Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start making knives. I need a good book to start and a good place to buy blanks already sharpened because I do not have a very good grinder. Any advice to someone starting out? Helping hints. I look at all the great looking knives in the post and it looks fun and alot of hard work.

Thanks

·
Shade Tree Bow Technician
1,608 Posts
Well, first off welcome to the addiction! I am no expert, but the most used piece of equipment I have is a Delta 1" belt sander. I use it more than my grinder. I use my dremel tool cut mine out. Others on here have a lot of nice knives on here, but I can't speak to their equipment.

I don't know what books are out there, but I do a lot of Google Searches for knife making. Please let us know how things are going in your quest to build.

Dave

·
Registered
175 Posts
I couldn't tell you about books, but my best tools are an angle grinder with a cutting wheel ($20 at harbor freight) and a good set of files. That's all I use to make my blades, and I've been pretty happy with the results. Your choice of epoxy will also be very important when it comes to that. Don't use the quick-set stuff, let it take its time. Good luck

·
Registered
517 Posts
knife help

get the "$50 knife shop" by wayne goodard 2nd edition.
it sells on amazon for about $15, or check at your local bookstorer

·
Registered
171 Posts
There are quite a few out there , the $50 Knife Shop book is a good one.

Lots of info online as well.

http://www.knivesby.com/knifemaking.html

also check out the various dedicated knife forums
KnifeNetwork.com
BladeForums.com
CustomKnivesandGuns.com

all knife forums have some sort of newbie to knife making area , and most have plenty of tutorials , you may even find someone in your area to show you a few things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts