Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new halon x about a month and a half ago and I’ve only shot it about 40 times and it just doesn’t fit me well and I want to get a different bow. The dealer I bought it from said I can’t return it since it was a “special order” because it’s in the stone color. They said I can trade it in and they will give me $500 for it. I paid $1300. I know it’s on me for buying the bow and changing my mind and I just don’t want to take that big of a hit to get a bow that fits me better. Has anyone been in this same position? If so what did you do? I know I can try to sell it online but it’s technically used so I don’t think I could get more than $600 for it. Thanks

·
Ice Cold
11,853 Posts
What don't you like about it? Might as well keep it a while and see if it grows on you. You're going to take quite a hit selling it anyway. It took me a long time to get comfortable with mine, then I sold it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I agree 40 shots is nothing thats 20 minutes out back, see if it grows on you i personally would never buy a new bow for this reason. If i dont like a 500 dollar bow used i sell and get another

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
If you feel it does not fit you or dislike it for any reason, I doubt it will grow on you. You may have to take the hit selling or try to trade on AT classifieds.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Bummer I love my halon x! But I did the same thing. I got a evolve 35 when they 1st came out and sold it within 2 months, thought binaries just weren’t for me. But I bought another one this summer and love it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I realize 40 shots is hardly anything but this bow just feels so much different now with all the accessories on it. It was just a bow with a rest on it when I tried it out at the dealer and it felt good. I’ve owned quite a few bows and I’ve never had this problem. This bow just doesn’t fit me as well as I had originally thought and it’s not fun to shoot like bows I’ve had in the past.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
This bow just doesn’t fit me as well as I had originally thought and it’s not fun to shoot like bows I’ve had in the past.
That's why I never get rid of an older bow until I'm sure I really want to let it go. I've had 3 other bows now in the last 5 years besides the ones in my signature, and have gotten rid of all three of those newer bows. Still love shooting my older ones.

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
14,844 Posts
I bought a brand new halon x about a month and a half ago and I’ve only shot it about 40 times and it just doesn’t fit me well and I want to get a different bow. The dealer I bought it from said I can’t return it since it was a “special order” because it’s in the stone color. They said I can trade it in and they will give me $500 for it. I paid $1300. I know it’s on me for buying the bow and changing my mind and I just don’t want to take that big of a hit to get a bow that fits me better. Has anyone been in this same position? If so what did you do? I know I can try to sell it online but it’s technically used so I don’t think I could get more than $600 for it. Thanks
This is why I only buy used from AT. I don't take as much of a hit if I don't like a bow.

What don't you like about the bow?

·
I'm nicer than I appear
8,037 Posts
So, you really have two options here, and it will depend on why it doesn't work for you. Let's figure that out first.

When you say "doesn't fit you well", does this mean that the draw length is wrong, the poundage is wrong, it doesn't feel right to you etc....OR are you just not as accurate as you were with your old bow?

So, if it's accuracy, then we need to figure out why. Bows these days are engineered so well that a properly fitted bow can be shot reasonably accurate right out of the box, unless you are entirely new to the archery game. If your are a "newbie", then as someone else stated, get a coach or a mentor. Someone who can teach you the proper form and techniques to get better.

Now, if it's a "fit or feel" issue, then let's diagnose. Grip, holding weight, back wall, bow weight, poundage - all can affect how one bow feels good while another feels bad. Figure out what's different and see if that can be rectified. Skinnier or fatter grips can be added, holding weight and poundage can be changed, even some bows can be tuned different to get a solid back wall or a soft back wall. Once again, find a knowledgeable person to help you, or give us on AT more information to what you don't like. maybe we can help!

Now, lastly, if you just don't like the bow, and you paid $1300 for a fully set up rig, then pull off the accessories, sell the bare bow and take a smaller loss, then buy something else. You can't really lay blame on your dealer if you special ordered it. At the time you must have felt like it was the Bees Knees!

Life (and archery) is too short to mess with a bow you don't like. I tell myself this every time I buy and sell, looking for the Holy Grail of bows. Hell, I've took a loss because I decided I liked a different color better! LOL

Either way, give us more info on what you don't like and maybe we can offer our 2 cents!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Post the bows specs, your draw length, kind of release & post a form picture of yourself (head to toe) showing anchor at full draw (arrow nocked with safe backstop). There are some very knowledgeable & experienced guys on here who might do you a solid and give you some good advice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a couple issues with the bow that makes me not like it. 1- it’s heavy with all the accessories on it. 2- I have a short draw length at 27” so the bow is a little long and I thought it would be fine for me but it just doesn’t balance well for me, I know I can add stabilizers but that will just add more weight. I purchased the bow at $1300 bare bow and put all the accessories off my old bow on it so I could hunt and shoot some local 3D competitions because I can’t afford a hunting and a competition bow so I was hoping this would be a crossover bow for me. I’m shooting it at 65lbs and the draw weight is just fine for me. My last bow was a halon 6 and I shot that bow very well. I’ve just never had this problem with the 8+ bows I’ve owned over the last 16 years. I’ve always had a great feeling shooting the past bows I’ve owned and this one just doesn’t have that.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, I bought an Impulse 34 the year they came out. I purchased it in February and never could get comfortable with it, I did everything I could so on Oct 1 st I shot a deer with it that morning and shipped it out for a trade that afternoon. The shop I purchased from offered to trade for half price, so I found someone on AT that would trade same year E35. Worked out for me.

·
I'm nicer than I appear
8,037 Posts
My opinion -get the draw length correct if you want to like the bow. I can tell a huge difference when a bow fits me well vs too long or too short draw length. Night and day to me. even a 1/4" too long makes a bow feel awkward to me.

If you've already made you mind up, offer the barebow as a trade in the Classifieds for a Halon 6. Someone would be willing to trade I bet and you'll have what you know you like.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts