Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has nothing to do with archery or hunting in general,but I need a little help.

Back in April I had to have "our dog Zane"put down do to a serious health problem.

Since then I have been wanting to get another dog for my 2 1/2 year old son,but am stumped on what to get or really what to check into.

First of all,I want a dog that is "great with small children".And second; I'd prefer a bigger dog that requires little grooming.
Zane, since he was a long haired dog,we kept him trimmed up a little.

Any ideas on breeds that are mild shedders(as it would be indoors mostly)
Excellent temperment for my little guy...
Also,I have a huge yard for a dog to run...

Again, I appologize for the "silly" question,but I been reading and racking my brain and then thought,why not ask those who actually have dogs to let me know whats best:)

Thanks TJ:)

·
74,535 Posts
Labs/ good choice.

Big dog, great with kids. Good all around pet. We have great Dane, there great dogs, they are good with kids.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We have a Boxer and its great with the kids. my youngst is 4 yrs old and terroizes the poor pup.and all gunner does is licks him to death. Great tempermant.:D

·
Registered
916 Posts
Pooches

We have two big boys, one Yellow Lab @110lbs and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever @105lbs neither one of them is fat either. We swim the heck out of them in the ocean 2-3 times a week this keeps up muscle mass. That being said they are both awesome with my now soon to be 12 year old. When we got the Chesey my daughter was about 6 or 7. The Chesey is a good dog but never did adjust completely when we brought the Lab into the family, they typically are one family dogs, unless you start with puppies together. On the other hand the labs demeanor is so laidback it's funny. They are very protective of the household and they seem to know when some thing is askew. On that note we don't like to keep them in the house a whole lot, except during bad winters. But I'm going to make them a custom shed for their dog houses this year so they can still be outside and warm they love it outside. Of course they do have their social time with us or maybe it's more than I know, I think my family lets them in alot when I'm not around.
As far as grooming the Chesey has been very low maintenance for us. On the other hand the Lab is a shedding freak the one main downside. I don't know how big of a dog your looking for but you should look very closely at their traits i.e. if your leaving the dog indoors quite abit you better find one with a slower metabolism otherwise you may be in for a shock when you get home. Some dogs have to run and some dogs are lumps. Look into health issues as well some are much heartier than others and don't run diseases as readily.
Good luck JMHO
Out for now

·
Registered
745 Posts
TJ,

I have a 4yr old son, and just got him a yellow lab. The pup is about 4months old now, and they love each other to death. I have had in the past American Bull Dogs, not to be confused with American Pit Terriors, and they are pretty good with children. I just felt that labs are happy go lucky, and with my sons temperment they would be perfect.

Good luck on your choice, and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I just had to put my 15 year old yellow lab to sleep last weekend. Boy that was not fun. I have a 2 year old golden retriever that we adopted at around 6 months age. She is one of the most people loving dog I can ask for. Great with children. Not a bad temperment in her at all. She doesn't shed nearly the hair labs do. I think labs are great dogs. They tend to be just a little hyper. My suggestion is a female Golden Retriever. Good luck and let us know the rest of the story later.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
treejumper i would really look at the german shorthair pointer for your dog. they are very great dogs to socialize and are friendly and love kids. they are also great bird dogs and will also be a dog the kids can run with and grow up with my girl is very devoted to me and the wife nd loves little ones and will kiss them and love them to death and loves to play with all my nieces and nephews. also makes a great watch dog but doesn;t have a serious bone in her body. and all of them that i have been with when we're out chasing birds have never seen a german shortair attack another dog at all
my choice is for the german shorthair and if you decide you want one i have a place i got mine from that sells them for a great price just let me know
rob k

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yellow lab or golden retriver.
My dog is a mix of the two, lets my two year old climb all over him and he just lays there and wags his tail.
Both dogs are famous for being good with kids, good family dogs.
The Lab has shorter hair, would be a bit easier to groom.
Their very smart, easy to train ect...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Queensland Heelers are my favorite breed.....Smart, loyal, obedient...Not exactly big, but good dogs...Ive got a 13 year old Heel dog, she has one eye, missing a tooth, tube tied, had ear surgery, even after all that she will still do anything you tell her to...I had another one who was 14, he developed some form of prostate cancer, had to be put down about 3 weeks ago....The pair made 3 full litters of healthy pups too....I had the 14 year olds brother about 12 years ago, unfortunately he got hit by a car. I have never had good luck with keeping dogs, obviously.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The best 2 dogs that fit everything that you want is either a Lab or a Golden Retreiver. Since you said that you want a shorthair then I would go with the Lab. The Retreiver isnt that much work but less than the Lab. Whichever one that you go with spend plenty of time with it. They are extremely intellegent animals but really love and need alot of attention. In my opinion a Lab is the best dog in the world. There is no better bird dog and they will lick your kids face off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Heed the voices.

Smokey/Anaconda/Meleagris are speaking the truth. I for one made the mistake of going away from a lab and am still paying for it. Retrievers come a close second but have a little longer hair then what it sounds like you want to take care of. Make sure you get the color of lab that most closely matches furniture and carpeting, they do shed a little bit. In my opinion you cannot get better dogs for kids, and in general.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks alot for the replys so far,I really like the labs.But was concerned about the amount of shedding in the house.

My dogs have always been a "tight family dog"with us in and with us out.But as I said,I had to get them groomed to be that way,and am looking to not have to go to a groomer.

For those who have the labs indoors,what do you think of the amount of shedding??Is it excessive,or is it manageable with a quick daily brushing.....:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Manageable.

Treejumper,

Shedding is a relative term. I say manageable but like I said, get one to match the furniture or carpeting. I don't know how you can have an animal without some of the hair though.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Manageable.

deerslayer1 said:
Treejumper,

Shedding is a relative term. I say manageable but like I said, get one to match the furniture or carpeting. I don't know how you can have an animal without some of the hair though.
Yea I know,I'm just saying I don't want hair everywhere.And was wondering what was the best way to go.

Theres no way to get around the shedding,but some dogs are worse than others,thats what I'm trying to find out,which are moderate and which ones are excessive....:)

The yellow labs do match our drapes and carpet though....:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
my wife and i have an american foxhound. he has short hair but he seems to shed constantly. when you get a few ideas down as far as what breed, consider posing the shed question to the vet.
don

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
A Golden Retriever has been the greatest dog I
have ever had!Lab.German Short=hair etc. for
temperment love for the family anything they
are the greatest!!:D

·
Registered
745 Posts
TJ,

I have not had any problems with this lab pup that I got. He is yellow and he kind of blends with the carpet and tile though.:D But no, I have not had a problem at all.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would have to say a Boxer... They are great with children not only your own children but also every other child around the neighboor hood or anywhere you go....I had a Boxer for 14 years and she was the best dog I have ever had, very trainable and she was an inside dog also..... She was trained to not climb on the furniture and she never did climb on furniture.....

My second choice would be a Lab....

Another Dog that I have seen that was great around kids was a Rotweiler.... You just have to get them as small pups and work with them.... A budy has 3 of them and the the big one is the size of a small Black Bear....

But I would go with the Boxer for the fact that they are great with ALL kids and aren't too bad as guard dogs either..... a Great family dog....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts