Archery Talk Forum banner

NY NZ early season tag filled!

1227 11
In NY the last 4 days of Sept. you can use an unfilled bow/muzz tag from the prior year in the northern zone. In over 15 years of hunting I have never taken advantage of that, untill now. But that's realy because I wasn't more serious about bowhunting untill the last 3-4 years. Don't even want to think about what I was missing out on. Anyways - the weatherman is off my x-mas list. Rained 80% of the time. Camp is set up well but after a week it was about impossible to keep anything dry, mud everywhere. But I slugged it out and managed to fill a antlerless tag, in the rain. 3 does came in and were browsing near a plot by the apple trees. They spotted my 2-D renzo and were not spoked by it but just seemed puzzled as to why it wasn't moving. And they went around it to my right side, through some cover. Just as they did that before they got into another lane I managed to change my angle for a better shot, when the largest doe was clear & broadside I let the Phantom MX hit my mark! 23 yards. First shot of the year is an awsome thing, and sounded great. Recovered about 35-40 yards out.
Slammin`:shade:

I know this site has alot of hunters who don't bother with does. I think those guys are off their rocker. Don't get me wrong a nice buck is a good feeling but generaly I'd prefer two does over an average buck anyday.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,037 Posts
Congrats on the doe looks to decent size ,and who cares what others think its your mind set that counts....:thumbs_up

· Registered
134 Posts
Congrats!! What Northern Zone do you hunt in? I'm looking forward to having some property in 6K for next year. We won't close in time to get out there this year.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a lease in the Williamstown area, 6K.
By the way, if your ever though there and need ice for coolers etc., theres a nice n`easy but 1.79$ a bag. Also next door a restarant called Buck's, Very cute bartentder chick and 5$ dozen wings on Thursdays. ;)

· Registered
134 Posts
How's the hunting up there? We're waiting to close on some property near Altmar State Forest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.