Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple of pics taken on our NY property. One buck is still in Velvet in Dec....any ideas why? The other buck has already shed. In fact he dropped the other side shortly after this photo as my brother in law found both sheds in the food plot where this pic was taken. Looks to be a about a 120" deer and should be a nice one next year!

Attachments

·
Bettering the last.....
5,727 Posts
i have seen antlerless bucks since bow....but velvet this late? wow. remind me of the one buck i saw with his antlers one may by the 90/ridge rd.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you see bucks without either side or just one sided racks in bow? Usually that early they are due to fighting, not shedding. This appears to be both sides shed naturally.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
if you see them in velvet it usually means their hormones are messed up i believe. He's an effeminate buck, his hooves are even painted.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Or the one in velvet is a doe! Antlered does don't shed velvet!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you have planted in that food plot?
Whitetail Institute Winter Greens mixed with Purple Top turnips. The deer are hammering it! I shot my buck from the stand on this plot as well this year. There is a 2.5 acre plot with the same mixture in it about 150 yards from this small plot (its only about 20x40 yards).

Here's a link to the buck I killed Oct 30. Not a monster, but a respectable 3.5 year old NY buck. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1057399

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Good chance that the one in velvet had something happen to his "boys." An injury to this area can really screw (no pun intended) with his hormones.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Does the velvet buck just have 3 legs?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
either that velvet buck had some kinda injury late summer or the deer may be a doe with antlers (which mostly dont shed velvet when they grow antlers)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts