Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Midwest hunter and do not know much about the "West".

Are there any states where you can buy a over the counter Elk tag for the bow hunting seasons?

Looking for a new adventure :teeth:

Coach

·
Registered
330 Posts
Colorado, Idaho, and Arizona have OTC elk tags but the ones in AZ are for areas where elk are not indigenous to the respective areas. i.e crappy hunts

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Oregon,,,,it is a sleeper state...lottsa elk,,tags are about $400 for a Non res

they also have alot of forest service property.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Idaho NR is $500...But we don't have any elk...the wolves got em. :)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Colorado, Idaho, and Arizona have OTC elk tags but the ones in AZ are for areas where elk are not indigenous to the respective areas. i.e crappy hunts

Are there alot of restictions, specials zones where I will need to look for to hunt?

Are there date restrictions as well for over the counter tages?

Thanks for all the help. It has always been my dream to go out west with my brother and dad, and with my dad getting older we are running out of time.

·
Speed Thrills and Kills
4,690 Posts
my brother and i are heading out this comming sept to CO for a DIY Co Elk....tags for NR are $546 OTC...lots of public ground but being public theres gonna be a lot of hunters....i have been doing a ton of research on CO and areas and all kinds of stuff if you need any help let me know

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my brother and i are heading out this comming sept to CO for a DIY Co Elk....tags for NR are $546 OTC...lots of public ground but being public theres gonna be a lot of hunters....i have been doing a ton of research on CO and areas and all kinds of stuff if you need any help let me know
Thanks Legacy, I will probably send you a pm.

Anyone else have any info that would be helpful for a guy looking to do a DIY hunt? I belive we have a conection near Riffle, CO. My bro and dad have gun hunted it but never been up that way during th ebow season. I myself have never hunted out west. I am dying to get out there.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Having a connection, if you aren't doing the guided hunt, is a huge factor. There are thousands of square miles of country that could potentially hold elk. Yet most of the elk are in a few pockets that only a fairly experienced elk hunter could locate on unfamiliar territory.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Utah has OTC tags that usually go on sale in June. Most of the state is spike only areas where you can shoot either a cow or a spike. There are some areas that you can hunt big bulls but there are not alot of areas for that.:D

·
Registered
3,322 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Your best bet in CO, if you look at a spot and say"There's no way in hell I'm going in there"chances are, the elk already did! #1 TIP- don't be lazy, or you will be disapointed. Of course , just being in the high country is worth the price of admittance!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Washington has oc tags. Might as well get a deer one to cause elk runs during deer. whitetails buck/doe or muley 3pt mim. depending on were you decide.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Oregon does have some good bulls but it takes a lot of work or luck to find them. The elk numbers are good, theres a lot of people in most of the units.. Co. would be your best bet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts