Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Brothers and Sisters of the Wood,

This weekend marks the end of my first hunting season (all bowhunting). I have yet to take a meaningful shot while in the stand, and there have been plenty of lessons and laughs and cursing over the past 4 months. For the next three days, I have written off my family and friends (except the guy I'm hunting with), I'm taking off work after a half day today, I've said my prayers and offered sacrifices to the VG (Venison Gods). I have 3 days of hunting plans and stand sites chosen that can be modified based on whatever the wind decides to do. I stopped shaving, washed my hunting clothes in scent free soap, spent the whole night last night not sleeping much and thinking about scenarios, talked to myself in the mirror this morning ("Be the bow, be the man, MAKE them come to you!") and well, I think I'm ready... I needed to post here this morning because this is where someone understands...

1. Did I leave anything out?
2. Send a little late season Karma my way, could ya?

Thanks, and hoping to post pics by Sunday eve!!

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
good luck my brother on the path to letting your first arrow lose an tasteing that sweet smell we call victory may the deer gods be with you

·
Waiting on Season
14,905 Posts
Good luck

Sent by Chief Buffalo Stomper using smoke signals

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm wondering what you mean by, "meaningful shot". Have you been taking meaningless shots?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Dear Brothers and Sisters of the Wood,

This weekend marks the end of my first hunting season (all bowhunting). I have yet to take a meaningful shot while in the stand, and there have been plenty of lessons and laughs and cursing over the past 4 months. For the next three days, I have written off my family and friends (except the guy I'm hunting with), I'm taking off work after a half day today, I've said my prayers and offered sacrifices to the VG (Venison Gods). I have 3 days of hunting plans and stand sites chosen that can be modified based on whatever the wind decides to do. I stopped shaving, washed my hunting clothes in scent free soap, spent the whole night last night not sleeping much and thinking about scenarios, talked to myself in the mirror this morning ("Be the bow, be the man, MAKE them come to you!") and well, I think I'm ready... I needed to post here this morning because this is where someone understands...

1. Did I leave anything out?
2. Send a little late season Karma my way, could ya?

Thanks, and hoping to post pics by Sunday eve!!
Best of luck to you friend....the bold oversized letter is what it is really all about!!!!!:wink:

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Good luck brother. . Your first kill I believe is to get blood on your arrow. . After that things come easier. .song worry about rack just get brown down and next year have standards . Just get a good shot. . Good luck. .
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You can do it!! I really thought that was how my year was going to go. New lease, horrible conditions, not much time to make trips to hunt.... I got real lucky and shot largest buck of my life and a doe. Hang in there and enjoy the time out hunting.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
It's gonna happen this weekend.

·
Team -Third Times a Charm
4,024 Posts
I'm doing the same as you, 3 days to fill that second tag. I killed a doe back on October 26th, have passed on many does and smaller bucks. I was holding out for a couple big boys I had on cam. Never got them within range. These last 3 days are about meat in the freezer. Good luck to you. I hope we both get it done.

I really enjoyed reading your stories from earlier in the season. Being able to relate, makes them even funnier!

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
hang in there man, it takes time. some people get lucky right out of the gate and kill one right off, some don't. i didn't, took me 8 years to kill my first deer with a bow. but what's weird is, i've killed at least one per season, every season since. sometimes 2 or 3. the do come easier after the first one for some reason. get out of your head about it too, just relax and enjoy your time in the wild. it'll happen. good luck man.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I'll be in the timber with ya buddy. Beautiful weather here in eastern Ohio.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Sounds like you are on your way to enjoying a sport that has been a large part of my life. I'm guessing I started & killed my 1st Deer b/4 you were born (started organized Archery 1956 & Killed 1st Deer in 1958). I did go back & read your "fess up posts" & concluded you have done many of the things we have ALL done in one fashion or another. A couple words of advise (only 2 I can think of)1-ALWAYs when in your stand have an ARROW nocked. 2-IF you make a shot & MISS, RELOAD. After 55 years of Bowhunting I can only say, enjoy & every time in the field will be a learning experience & something to be treasured. Deer have the ability to SHOW UP when you are NOT ready.
Pics are when I started with my 1st REAL Bow, My 1st Deer in 1958 (2nd year Bowhunting) & my 2010 1st DIY Antelope hunt just shy of my 69th Birthday. You got a long, exciting, thrill filled time ahead if you stick with it. Good luck as your 1st season comes to an end. I had one of my best season ever & killed NOTHING. I did have thrill, just no kill. My life has been God, Family, hunting in that order...He takes care of me so I can take care of my family & enjoy the things I like.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, the lessons, laughs and cursing will continue because with each passing season, there are still those one or two days in the woods that are humbling experiences, no matter how many animals you take prior. Just stay diligent and ethical in your pursuit and it will happen when it is supposed to happen. Remember, nothing lives or dies in this world without THE MAN upstairs first saying so! Stay calm & pick a spot!

·
Registered
9,490 Posts

Good luck.

If you don't get one this year you will definitely be excited and determined for next year!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your story was really funny. Sounds like you have a good spot with lots of action. Best of luck, I'm looking for a story with a happy ending. Even if you don't get one, it's a season you'll remember!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts