Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just joined the page here. Have always hunted but got addicted to archery a few years back. Looking for some advice.
I just finished building this range. I have tightly banded straw bails at 20 30 40 and 50. To aid in stopping I have 24 x 30 trailer mud flaps. Intially I had one in the back of each bail and one in the front. Arrows from my Bowtech Experience @ 64 were penetrating past the fletchings through both mud flaps (and the bails) and coming out the back. I moved the back mud flaps in the front and now its a bit much on the arrows. Taking the finish off and not easy to pull. Any ideas for what to use to stop arrows with my set up here? archeryrange.jpg

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Looks good. As for the finish on my arrows I remove it with acetone since our club has tentest targets and the tentest sticks to the sticker on the arrows.
So no big deal there, at least for me. People use bags with cloth to stop arrows, I have no experience with bales of hay.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hay doesn't stop jack nowadays.

I would invest in some "Yellow Jacket" targets or something in front of the bales.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I would recommend buying a bag target or two. You can always make your yardages from them instead of having one every 10 yards so you don't have to spend a bunch money right off. I have one big bag target that I shoot up to 60 yards and a foam target for broadheads. When I first started shooting as a teenager back in the mid 80's I didn't have bag targets or foam targets, so we used hay and straw bales. Arrows always went through, but we didn't care as we were young and energetic. I used to shoot at a range that used excelsior hay bales for targets. That stuff was tight. I did use blackboard stacked flat on top of the other with 2 x 4 boards on top and bottom with mining roof bolts, which are threaded, through the ends of the 2x 4's with nuts on the top to keep it tight. Worked really good.

·
Registered
49,452 Posts
Hay bales no matter how tight you think they are are not, never will be good target material. Buy REAL targets, yes they cost but in the long run they will save you money. Keep shooting your arrows through those rubber mud flaps and you going to be replacing arrows way too soon.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Check out Dicks Sporting goods.. I bought a few Box Targets and 2 Green Bag targets.. I bought the first one for $49.99.. Then Take the receipt and do the survey.. Get $$ off your next purchase, Buy one more and do the same with the survey.. Best way to save $$..

·
Registered
462 Posts
Or, you can go to a Carpet Warehouse and see if you can buy some old Remnants.. Cut them up and use them..

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree with bag targets... Just start with one and move where you stand for different distances. I also recommend "Morells" brand. I bought a cheap generic one and it didn't last half as long as the Morells.

·
*Chick Repellent*
21,417 Posts
Hay doesn't stop jack nowadays.
Totally this!!

But not sure why the title of your thread is not being happy with your range. Your range setup is pretty dang sweet!! Wish I had my own personal range like that to shoot at. So you should be pretty darn happy in my opinion. You just need to invest in better backstops to prevent arrow pass thrus and your range will be perfect. If you don't want to spend the money to put a quality bag target at each distance, then just buy 1 or 2 and move them around to the yardages you feel like shooting at the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts