Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was just e-mailed to me.........

Help us get Antler Restrictions for 2010

We are contacting you today to support yearling buck protection with antler restrictions in NY by joining our group. We expect a press release soon with exciting news.
Sportsmen are in the process of proposing yearling buck protection with Antler Restrictions in several areas of NY for the 2010 season.
We hope that the growing grass roots support will get New York’s deer management on track.
Please join our group now! Together we will make a change for the better! Click here to Join, its free http://www.nyswmc.com/join-the-nyswmc/
Thank you for your support and interest in improving deer management and hunting in New York. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Best regards,

Check out our website http://www.nyswmc.com/

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
wish maine would try that seems like alot of 4 pts would benefit

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Lets hope we get it because most hunters out there don't.

·
G5 killing machine
4,828 Posts
I'm for it but am also against it. I'm in it for the meat, not antlers, to me young or old its food on the table. But at the same time I can see why there would be an AR program. To many young deer being killed off. None getting a chance to grow up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
sign me up as well. im all for it.too bad the state of new york only cares about money ,and not giving anything for it.its about time

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Good luck guys, it sounds like some NY sportsman are willing to take their deer management in the right direction. :shade:

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
SCIENCE AND THE 4-POINT

"We are drawing a tine-line that places most bucks harvested at the upper end of 1 1/2 (years of age)," pointed out Stephen Demarais, professor of Wildlife Management at Mississippi State University, in discussing the harvest on Sunflower WMA.

His statistics show a decrease of 19 inches of antlers in the Boone and Crockett (B&C) scores of 3 1/2-year-old bucks taken on the WMA since the 4-point rule was adopted. This is exactly the effect that some biologists forewarned, because the restrictive rule protects smaller antlered yearlings and allows the harvest of larger antlered yearlings
http://www.mississippigameandfish.com/hunting/whitetail-deer-hunting/ms_aa122902a/

We've seen a decrease in the quantity and quality of our bucks over the past 12 years," admitted Yazoo biologist David Linden. "We still have a lot of great bucks that do come through each year, but as a whole, the quality is down."

Linden had absolutely no doubt as to why quality's fallen off. "It's the state's 4-point rule," he said, "which is the worst management tool you can have for quality bucks. We are by law forced to adhere to state regulations, but I will say this: We push it to the very limits in what we allow hunters to take.

"What the 4-point rule does is take hunting pressure off the young inferior bucks you'd want to remove from the herd and puts more pressure and greater harvest on your superior young bucks. That takes a toll, and will impact the quality of bucks when they mature, because you have eliminated the bucks with the best potential before they reach maturity and reach their full potential."

In short, hunters are harvesting 1 1/2-year-old bucks that have developed 4 points quickly, while passing over older bucks that have slow-growing racks

http://www.mississippigameandfish.com/hunting/whitetail-deer-hunting/MS_0907_01/

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Yep, hasn't that always been the concern.

The 1 + 1/2 year old 6, 7, and 8 pointers with the best genetics are fair game while the inferiors are protected.

What's the answer to protecting the younger bucks that we would like to see mature?

Are there any other states that have implemented ARs with positive results?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

The 1 + 1/2 year old 6, 7, and 8 pointers with the best genetics are fair game while the inferiors are protected.

What's the answer to protecting the younger bucks that we would like to see mature?

PA.!!
Also it is impossible to tell wether a buck has superior or inferior genes at 1.5 years of age.

Also a mistake that MS. made was to have their rifle season prior to the peak of the rut. Pike

·
Registered
10,661 Posts

Educate, educate, educate..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts