Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today started off the same as the last few days, picked up my uncle got changed and went into the stands around 2 saw a few bucks but nothing outstanding just a 4 pointer and a small 6 but on the way home went to pull into his driveway and on his front lawn was a small deer that must have just been hit by a car, it had 2 obviously broken legs and was trying to stand but just rolling around, after listening to the squeeling i couldnt take it i got out got my bow out of the case and let her fly it layed down and about 20 seconds later was dead. unfortunetly it was a button buck, not something i would normally shoot in the woods but after further examination the deer also had a broken spine so there was no way he would have survived and rather then let it die and rot on the side of the road i dressed it and checked it in then donated it to Hunters helping the hungry, hope i dont get torn up on here to badly for shooting the button, would anyone else have done something different???
Frank

·
Thunder Chicken Assassin
1,675 Posts
You did the right thing. I doubt anyone here would have let an animal as badly wounded as this one suffer.

:tea:

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
You did what a Man would do. Anyone that would say that you didn't is wrong. You probally could a have killed it and called your local agent. He could have given you the okay to keep it and you wouldn't have had to burn a tag.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
You did exactly what I would have done. They would of tore you up if you would have posted the story and said you didn't take it out of its misery. The sound of a wounded deer squeeling is the worst thing I have ever heard.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You did the right thing, and put the deer out of its misery. Thanks for doing it!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Squealing?

I shot this button buck once..... I was 16 at the time and thought it was a doe, it was down a hill and 130 yds away.

Anyways, I shot this button buck once, with my 30-30, damn thing hit the ground and started bawling, maaaw maaaaw maaaaw maaaaw

Jeesis I felt like [email protected], felt even worse when I got to it and found it was a button. That was the day that taught me to be 100% sure the deer I shoot aren't bb's.

Haven't shot one since and wont ever again either unless I'm trapped in the wilderness and starving.

·
Registered
372 Posts
MushroomHound said:
Squealing?

I shot this button buck once..... I was 16 at the time and thought it was a doe, it was down a hill and 130 yds away.

Anyways, I shot this button buck once, with my 30-30, damn thing hit the ground and started bawling, maaaw maaaaw maaaaw maaaaw

Jeesis I felt like [email protected], felt even worse when I got to it and found it was a button. That was the day that taught me to be 100% sure the deer I shoot aren't bb's.

Haven't shot one since and wont ever again either unless I'm trapped in the wilderness and starving.
when i was 10 i shot a squirl with my pelet gun when hunting in the woods. the squirl was at about 5 yards when i shot it. when it fell it started gasping for air. i listened for a minute and then scrambled as fast as i could through the brush it fell in to shoot it in the head to put it out of it misery. i felt soo bad, being 10 years old, i was almost in tears. i know its not related to the post but it brought back memories. anyways, you did the right thing. i would have done it as well.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Rmucken1 said:
when i was 10 i shot a squirl with my pelet gun when hunting in the woods. the squirl was at about 5 yards when i shot it. when it fell it stated gasping for air. i listened for a minute and then scrambled as fast as i could through the brush it fell in to shoot it in the head to put it out of it misery. i felt soo bad, being 10 years old, i was almost in tears. i know its not related to the post but it brought back memories. anyways, you did the right thing. i would have done it as well.
Man I had the same thing happen, kinda, I shot a chipmunk with a pellet and walked over to it and it was opening and closing it's mouth gasping, I cried and to this day I could never kill one of them little buggers again.

I've made it a goal in my life to never purposely kill anything unless I plan on eating it.

Sorry to jack the thread.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
MushroomHound said:
Squealing?

I'm not sure that you read the first post completely. The deer had a broken spine, after being hit by a car. I don't think sex identification should be the first thing on a person's mind in this situation, but rather, putting the animal down asap even if you are trapped and starving in the wilderness.

·
Registered
372 Posts
same here. dont get me wrong, i want to kill big bucks too, but to just kill for antlers and not the meat is wrong. i always ate the squirls i killed, still do.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You did the right thing...Thumbs up for donating the meat as well :wink:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I hope you were kidding when you said you hoped you weren't gonna get flamed! Anyone who wouldn't shoot that deer is a sick person!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
you absolutely did the right thing...you are comended for your sportsmanship.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
bowhuntin_kid said:
I hope you were kidding when you said you hoped you weren't gonna get flamed! Anyone who wouldn't shoot that deer is a sick person!

Why would he be kidding??

Theres a few on here that make you wonder..;)

But IMO you did the right thing..A few years back my Dad and I were going out to work on stands and came across the same thing,BB hit in the rear and could'nt get up..
I went back home and grabbed the 22mag and took care of him,the GC took him from there..:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts