Archery Talk Forum banner

Not buying new bow unless it's adjustable ......

1037 23
and I don't mean adding shims, removing cams ...etc, I mean adjustable as in turn this screw, and now this one, and lock it down. It's 2022 with 2023 bows out and this should be behind us. I know I've heard it all, modules allow smoother draw throughout the draw cycle, and better all around performance with old style technology ... I call BS on all of it, I mean it's the 21st century! If bow manufacturers don't want to step up I'm sure as hell not stepping down! Ready for fanboy attacks! 馃徆馃徆馃徆
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
I don鈥檛 disagree, I just don鈥檛 get what the big deal is.

Swap mods, shims, remove cams, doohickey鈥檚 etc. yeah it鈥檚 more annoying than the Deadlock system, but you do it once and move on.

It doesn鈥檛 bother me enough to avoid shooting a Mathews.

Registered
I don鈥檛 disagree, I just don鈥檛 get what the big deal is.

Swap mods, shims, remove cams, doohickey鈥檚 etc. yeah it鈥檚 more annoying than the Deadlock system, but you do it once and move on.

It doesn鈥檛 bother me enough to avoid shooting a Mathews.
Setup isn't necessarily one and done. If a guy wants to go from 3-D to Field to Indoor it may involve lots of changing arrows and re-tuning. Turning an Allen wrench certainly makes that less time consuming.

Registered
I get where you鈥檙e coming from. I just started the process of elimination shooting new bows before I buy. I like the set technology on the elites, but I slightly like the way some other bows draw and feel. Not sure if it鈥檚 a game changer or not. Not a big fan of farting around with the shim and twist game. Agree that we should be past that. Have a couple more to try before I pull the trigger.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are you buying a new bow or not?
My season is over this year, but I hope to have a new one in time to set it up and spend a few months with it before next year's opening. I've been reading about Deadlock, I have two older
Bowtech's now, and S.E.T., I like the looks of the Omnia. If there are other bows with similar technology please share

Read Only
I have been done growing for more than 35 years. I am likely done buying bows period. My 2016 vintage bow with mods & I do not expect to need to adjust those mods match if any over the next 20 years or so.
Yep. I bought my current main bow 3 years ago. Tuned it then. 17 deer later, as of last Monday, and i still haven鈥檛 touched a thing on it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got nothing to do with one and done. I have bows I've had for years, killed lots of deer with them, but would like to have the newer technology if for nothing else, just to tinker. Plus if I'm going to pay the money why not have the options, as long as everything else feels right. I think selling them later would be easier too cause the buyer may not have your DL and wouldn't want to buy modules(all modules must die!!) Not bashing the other bows quality, speed, draw .. etc. I still have my Mathews Switchback XT too although I haven't used it in years.

Registered
Elite Envision
....AND lets add no 5-7 piece string sets!

It's going to be hard to get me away from an elite or bowtech.
Agreed. Wholeheartedly. Having just done a bare shaft tune on my Envision and having a bare shaft and fletched shaft touching within 5 minutes, the only two brands I would currently consider are Bowtech and Elite. Bowtech have gone a step further with their new reckoning. Let off adjustments without altering draw length. Cam timing without the need to press it. Brilliant.
It's not that it can't be done the other way, but taking a few minutes over an hour or more is a winner. I just retimed the cams on my elite envision, it took 40 minutes. Draw board. Guess the amount of twists. Press. Draw board and on it goes till spot on. Once that tech filters down to their hunting bows, I'll sell my PSE Drive NXT and buy a Bowtech. Or if Elite adopt a similar thing, an Elite again. Or if both, whichever I like more at the time. I think Matthews make fantastic bows. But until they take on all this new adjustability, I won't even bother shooting one to consider it.

Registered
Elite Envision
Makes as much sense as guys who have a different arrow setup for rain days.
Rubbish. Loads of archers use different arrows for different purposes. Those fat 27's dominate indoors. The thinner arrows are better for outdoors. Heavier arrows for hunting and lighter arrows for target. I don't see many using 500 grain arrows for target. Or many hunters using 350 grain arrows for hunting.

Read Only
Rubbish. Loads of archers use different arrows for different purposes. Those fat 27's dominate indoors. The thinner arrows are better for outdoors. Heavier arrows for hunting and lighter arrows for target. I don't see many using 500 grain arrows for target. Or many hunters using 350 grain arrows for hunting.
We have a name for those guys. We call them confused.

Registered
I shot the Phase 4 last week. I didn't know Mathews went all adjustable in recent years. The only time I see it a pain is when you are looking to buy a used bow and you can't find the correct draw so you have to hunt down a mod too

Registered
I'm intentionally shooting a pair of '19 Elite Ritual 35's because I am "frugal" and got them nearly half price NIB with factory warranty. For '20 Elite changed to rotating mods and then added the SET technology in '21 I believe, which made the former flagship '19 models outdated. After shimming and twist tuning my Catfish Custom strings, both bows shoot great and I don't have to fuss with them. However when and if I decide to go with a newer bow at an undetermined time in the future, it will not be going backwards in design. That some '23 bows are still using DL mods and leftoff determined by draw stop position is surprising to say the least. Before I bought the Elites, I had a '19 PSE Evoke with the Evolve cams that had rotating DL and a changeable mod for letoff. I like a lot about that bow in design, but not so much how it shot for me. However it did clearly reveal that ongoing bow design was moving foward and some makers just refuse to get on board with current practices......and oddly they have fanboys who still eat them up???

The Impartial Archer
and I don't mean adding shims, removing cams ...etc, I mean adjustable as in turn this screw, and now this one, and lock it down. It's 2022 with 2023 bows out and this should be behind us. I know I've heard it all, modules allow smoother draw throughout the draw cycle, and better all around performance with old style technology ... I call BS on all of it, I mean it's the 21st century! If bow manufacturers don't want to step up I'm sure as hell not stepping down! Ready for fanboy attacks! 馃徆馃徆馃徆
LOL.....ok then you tell me how they are going to make a cam that no MATTER how you change the way it sets & rotates will always be the same. Oh and when they do PLEASE tell them to start making racing cams that way my car can run GREAT at any RPM..............oh and say high hi to the unicorn for me!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts