Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
Very well done.

Same conclusion I arrived at in 2007 with the Nano XR and again in 2011 with the prototype NPX's through my own testing. The archery customers weren't prepared to hear it at the time however, especially since CX was not offering $ for people to use their arrows.

Main reasons more events aren't being won with NPX are: 1) the top shooters are being paid to shoot X10's (and not being paid to shoot NPX), 2) those same shooters and their coaches aren't willing to risk damaging their current or future relationship with the Hoyt/Easton machine, 3) the culture in the sport resists change, 4) Easton's marketing influence works.

·
Registered
576 Posts
i feel like sureloc didn't have a large recurve share anyways so it didn't hurt them. CX (IMO) has a better share, so they won't totally pull a sure-loc

·
22,536 Posts
I'd say this is a pretty critical time for CX and their NPX recurve arrows. It's taken a long time, but there are now enough OR shooters turning out world class scores with NPX's that people are taking notice. It would be a shame to throw away the hard-fought progress that has been made, although I fully realize how small a market OR is in the archery industry.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I wonder if the scors were done alternating between the sets of arrows, or if one set was tested for a month and then the other. That could have an effect if the archer's technique changed over those weeks. I didn't see any mention of that; hopefully I didn't miss it.

Although, I'm honestly not too surprised at the results. It's clear to me that while the X10 is a great arrow, and most shooters can't outshoot its potential (and many never will), it's dominance on the podium is probably more due to marketing than actual performance.

That being said, I do worry about the new owners. It's exactly the reason why I stuck with X10's when I was ready to upgrade; I didn't know what was going to happen with that, and I didn't want to risk getting a bad batch from whatever changes they might make.

·
22,536 Posts
If I'd question anything about the test, it would be the possible fatigue in those older X10's, and the fact that the NPX's were sorted from several dozen but I don't see where the X10's were. Might have been though.

Bottom line is - like he says - when as few as 5 or 6 points really matter, you gotta go with what you have the most confidence in.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
If I'm reading the article correctly, the NPX's were sorted out of the worst 24, not the competition 24. Which makes the test possibly slightly skewed against the NPX. Impressive.

2 local archers have given up on the X10 hype machine, and shooting NPX's, based solely on tuning and score.

·
22,536 Posts
So, ya'all are saying I can gain some points if I buy some NPX?

Paul
Possibly, if you're good enough to see the difference. ;)

The top level equipment in this sport, from every manufacturer, is so close in performance that the idea of "buying" points rarely ever holds water. Especially when equipment is almost never the weakest link in an archer's score.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
So, ya'all are saying I can gain some points if I buy some NPX?

Paul
Buying 'em is only the first step, Paul. Then you have to actually SHOOT the arrows you bought!!! :secret:

Like a friend of mine always says when we part ways from having dinner - "Well, I better hurry on home - that TV isn't gonna watch itself."

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
i'm really curious to see if GT will ever chime in on this thread..

....am almost sure he's lurking..

·
22,536 Posts
i'm really curious to see if GT will ever chime in on this thread..

....am almost sure he's lurking..
Why? Do you honestly think he can provide any objective, unbiased input?

What the archery world does not need more of is biased marketing hype from an industry insider who uses this forum to promote their own products and criticize their competitors. We've already had to put up with that for 15 years.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Why? Do you honestly think he can provide any objective, unbiased input?

What the archery world does not need more of is biased marketing hype from an industry insider who uses this forum to promote their own products and criticize their competitors. We've already had to put up with that for 15 years.
........i'm always up for a good discussion John..

we all know where he's coming from anyway so maybe he's more open and less biased nowadays and he hasn't been here for some time...

not that i miss him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts