Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I posted about an issue I had with a used halon 5 I purchased where the inner cam bearing seal came out and had to have the cams replaced.... well changed mods from 75# to 70# mods on my vertix and bottom cam inner bearing seal came out.... I bought this bow new a few months ago and am very unhappy right now....

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Mathews is not doing themselves any favor by not dealing with their bearing issue. Sure, they replace them under warranty to the original owner but is is still a PIA to have to take the bow back to the dealer for the repair, especially if the dealer is an hour or two drive away. Other major bow manufacturers don't have the issue so in my book it is just a matter of not caring about the customer that they haven't had their engineers or supplier fix the issue.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Simple enough fix buy a good set of aftermarket bearings from vxb and be done with it and replace them yourself

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simple enough fix buy a good set of aftermarket bearings from vxb and be done with it and replace them yourself
I don’t think you can on this, it’s not the bearing in the center of the cams

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m talking about the bearing that the yoke rides on

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a Vertix too and the wheel/yoke assembly looks similar to my TRX CCTs. I will be watching it a little closer now.

That is the AVS wheel and bearing (per Malcom!). I just finished a thread in this forum about getting a TRX CCT AVS bearing replaced. It is doable if you have the tools and knowledge. However, my TRX is not under warranty as I bought this one used and Mathews told me when I called that the AVS bearing was not replaceable and to trash the cam ... and of course, buy a new one from your friendly Mathews dealer. It IS replaceable, but I wouldn't do it if I was the first owner as I suspect Mathews would void your warranty in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

Ed

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,014 Posts
Last year I posted about an issue I had with a used halon 5 I purchased where the inner cam bearing seal came out and had to have the cams replaced.... well changed mods from 75# to 70# mods on my vertix and bottom cam inner bearing seal came out.... I bought this bow new a few months ago and am very unhappy right now....

How did you know the bearing went bad ? Just by viewing the seal or did your cams start rolling over wrong ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
image1.jpg

Still happening on their VXR's. Just went to go pick up new cams yesterday and there was a quarter inch chip in one of them. Sent those back to Mathews as well. Their QA is beyond pathetic. Wasting my time sending me damaged cams to replaced damaged cams. What a joke. Back to waiting for yet another set of cams. Hopefully THIRD times a charm!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did you know the bearing went bad ? Just by viewing the seal or did your cams start rolling over wrong ?
When I pulled the mod from the cam the seal on the bearing was sitting in the open void where the mod was instead of being pushed into the face of the seal where it was supposed to be

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 7188603

Still happening on their VXR's. Just went to go pick up new cams yesterday and there was a quarter inch chip in one of them. Sent those back to Mathews as well. Their QA is beyond pathetic. Wasting my time sending me damaged cams to replaced damaged cams. What a joke. Back to waiting for yet another set of cams. Hopefully THIRD times a charm!
Holy hell

·
Registered
10 Posts

I hope everything goes well.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,014 Posts
View attachment 7188603

Wow !!!

That looks like they aren’t pressed on together right and are suffering fatigue.

Might just be a bad quality control run of bearings ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,014 Posts
When I pulled the mod from the cam the seal on the bearing was sitting in the open void where the mod was instead of being pushed into the face of the seal where it was supposed to be

Can I ask a stupid question. Since this happened to you twice on two different bows, could it be part of your routine maintenance,such as your wiping down your bow, or greasing/oiling/lubricating your axles ? Could it be a solvent from a lubrication that might have worked that seal to break open by eating the seal ?

I owned plenty Mathews over the years, shooting Hoyt now, but this kinda got me befuddled. I have not seen Mathews have this issue. Apparently, it must be atleast what,,,4 years running ? Havalon, Triax and VXR thats quite a long run without addressing it, and Mathews jumps on their quality control items historically from the 30 or so years i've seen of them. ???

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve never greased, oiled, or lubricated any of my Mathews bows. The first one I had the issue with I had just received it as a second hand buyer, didn’t even get to shoot it, went to change mods and seal came out. 2nd was on a vertix I bought new a couple months ago. Has less than 500 shots on it. I was changing dw mod from 75# to 70# pulled the mod from its track in the cam and the seal fell out into the track. The mods had been changed on it twice before hand with no issues.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seal completely intact as well

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Can I ask a stupid question. Since this happened to you twice on two different bows, could it be part of your routine maintenance,such as your wiping down your bow, or greasing/oiling/lubricating your axles ? Could it be a solvent from a lubrication that might have worked that seal to break open by eating the seal ?

I owned plenty Mathews over the years, shooting Hoyt now, but this kinda got me befuddled. I have not seen Mathews have this issue. Apparently, it must be atleast what,,,4 years running ? Havalon, Triax and VXR thats quite a long run without addressing it, and Mathews jumps on their quality control items historically from the 30 or so years i've seen of them. ???
Their Chill R had bearing problems six years ago... enough to get it noticed here on AT; but apparently not often enough to warrant any changes by Mathews. I believe it was attributed to a bad lot from their supplier. Do you think after six years they might look into changing suppliers? I don't know anything about their source but to me it has the feel of dirt cheap off-shore product.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,014 Posts
Their Chill R had bearing problems six years ago... enough to get it noticed here on AT; but apparently not often enough to warrant any changes by Mathews. I believe it was attributed to a bad lot from their supplier. Do you think after six years they might look into changing suppliers? I don't know anything about their source but to me it has the feel of dirt cheap off-shore product.

I think everyone gets some quality control issues and this sounds as such ?

I’m thinking Mathews should be notified directly and not thru the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts