Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, as the title may suggest, I am new to archery. A few question I may have, I will post here so I do not strand off-subject in the other threads lol.

A little background information is that I just started last night, and shot about 8 sets of 3 arrows. I did that, and now I feel like a kid on X-mas eve waiting for the next archery meeting due to the fact that I do not own my own equipment.

My first question regards to barebow(sp?). What does barebow refer to? As in what is and is not allowed such as sights and clickers.

A second question I have regards recurve bows. Are they considered traditional, or are they in there own separate category? :/

For the third question, what are other ways of saying 8 sets of 3 arrows? No, not like 3 arrows per set for 8 sets. I mean like jargon/terms that people may use to represent this lol.

Well, there are three of my questions. If anyone else has novice question(s), feel free to post here as well if you want.

Thanks for any assistance,
~Skel

PS: Sorry if this is under a wrong category. I have not had time to search all the categories. I just clicked one that looked interesting, and started reading lol.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Target shooters would refer to a "set" of 3 arrows shot....as an "end".

Us hunters call them (in order).....1. Money shot 2. Hopeful follow-up and 3. Prayer.

Don't know what circles these guys run in....but yeah....my group considers the recurve "traditional".

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Recurves and Longbows at most club shoots here they are both traditional... no sights, stabs and clickers. However for a better defintion and rules go to the NFAA site or your state archery association and check their rules. Not sure about IBO and ASA....

·
Registered
193 Posts
First off Welcome. This stuffs addicting ha!

Well I don't really get caught up in the hole "traditional" thing. I am in the process of purchaseing a metal riser recurve, not what some would call traditional, but it's what I want. I come from the compound world and found it was just nice to get away from the all the gadgets. Just more rewording for me personally.

After reading your post I see you do not own a bow and arrows. Are you looking to purchase a bow, and what are your interests or goals with the bow. Hunting,3d, target, all of the above? There are a lot of good bows for low price to get you going. Many others can help you. Kinda got off topic, just wanted to welcome you.
Zigman.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
~JV NC
Lol, I like the hunter names, but I will probably use the "end" term then. Thanks for the reply.

~rsarns
Ok, so from what it sounds like, they are considered traditional. A question that arised is what are the accronyms(sp?)? I am assuming those are accronyms... Lol

~Zigman
Lol, I am more into the traditional style of bows both appearance and shooting wise. I have had no previous experience with archery before last night.

I did not mention anything about bows and arrows, because I currently use the club's equipment. They started a few others and myself off on 25# wooden recurve bows, and had us shoot at the 5 colored target at 20 yds I am assuming. I don't know how a lot of people started, but I am just glad at the moment if I hit the target face (or even the target butt sometimes lol). I shot about 8 ends of 3 (is that how it is said? lol), and probably only 3-4 hit "decent" on the paper. I wasn't really aiming though, more of trying to get the process down.

And, at the moment, I am into what I believe is target shooting if you could not figure it out by now lol. I have no clue what 3D shooting is, but probably will look it up on video soon :/. I intend to stick mainly with target shooting though.

Well, back to equipment, the most I intend to do currently is possibly invest in a finger tab or bracer (for a stephold), and possibly arrows. The only problem I forsee if I buy arrows is the fact that they (from what I comprehend) vary per bow. I say this in the sense that I would probrobly have to buy additional arrows when I get a larger draw weight bow in the future. The purpose of this delay is to work myself up in the weights so that I do not necessarily have to buy a second bow. My knowledge on the brands and other stuff is very limited at the moment though lol.

Well, sorry for the long post. For those that may of skimmed it, the overview of the new questions I asked are:

*What do the terms IBO and ASA stand for?
*What does bare bow mean?
*What is 3D shooting? Lol, I may just look this up picture wise and stuff.
*And, possible additional information about bow "accessories" and brands.

Thanks,
~Skel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another question that came to mind is this:

What are the main benefits and disadvantages of take down bow and a one piece bow?

Other than the obvious of easier transportation, exchangeable limbs, and possible cheaper repair bill for a take down bow.

I'm just curious if anyone knows.

Thanks for any assistance,
~Skel

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
IBO is International Bowhunters Organization and ASA is Archery Shooters Association. Both are organizations that regulate and hold their own 3D tournaments. They have separate, but sometimes similar rules governing equipment, distances shot, etc. 3D is a form of archery competition where archers shoot at foam replicas of animals spaced at varying distances with each animal having scoreing zones on their body. It may be performed indoors and outdoors. "Barebow" refers typically to a bow that is shot without benefit of sights. Depending upon the organization conducting the shoot, other items may be allowed such as stabilizers, clickers, elevated rests, pressure buttons, etc. But basically barebow means a bow free of sights. You have basically enumerated the advantages of a 3 piece takedown bow. There are also 2 piece take downs that only have the advantage of portability. I would suggest that you purchase a book entitled "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera. It is a compendium of archery information and will answer most if not all of your questions.

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
skel -

What Jack (Floxter) said.

BTW - exactly what is that car in your avatar? We may need talk ... :secret:

Viper1 out

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
Welcome and as was stated above, get yourself a copy of "Shooting the Stickbow" ASAP. This is the most comprehensive book on beginning and intermediate archery I have ever read. It is without a doubt the best $20 I have spent on archery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the answers by the way :)

The car in my avatar is my other hobby lol. I drag race with my father back home. Its a 1969 AMC Javalin with a BB 565 Chevy in it lol. I currently am sponsored by my dad with me being in college. Once I get out, I'll be having to pay for it though. Compared to drag racing, archery is a cheap sport lol, or at least what I know so far of it.

Now, about the book. I think I'll look it up. Can't guarantee I will buy it due to the lack of a spare $20 at the moment, but may be a possible investment. Would probably give me something to do between the club meetings I suppose.

~Skel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts