Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a question as to whether string silencers change FPS or reduce noise. All I would like to know is if I do not use them will this create any kind of problem with my string or bow? I've got a 2013 Hoyt Carbon Element G3 with a Winner's Choice string, 28" draw, 70#. Do I NEED string silencers or is it just a matter of preference? Thank you for your insight.

·
OnTheWayOut
2,903 Posts
I dont use them either. Just my bow rattler string stop

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Totally optional. But I wouldn't have a hunting bow without them. No such thing as too quiet.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I don't use them so long as i have a string stop installed. If no string stop then I have cat whiskers. Cat whiskers work so much better than leeches and similar. They last a lot longer as well.

·
Anti Fanboy
41,948 Posts
If a bow is properly tuned and/or your not shooting a feather weight arrow, then generally speaking string silencers are not needed. It's more to satisfy the shooter than a necessity.

If you have someone else shoot your bow and you sand off a little ways, most of the time the bow is quieter than you think. I've yet to have a critter complain about the noise of my bows.

However, there is a way to quiet your bow down more and maintain speed as well. That would be to weigh your speed buttons and find some kind of silencers the same weight, then install them in the same general location.

Skeet.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
If a bow is properly tuned and/or your not shooting a feather weight arrow, then generally speaking string silencers are not needed. It's more to satisfy the shooter than a necessity.

If you have someone else shoot your bow and you sand off a little ways, most of the time the bow is quieter than you think. I've yet to have a critter complain about the noise of my bows.

However, there is a way to quiet your bow down more and maintain speed as well. That would be to weigh your speed buttons and find some kind of silencers the same weight, then install them in the same general location.

Skeet.
Skeet there was actually an article in Field and Stream here lately where they tested the noise level of bows with and without string siliencers and the results were like you said, that they do little to nothing to quiet the bow down. I was pretty surprised at the results, I figured they at least did a little something to quiet the bow down especially with all the advertising and companies that make them and claim their design is the best.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Both my bows dont have any very quiet no problems whats so ever..................

·
Registered
939 Posts
This is not a question as to whether string silencers change FPS or reduce noise. All I would like to know is if I do not use them will this create any kind of problem with my string or bow? I've got a 2013 Hoyt Carbon Element G3 with a Winner's Choice string, 28" draw, 70#. Do I NEED string silencers or is it just a matter of preference? Thank you for your insight.
In my opinion, string silencers act as a damper and reduce vibration in the bow system if properly installed. Do you NEED them, no. Will they help to keep accessories tight and keep damaging vibration from radiating through the riser if properly installed, yes. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the posts guys. Here's my reasoning behind not using them. First, while they definitely dampen noise I feel they reduce FPS. I've heard in some cases they can actually increase FPS but I'm skeptical about that. Second, my bow has a max speed of 332 FPS @ 30" draw, 70#. So I'm probably getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 FPS. Sound travels at approximately 1100 FPS depending upon temp, elevation, humidity, etc. So for the sake of making this an easier equation let's give sound a 1200 FPS value. My absolute maximum shooting distance is 50yd, 150ft. At that distance the arrow takes 1/2 second to reach the target. Sound takes 1/8 of a second to reach the target. So the deer has only 3/8 of a second to react to the sound before the arrow blasts through his heart. Even with silencers he's still going to hear the shot and have about the same amount of time to react. I feel the little bit of extra noise isn't going to make any difference with such a short reaction time.

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
Manila,

I did the math one time too and came up with your same numbers. But 1/2 second is actually alot of time if you think about deer who are always on the lookout for predators. Use a stopwatch and see what you can do in 1/2 a second, that is also you anticipating the timing, but the deer does have 4 legs to move.

Either way, alot of people hunt without silencers and kill just fine. I am going to put bowjax on my limbs and stringstopper but that is about it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I believe by stoping vibration or slowing it down in the limbs can cuts down the sound sustaining noise in the string.
I use gear ties in the riser and splite limbs. they are cheap and very effective! picture080.jpg picture081.jpg
or even thur a noisey sight!

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
Haha buckin doe I saw your thread from when you did that, I take it, it is working well? Doesn't the price of gear ties really end up the price of bowjax anyways?

Also did you use anything on your string stopper?

And what size gear ties did you buy?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Manila,

I did the math one time too and came up with your same numbers. But 1/2 second is actually alot of time if you think about deer who are always on the lookout for predators. Use a stopwatch and see what you can do in 1/2 a second, that is also you anticipating the timing, but the deer does have 4 legs to move.

Either way, alot of people hunt without silencers and kill just fine. I am going to put bowjax on my limbs and stringstopper but that is about it.
Good point but 50yd is my max possible shot. Where I hunt it's extremely unlikely that I'll be able to make that long of a shot because there are too many trees. 20 or 30yd is more likely so that brings the reaction time down to about 3/16 of a second and I'm comfortable with that.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I haven't used them in years. Most of the time if a bow is tuned right and the timing is tight string silencers aren't needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts