Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NY Big Game,

As many of you are aware, our recently adopted deer management plan (www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7211.html#DeerPlan) indicates our intended direction for the next 5 years of deer management and deer hunting. The plan included a number of strategies that would affect deer hunting seasons and increase hunter opportunity. We have recently been getting a lot of questions from hunters about deer season dates for 2012 and whether the changes outlined in the deer plan are now final. So let me clarify the process and where we stand.

First, the deer plan did not propose any changes to the Southern Zone Regular season, which will begin on November 17, 2012.

Otherwise, for many of the hunting related strategies of the deer plan to be implemented (for example, begin the Southern Zone bow season on October 1, establish a youth hunt for deer, allow DMPs to be used during the Northern Zone bow and muzzleloader seasons, and establish mandatory antler restrictions in seven additional WMUs in the Catskills), we must amend our regulations through the formal rulemaking process. The process is outlined on the NYS Dept. of State's website (www.dos.ny.gov/info/rulediagram.html) and essentially involves publishing the proposed regulations in the State Register , a 45-day public comment period, DEC review and assessment of the comment and DEC determination whether the proposed rules require modification or can be adopted. We are in the early internal stages of this process now and hope to proceed so that adopted regulations may be in place by late spring, well ahead of the 2012 hunting seasons.

That said, please be aware that several recommendations of the deer plan require amendment of laws, not regulations. These issues are described in Appendix 5 of the deer plan and include: establishing a uniform minimum age of 12 years for all hunters, expanded use of crossbows, reduction of the setback distance for discharge of vertical bows and crossbows, increased penalties for deer hunting violations, and other statutory issues. Statutory changes (changes to laws) must be enacted by the New York State Legislature and signed by the Governor. DEC does not have authority to change laws.

Additionally, in the final deer plan we committed to implementing a special youth deer hunt without identifying the specific dates when the youth hunt might occur. Rather we committed to continue working with stakeholders to select an appropriate time for the youth hunt. To that end, we decided to ask those most directly affected by this initiative, namely junior hunters and the adults that would mentor them, about their opinions on the timing of a youth deer hunt. We conducted a mail survey in which we presented junior hunters with five options for a youth hunt, including: a weekend in early September, a weekend in late September, the 1st full weekend in October, the 3-day Columbus Day weekend, or the 1st two-three weeks of October including weekends. Notable findings:
•90% of respondents indicated that they would likely participate in a youth deer hunt;
•Season options in October were preferred over options in September;
•Columbus Day weekend received the greatest overall preference.

Check out www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/74971.html to see the full results of the survey.

I'll let you all know when we formally propose the regulation changes, sometime in March, and the details will be posted on our website (www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/propregulations.html).

Also, we are now in the end stages of compiling and reviewing deer and bear harvest data from the 2011-12 seasons; deer hunting just concluded last week on Long Island. I expect we'll have final harvest numbers available by the end of the month, ahead of schedule compared to the past few years.

Jeremy Hurst

Big Game Biologist

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I sent this to Mr Hurst and NY Outdoor News
Dear Sir

Your youth hunt makes no sense.We bow hunters gave up the last and arguably the best weekend of our season for the youth of this state or so that's what you told us.The Southern zone opener was moved from Monday to Saturday so the kids wouldn't have to take off from school.If that worked great,if not why would you think a special season would make a difference?Bow hunting in NY is hard enough so don't make it any harder with a gun season in the middle of it.

Thank You

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Mr Hurst the overall plan does not do anything but cause more hunter against hunter. Lets again make sure the archer get screwed, more loss time in the season with a young adult gun hunt in prime bow hunting time, lets also expand crossbows, and of course have a special cross bow tag maybe to increase your funds. How about just looking at states that have hunter coming for all over uSA to hunt, like Iowa or Ohio and should we look at there seasons and maybe change ours to match there. They seem to understand you can not keep killing off all the deer. I saw several in both the bow and gun season. They were a spike and 5 point buck, 2 adult doe's and there fawns. I let them all walk. Why, when you have the city hunters up with all those doe permits, by the end of the 3rd week nothing is left. I wish you just had said take one buck with any tag you have but only take one. NOt take one on a gun, bow, black powder, and maybe now a special cross-bow.I also suggest you look at the amount of does you are giving permits to gun hunt. In my area 4O, not a lot of deer left, over kill and over hunted with brown is down hunters. At 70 I do support the opening of bow at Oct 1, sure helps these old bones in being able to hunt in warm weather.

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
I have to agree, the management or should I say mismanagement in of NY deer herd is disgusting.

Some easy fixes just from my point of view:
Cut all Dmps by 25% across the board for 3 years.
Southern zone opener for Archery: Oct 1
Regular season opener, First Monday in Dec for 7 days.
MZ season 5 days the second week on Dec....say wed to Sunday.
Southern Zone wide AR of 3 pts on one side.
And MOST importantly a 1 buck limit for the year.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I have to agree, the management or should I say mismanagement in of NY deer herd is disgusting.

