Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend was telling me about arrows built with dowell rods and a nut&bolt and they glue the feathers on by hand.These are used for shooting small game inexpensively.This is news to me can anyone give me some detail on building these,he called them nutters. thanks michael

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Far as I know Nutters can be any arrow you could care less about shootin into rocks.
Yep i too have heard of guys making them that way too.
Just your basic disposable small game huntin arrow.
You go as fancy or as basic as you want.
Key thing is to try and hand spine the dowels which takes a bit of gettin used to. Best way is to take a good arrow with ya and flex it and then the dowels and try to get them as close as possible by feel. Best to use hard wood dowels since they will mostly not be straight grain from end to end and are a bit stronger.
After that the skys the limit.
I have also heard of guys using spent rifle shells as blunts too..

·
Registered
987 Posts
well the whole idea of a nutter is to save money. gop to hardware store, get some 3/8" dowels. pick teh straightest ones then cut them to fit spine on your bow. then hand taper put on knocks and spare fletchings then ( the reason they call them nutter) wink wink... is because you taper teh other end and the then screw on a 3/8" nut... ooohhh and these do pack quite a whollop!!!.. that the nutters, it a Ramin or Poplar dowel for .38 cents a piece, you cant really use aluminum b/c it bends.... you can get a dozen nutters done for 6 bucks using scrap fletchings and used nocks

·
Banned
322 Posts
to spine ur arrow to ur bow, putt on the arrow point or the nut, put on a nock, but no fletchings

set up a target at 10 yards, make sure the blunt can penetrate it. now shoot it. for a right handed archer if the arrow is too stiff it will shoot to the left, if so get some sand paper and sand the shaft a little.

repeat until the arrow sticks into the target straight,

when it does fletch the arrow.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Check out www.tradgang.com Look under the how-to resources section for "Pardues homemade squirrel tamers".Easy to follow step by step instructions.They hit anything in their path like a ton of bricks. :D :thumbs_up

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys.Sounds like somthing I must try.I like to squirrel hunt this sounds like the perfect way to fling some inexpensive arrows at what ever crosses your path. :teeth:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I sat in elk camp last year and watched John Pardue make a bunch of those things. They're definately fun, cheap and effective arrows--the kind of things you just go and shoot without caring if you ever see them again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts