundreds and hundreds of customers that will disagree with his opinion that we do not give good customer service--I know sometimes I am VERY defensive about my products--I give no apology for that--I feel I design and build the BEST stands in the market place--and disagree with any one that does not agree with me!

Sincerely, Bill Goodwin, President North Starr 1-515-439-1313

PS. please feel free to forward this to your chat board

1 - 20 of 47 Posts