I'm for all this plus lose rifle and go back to shotgun. I gun hunt too every year but I wish it was still shotgun only.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
This plan is a joke. This is no way going to help deer management in this state. Screw the bowhunters as usual. Not one mention of reducing the length of gun season which is wayyyyyyyyy too long. Late bow/muzzleloader season is also a joke. Runs right after gun season??? How about opening late bow/muzzleoader season in the end of December or begining of January. At least give the deer 3 or 4 weeks to settle down after gun season. If NY had a clue it would model their plans after states like Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin,etc... There is reason hunters leave our state to hunt the mid-west!!

·
Grumpy Old Man
26,816 Posts
So, not only did we lose time on the later end of the bow season when they moved the regular season opener to Saturday, now they propose possibly taking away more days at the beginning of the bow season? W T F ?!?!?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts

Please tell me how lowering the dmp's in 7j and 7h would help with the over population of does in these areas. More nuisance permits rather then
letting hunters have opportunities?

Also tell me how targeting the 60% of the 1.5 bucks that are 3 pt or better will help anything.

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
Please tell me how lowering the dmp's in 7j and 7h would help with the over population of does in these areas. More nuisance permits rather then
letting hunters have opportunities?

Also tell me how targeting the 60% of the 1.5 bucks that are 3 pt or better will help anything.
By lowering the total dmps issued you accomplish two things. Firstly you lessen the use of DMP from the easy to draw area that are being used in areas they shouldn't be. Its a fact that dmps from the easy to draw areas are being used in other parts of the state. When our Biologist is tag checking does at the shop, and a 1/4 of the does in that sation have have western NY tags on then three days into the regular season and we are 200 miles away from the area the tags are issued for its easy to draw conclusions. Secondly, it allows you to use Dmap system with the excess quota that wasnt given out. The dmap are better able to target the areas you are talking about because they can only be applied for by people from that area. So the guy from brooklyn is getting a 7j take and using in Columbia county.

Your second point about that AR is well taken, I would much prefer to have a system that doesn't allows the harvest of any 1 1/2 deer, however its not possible at the time due to public sediments. The 3 pt AR has been VERY effective in the polite areas for the past few years and the age structure and harvest stats have shown an increase in carry over. So would like a say a 14inch spread rule..or 8 points or better....yes but its not realistic at this time. At the very least the 3 point min on one side forces the gun hunters to look and evaluate the buck before the shot....that in itself will let a few get away.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts

Yes

I'm for all this plus lose rifle and go back to shotgun. I gun hunt too every year but I wish it was still shotgun only.
and yes!!!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Every time I read about this plan I get sick…….. The DEC always states that any and all decisions made, are in the best interest of the deer herd. How does this plan benefit the deer herd in NY? Why do we need a longer bow season and more days to hunt with a firearm? Why is all this extra time needed in the field when the DEC says harvest numbers are up each year? How is the DEC going to facilitate a plan like this with only 250 CO’s in the state? I’m honestly considering not purchasing a license in NY next year and hunt other states. I advise others to do the same!

·
Registered
727 Posts
just when i thought new york couldn't screw our season up any more they seem to find a way to put their head further up there ... and find a way. TRAILS153 is correct

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Rather we committed to continue working with stakeholders to select an appropriate time for the youth hunt. To that end, we decided to ask those most directly affected by this initiative, namely junior hunters and the adults that would mentor them, about their opinions on the timing of a youth deer hunt.

Really........so we ask the next round of participants to determine the preferred timing of a proposed season..........and therefore conclude that their decisions are notable. Yet we do not represent as notable, the requests of participants in OTHER simultaneously occuring seasons whom will be greatly affected. BRILLIANT.
Why is it so hard to get the DEC to set policy that is based upon the over all picture , not segments of it.
A Youth Firearm Deer season during Archery will not recruit hunters to any greater degree than simply reducing the age of participation. It also sets precedence for more micro managing of the season structure.
FOOLISH.

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
You would think the morons at the very least would move the regular season back further to miss any part of the rut.....No their answer is a youth season. I can see it now, Joey G recruiting his distant nephew to sit next to him while he gets to hunt for two days...three weeks early. .....

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You would think the morons at the very least would move the regular season back further to miss any part of the rut.....No their answer is a youth season. I can see it now, Joey G recruiting his distant nephew to sit next to him while he gets to hunt for two days...three weeks early. .....
When I asked Mr. Hurst a question like this he told me hunters need to make the right choices! ***!!!
Why do we need CO's in the field ?

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
Here is the start of a right choice.....I try to deer hunt about 40 days a year...all but 10 of them are out of state.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
at least you guys get a published managment plan!! We Illinois folk get nothing but a bunch of suits that never seen a tree stand, yet alone walk in the woods for anything more than to look for their lost cat, sitting around a table counting the kick-backs they will be getting from the Ins Co's by raising the amount of deer tags issued every year.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts

Now this is a good plan!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
So cut 7j and 7h by 25% because some hunters might miss use them?

Do that and the agricultural nuisance permit requests will explode - and rightfully so.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts