Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went an tried the open on impact head design and would like to say I was not impressed at all with them.

I set my pins in and like they say I screwed on the heads and went hunting. I shot a button buck(I didn't see the nubs and wanted freezer meat bad) on Saturday evening. I am shooting a '02 short brace BK2 at 69lb/ 27"draw. It is ahooting a 400gr arrow around 290 fps. I wanted to make sure their was plenty of KE for a pass through. I shot the deer at 32 yds and hit top of heart and double Lungs(I was on the ground) I get a complete pass through and took out 2 ribs. Now for comparison I shot a doe last year within an inch of the same spot with a 4 blade muzzy and got a complete pass through. This deer ran 80-100 yds and I heard it crash. I went out to get a flash light and give the deer a few more minutes. I started tracking the deer and I could hardley find any blood. I found the arrow past where the deer was standing and it it was covered it dark blood. I found a total of a 20oz pop bottle full of blood the whole way to the deer. the entrance and exit wound was less than a 1" when the broad head is supposed to be 1 1/4" Last years deer only went 50 yds and it had a blood trail that a blind man could follow.

Am I the only one that has had this happen or did I get a bad head. I was using the nap Scorpions and I researched to find a reliable head and it was talked about highly. What do you guys think? I will go back to muzzy till I find something else to try. Brian

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
which head are you shooting that would help for sure and where did the arrow enter and exit. any pics would help and also never shoot any broadhead fixed or mechanical without testing it. i have shot mechanicals for years but always test some and have some others for hutning.
rob k

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Rocky Mtn. Snyper's

Well I know Robk has shot these some too, but I'll tell ya I like these heads.....I shot a doe saturday afternoon with these and had an awesome blood trail....I shot her from about 20' high and she was about 9yds. away....Quartering away, entered in the back of her right lung and came out through her left front shoulder...yes through the shoulder,,,,,blew the shoulder apart and didnt hurt the head at all......I had a massive entrance & exit hole and she bled as soon as the arrow hit her,,,,,She ran maybe 80 yds but died on a dead run....Probably the fastest I have ever put a deer down with a bow...Heck I've shot them with a 30-06 that didnt bleed as much as she did and that lived longer than she did,,,,,This is the 1st year that I have ever shot a mechanical head but I think from now on I'll stick with them and I'm sure Robk will tell ya the same thing about these Snyper's and about Rocket heads............

·
Registered
34,167 Posts
You got a full pass through and the deer didn't go the far. 100 yds isn't far! What did you think was going to happen? It's not like he was going ot fall over like it was shot with a gun. You can't compare how far the deer ran vs. the one you shot last year. It doesn't have anything to do with the head. It just depends on the deer. I have never killed a deer with anything but a mechanical. I have had them go anywhere from 15 yds to about 200 yds. They have all been double lung hits. The one that went the farthest was a buck I shot last year. He eas quartering away and I double lunged him at about 17 yds. The arrow lodged in and broke the left shoulder socket when the hide was removed the whole shoulder feel to the ground.) But he still went almost 200 yds. Plus he stopped at 2 scrapes. The first deer I shot last year (same type of shot as the one above but about 24 yds and the arrow came out below the socket) and the deer didn't even make it 20yds. Both deer where shot with a Spitfire (the only one I will use). Some deer just have a very strong will to live. The first deer I ever shot with a bow was qaurtering towards me slightly and I only got 1 lung and liver and the arrow came out the guts (smelly). But she went down about 30yds away. I have a friend that shoot a racoon at about 3 yds (yes 3) with a muzzy and the **** lived for over an hour. You have nothing to complain about. Now if the head didn't open or the blades broke that is something to complain about.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
For various reasons, some wounds will bleed profusely while others will hardly bleed at all. You said you were on the ground...because you were level with the deer, your exit wound was probably high in the chest causing the blood to remain inside the chest cavity. Shots taken from treestands tend to put the exit wound lower in the chest allowing the blood to drain. Personally, I have found shots at deer that are quartering away leave the best blood trails.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
to be fair, one shot is not really going to tell you anything. The head did the job, and blood trails and how far deer travel are based on a lot of things. I like the Scorpions and so far every one that has tried them liked them as well. I would not give up on them after one try, on the other hand, Going back to a Muzzy is surely not a bad thing. You was gives you confidence, that's what really matters in the end.

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
i love 'em...

i shot a nice 6-point the other afternoon with a 100 gr Spitfire and it did an awesome job. Huge hole, lots of blood, and the deer crashed down 40 yds away. this is the 4th or 5th deer i shot with a Spitfire and all have been similar experiences. i'm shooting an mq1 @ 65 lbs with a beman 400 @ about 250 fps. ;)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scorpion by NAP

I was shooting The Scorpion by Nap. I examined the head last night and it seems that the blades opened too far. the coller that slides on the back of the head has 3 hugh blade marks in it. the blades opened up and dug into the coller and made a smaller hole than what it was supposed to. I was on the ground and level with the deer. The shot was mid body in and out and yes their was alot of blood in the chest cavity. What conserns me was the fact of the little amount of blood that I could follow. I was comparing it to last years deer because it was almost exactly the same shot. on the ground, level with the deer, double lung and heart, same entrance and exit wound in almost the same spot, but I had a massive blood trail last year. I will not give up on 1 bad experience BUT I will do what it takes to ensure a quick humane kill because that is what is important. that is the only reason I posted on the experience. Not to get bashed for expecting too much, I just want a head that will not make an animal suffer langer than it has to. I did all that I can do but the broadhead let the deer down not me. I am VERY pick when it comes to equipment and with everything else shooting great their is no reason to skimp on only tool that is the most important in a humane harvest.

