Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Broken, Beat, & Scarred
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunt in dutchess county, and it was my worst season out of 25! Hunted hard and saw mostly small deer, and not near the numbers as i normally do. Very frustrating, but i hunted hard to the bitter end. Now i hope the few decent bucks i passed will make it to the next season. I,really feel like the numbers are down here.
How did you all do, where do you hunt, and what do u think about the season?

·
Registered
256 Posts
same as last 5-7 yrs Absolutely horrible . But I'm sure the political puppets{ aka biologists and the dec } will tell ya different

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
So many close encounters with bad circumstances.

Not a trophy year. But...freezer is stocked with venison kielbasa, Italian, and pan sausage. Lots of time on stand. Life is good.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to boil water for my buck tag soup.

·
Need to get to town,fasst
6,029 Posts
One of the worst for me in 34 years. Never sat so many times without seeing a deer. It was looking like it was going to be a great year when I had 3 bucks over 150" with one pushing 170" on camera. Two of the three harvested by someone else and no pic of the other guy since 11-14. Haven't laid eyes on a shooter all year let alone even getting close to pulling the string back. 3 years of bad luck now unless I can pull something out in the next couple weeks but I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
24,952 Posts
It was very very very slow. I saw 6 deer this yr and only two of them bucks. But also shot my biggest buck this archery season so it wasn't awful :)

(yes wall looks like crap, was in the process of taking the border down)

·
Broken, Beat, & Scarred
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was very very very slow. I saw 6 deer this yr and only two of them bucks. But also shot my biggest buck this archery season so it wasn't awful :)

(yes wall looks like crap, was in the process of taking the border down)
Great NY deer bro, congrats

·
have bow-will travel
3,993 Posts
Poor deer #'s, heard lots of yotes, did some scouting, pumped for next season. Did shoot this guy, kinda made up for the rest of the season being so SSLLOOWWW.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
dad and uncle saw only small deer this year and it was all during early season. my buddy killed a real nice 8 pt with a gun but that was it. numbers are way down in cat county and yotes seem to be showing up everywere.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I had more decent bucks on camera than other years but didn't see one in season. Killed a doe 1st week and got busy w/o a lot of time to hunt, hit my go to spot today and saw 13 deer, one was a young buck trailing a doe, and one big coyote that scared a bunch of deer away in the morning hunt.

·
Registered
24,952 Posts
Anyone eles seeing an influx of coyotes this year??? