Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a big-bore rifle. I have recently moved to Alaska and to avoid argument at the Canadian border, I left all my other 50+ firearms in WVa with a family member. What I am looking at is a short range rifle, either .444 Marlin or .45-70, unless you guys have any better advice(no sarcasm intended). A long range rifle, either .300 Win/mag or a .338 Mag, again, unless you have better advice. Thanx in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,864 Posts
If I decide I need to waste some money a 300 win mag will be my next one.
But it's pretty worthless in the anti-gun anti-hunting state of IL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,767 Posts
A .444 Marlin is about the most accurate lever action I've ever shot. The action is strong and dependable.
As for long range, get both.:wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
I'd go with the 45-70 for a short range gun for the availability of ammo and I just like the classic appeal of the 45-70. The .444 with factory ammo shows to win velocity but some hand loads would remedy that. I have a 45-70 Guide Gun and it is one of my favorite guns to shoot when I go play. As for the long-range...I like the .300 WSM but that's me and I have a thing for short fat cases, many swear by the 300 WM and again..in a pinch if you need ammo it's easier to find. Never shot a .338 and prolly never will for I have no need for one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,779 Posts
I shot a 338 (Lapua) Super Magnum Made by Accuracy International. This is a Special Forces Sniper Rifle System www.accuracyinternational.com. I was astounded at his weapons performance. I know that you also get avariety of civilian 338's that is better suited for hunting. Have a look at this page it might help. www.quarterbore.com/libary/articles/33806.html .I know that I want a 338. But at this satge our gun controle act does not make it easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,884 Posts
If there is any chance that you might bump into a grizzly, the .338 Win Mag is the smallest caliber you'll want in your hands. The .338 bullets thicker jacket give them better penetration than the deer cartriges would. The recoil isn't pleasant but you can modify the stock length and pad angle for maximun contact with your shoulder or have a competent gunsmith do it for you.

Good hunting.

:cocktail:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
Silver Pine said:
If there is any chance that you might bump into a grizzly, the .338 Win Mag is the smallest caliber you'll want in your hands. The .338 bullets thicker jacket give them better penetration than the deer cartriges would. The recoil isn't pleasant but you can modify the stock length and pad angle for maximun contact with your shoulder or have a competent gunsmith do it for you.

Good hunting.

:cocktail:
I was told by a Navajo guy once while trapping in N. AZ that if I encounter any bear to: "step on three stones..and stand like a bear". At first I thought he was joshing then realized he was dead serious. I might step on three rocks and stand like a bear but somewhere in there a foul odor is going to occur in my pantelones. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,884 Posts
I was told by a NYho that these are the types of stones you should stand on -

http://www.tomuphoto.com/gallery/Chiricahua/chiricahua_rock_formations_7

:cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail:


Every bullet has a velocity window that it can operate successfully within. A low velocity where there is minimum penetration and no expansion and a upper velocity where the bullet will break up. The .444 uses easily expanded pistol bullets. The 45-70 is an old design that was never intended for the pressures that can be achieved in more modern cartridges but has a tougher bullets available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Rifle...

Kav,

Speaking from experience(I've lived and worked in Canada's north for many years now) most guys carry a twelve guage with slugs for grizzly. Thats just kinda the "saddle-gun" for when you are out and about....not necesarily hunting. I carry a Rem. 870 with a short barrel for when I'm camping. As for a rifle I'd go with the .45-70 just for the ease of getting ahold of the ammo. You CAN get the Marlin .444 but you may have to wait while it get brought in. Got a buddy who LOVES his .444 though.....he'd wait through Fire AND brimestone for ammo...:)

Most guys use whatever they are comfortable with for hunting Elk, Moose, buffalo and Mulies. You'll see everything from .280's up to .375 H&H(lots of .270's for the deer). If you were to go with a .30-06 there wouldn't be anything that you couldn't hunt up here, but its really personal preference. I like the 7mm mag. but gotta admit that a .30-338 is looking interesting.

Not too sure about the "stepping on stones" way of avoiding griz......I've found a can of bear spray, some sneakers and a slow huntin' buddy are your best options....;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
Mountie said:
Kav,

Speaking from experience(I've lived and worked in Canada's north for many years now) most guys carry a twelve guage with slugs for grizzly. Thats just kinda the "saddle-gun" for when you are out and about....not necesarily hunting. I carry a Rem. 870 with a short barrel for when I'm camping. As for a rifle I'd go with the .45-70 just for the ease of getting ahold of the ammo. You CAN get the Marlin .444 but you may have to wait while it get brought in. Got a buddy who LOVES his .444 though.....he'd wait through Fire AND brimestone for ammo...:)

Most guys use whatever they are comfortable with for hunting Elk, Moose, buffalo and Mulies. You'll see everything from .280's up to .375 H&H(lots of .270's for the deer). If you were to go with a .30-06 there wouldn't be anything that you couldn't hunt up here, but its really personal preference. I like the 7mm mag. but gotta admit that a .30-338 is looking interesting.

Not too sure about the "stepping on stones" way of avoiding griz......I've found a can of bear spray, some sneakers and a slow huntin' buddy are your best options....;)
I hope I didn't come across as sugesting a 45-70 for a bear gun. I was told what you confirmed... In bear training the USGS guys go through I was pretty certain they told me a shotgun is the fastest gun one can fire upon a charging bear. My buddy ahas a hilarious story of when he got charged and his shotgun jammed...at least funny now.

I am with you...once we were trapping rodents and looking for bats in rocky outcrops and my buddy asked what I'd do if we were charged.. I said I'd stab him in the leg and run like hades. I did tell him I'd mention at his funeral, "he fought hard and it was a good death". :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANX for all the replys...it has been a few days since I have been on here...The Shotgun is a given...It will prolly be a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 w/marine coating(it gets a little damp up here) with 3 1/2" magnum sabot slugs(unless y'all know a better load) and I have been talkin' to the Boss and she says that my O/T can turn into guns if I want it to! WHOO-HOO!!!!!!!!
So...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,494 Posts
emsboss said:
THANX for all the replys...it has been a few days since I have been on here...The Shotgun is a given...It will prolly be a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 w/marine coating(it gets a little damp up here) with 3 1/2" magnum sabot slugs(unless y'all know a better load) and I have been talkin' to the Boss and she says that my O/T can turn into guns if I want it to! WHOO-HOO!!!!!!!!
So...
when i lived in alaska i hunted with a 12ga & every other shell was a punken ball ( no slug in those days)did a lot of smallgame hunting with a ruger 22mag
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top