I might give the snypers a try later whae I get some more cash but for now I have a bunch of muzzy just itching to get on the end of my arrows. Thanks for all the replys. Brian

BTW The jerky and steak are some good eating right now:D

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
If you feel more comfortable with muzzy,use them..I've used muzzys for years with good results,but I never got a great bloodtrail to follow with them either.
This year I'm using spitfires,so far so good.
The scorpion is a little bigger cut than the muzzy, so your really not going to get a huge difference from either head,as far as good blood all the time,its going to rely totally on shot placement...the inch difference you mentioned may be the difference between a hit artery and a missed artery....

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
200yds w/ Double Lung Hit

Brown Hornet-

I'm not doubting that an animal can make it 200yds on a double lung hit, but I doubt that an animal can make it 200yds on a double lung AND stop at 2 scrapes. :rolleyes: :D :D

·
Registered
34,167 Posts
He didn't clean them out or anything. But he sure did stop in them. They were only about 40yds for his final destination. He did stop in them both had tons of blood in them. I was as shocked as you are. I have never seen anything like it in my 15+ years of hunting.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I picked up a pack of the NAP Shockwave heads (same as the Scorpion, but with a chisle point), and have taken one deer so far with them. I noticed the same thing with the blades digging into the bushing/washer that they provide. My deer ran about 50 yards, with great blood from beginning to end (treestand shot, with a low exit wound).

I'm wondering if I would be better off with a steel washer instead of the aluminum one that the NAP's come with. On one hand, the steel one would help maintain the cutting diameter, but on the other hand the aluminum one may provide enough cushion to prevent blade breakage. I've got them loaded with the steel washers now, so I guess I will find out soon.

On a side note, if bowjunkie's deer ran 80 to 100 yards, and he heard it crash, I'm guessing that took less than 10 seconds. I'd say that's pretty humane. JMHO

Here is a sample of the blood trail I got with a Shockwave.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,167 Posts
Most mechanical heads blades that I have seen after shooting them into deer and targets do cut into the bushing. There is alot of force applied to the blades upon impact. The open hard and fast. It even happens on my Spitfires. But the gouges are very small.

·
Registered
834 Posts
personally i've never had good luck with mechanicals and blood trails, the best 3 blad broad head i've shot is by far thunderhead 100's these things are devistating, I shot a doe at 31 yards broke to ribs there was a TON of blood AT the spot where the deer was hit.. that is what i like.. i dont like to have to walk 15-20 yards to see a blood trail (and this deer was hit high double lung) i love my thunderheads.. nothing else for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rhino,

I agree, I took a herd quartering away shot from 10 feet up into a 265lb blubber back buck. Upon impact he ran wideass open for 70 steps until he horseshoed a 6 inchoak and rung it turning 180* and facing me spread eagle! Just awesome, Witin 10 seconds he was a gonner, death run baby! They just run out of gas on a well placed shot! Took out the entire left lung stopping in the right lower lobe of the lung, he never knew what happened and was dead in less than ten seconds. I virtually had no blood trail until the last 20 steps, cause the entrance was so high in the flank forward, but it didnt matter when ya stick a 435 gr arrowalong with a spitfire 125 up the gizzard at 23 yards!

I want ya to know it was all i could do not to shoot the tops of the trees out when i saw this 150 inch buch wandering along the ridge. Hair plays a part in the harvest just like his nose is hard to beat.

Steve

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mechanicals

I took one buck last year with a 100 gr spitfire, where you could have run down the blood trail. It was awesome. I could not detect any damage to the head at all, and it had gone through bone.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Nap Scorpions

I shot a nice 8 pter last Sat night that weighed 220 field dressed with a Nap Scorpion. The shot was about 25 yds, quartering away. I entered about 2/3 of the way to the back of the rib cage, and my arrow exited right below the shoulder on the opposite side. Not a full pass thru, but about 3/4 of the arrow made it through before it broke on a tree. The deer died in maybe 3 seconds at most. Went about 35 yds. However, I did not get a very good bloodtrail for some reason. Entrance and exit wounds were quite large, and when I dressed him out, he was full of blood in the vitals. Shooting a 390 gr. arrow at 300 fps.

This is the second deer I've taken with these heads, and both times there were some pretty good gouges in the collar. On this last buck it was almost cut through. Don't care for that too much. It seems like the aluminum is too soft. They should use stainless steel collars instead.

Rod

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
might want to look into the rocket steelheads if your wanting to try a hard hitting mechanical. goes thru hide like a hiot knife thru butter and leaves great blood trails
rob k

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
My Muzzys open every time I shoot them

My Muzzy's always work.... they are always open and cut the bejesus out of everything that gets in its way

I have to put mech heads in the same catagory of pantyhose,
self service gas pumps and voice mail

Tink

1 - 20 of 33 Posts