Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to compound bows and tossed up between a matthews and a bowtech. keep in mind I am hunting only mainly ground blind/stalking.also I am looking at used bows.
matthews Q2xl(2002), bowtech patriot(2002). never shot a matthews but shot a rapture at cabelas and thought is was very nice.
quality and dependablity are my concerns. a quiet bow that hits where it is pointed is all I am after.

my gut tells me I can't go wrong with either one but what do the old hands say?
kirk

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
Own both, shoot the Mathews. The Bowtech hasn't been pulled by yours truly in over a year.

·
33,181 Posts
I would shoot the Mathews also, however it would not be the XL if you are going be hunting mainly from a ground blind. A shorter ATA bow would work better. Just a Q2, Outback or Switchback.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
The Bowtech 2002 was a good bow, but they7 really did not come into their own until they came out with the Binary Cam.

Still, I think that it really comes down to feel, or grip style. While both are not quite what I like, the Bowtech would be a little more to my liking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Taking the Arch Out of Archery

Like you, I hunt stalking and from a blind. The Bowtech Tomkat has never let me down. I was considering buying a Tribute but why should I. I have it set up for up to 50 yards with a 4 inch group at 50. You could have a new Tomkat for the price of a used higher end bow.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i shoot a mathews. bowtech is probably a great bow. i never shot one, but i agree with whatever fits and works for you shoot it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
in regard to the shorter ATA I am starting compound shooting after 6 years of hunting w/ 64-66" longbows. all these things seem tiny to me.
kirk

·
Registered
17 Posts
just a thought, but you might want to consider a new Ross. They are comprable to both, very high quality, very quiet for hunting, very smooth draw, and you might find you can get one new with a warranty for about the same as one of the others used, no warranty.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I prefer bowtech personally but I would shoot both if I were you then make my choice both are fine bows

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
You need to decide if you like single cams or dual cams. I know the Bowtech is technically a binary cam, but it is more like a dual cam bow. If you like symmetry and level knock travel you will like the Bowtech. If you like not knowing if your bow is out of tune or not, get the Mathews.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what is it about the matthews bows that everyone is drunk over?
all the cats on hunting shows are shooting them and they advertise more than the trojan man!

the handle? feel? speed?
what?!?

kirk

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I have a '04 Q2xl and a 05 Bowtech Old Glory.. Both are a tad bit long for ground blinds in my estimation, but I used both for that. I like long ata bows. While both are great bows, my nod goes to the OG. Again, both are great bows... My son is going to get the Q2xl. You will see many strong opinions here, with the key word opinions.. You should try several yourself and get the spec, etc..

The only other advice is: Try the '06's and '07's Hoyt, Bowtech, Martin, and Mathews.. etc., Advancements are coming fast and the new bows, all of them, are much more quite and smooth then even '05's in many cases. If you can afford it I would go with a '06 or '07. Again, my opinion.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Kevin K said:
just a thought, but you might want to consider a new Ross. They are comprable to both, very high quality, very quiet for hunting, very smooth draw, and you might find you can get one new with a warranty for about the same as one of the others used, no warranty.
I agree to a point but he can get the other 2 for about $250- $300 for a 2002 like he asked, I don't think you will find a 2005 Ross for that amount

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
copterdoc said:
You need to decide if you like single cams or dual cams. I know the Bowtech is technically a binary cam, but it is more like a dual cam bow. If you like symmetry and level knock travel you will like the Bowtech. If you like not knowing if your bow is out of tune or not, get the Mathews.
Not in '02. :wink:

·
33,181 Posts
kirkw said:
what is it about the matthews bows that everyone is drunk over?
all the cats on hunting shows are shooting them and they advertise more than the trojan man!

the handle? feel? speed?
what?!?

kirk
Very smooth draw and whisper quiet. They have no wall in my opinion though and thats why I do not shoot them anymore.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I work at a Bowtech Dealer and shoot a Mathews Switchback. Just because of that SMooth draw and LIGHTS OUT performance!.. Bowtecs are great bows. They are super fast, accurate, and extremely aggressive. But then again,, who needs aggressive and fast to slay a dragon. I perfer pinoint accuracy and smoothness when I down my dragon,, Smack and Stackem baby!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sept. 30 comming quick

I'm not trying to start anything but in Business 1001... Look at the Mathews adds compared to the Bowtech ads in the mags. Somebody is paying heavy money for them 2-3+ page adds. The price you are paying for the Mathews, alot of it is going to paying their advertising bill and not to technology investment. I know the key is to advertise, advertise, advertise but someone has got to be paying for it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Drunk?

I have been shooting many years. I help out in the shop that I shoot for. I get to work with and shoot other bows. I even buy and tinker with other brands on occasion. As far as knowing whether or not the bow bow you are shooting is in tune or not? Mathews solo cams are way easier to set up than the other hybrids. They are easy to keep an eye on also, one glance at my cam and I KNOW! Mathews is my choice because they are fast, quiet, smooth, and easy to set up, they have a great buisness that takes care of their customers. If it works for all the guys you mention seeing on TV then it can't be a bad choice.

That said, to hunt only and from blinds, I think there is alot of great bows out there ( Mathews is my pick ), watch the Bad to the Bone-Muzzy video with multiple bows making kills like Jennings, Mathews, Hoyt. If I were to choose an older Bowtech I would not choose one with Freedom cams. A guy was shooting a new Bear Instinct with us at the last 3-D shoot. It was very quiet and he shot it very well. Our shop sells a Hoyt Lazertech with sights, biscuit and quiver for $589. Excellent bow!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts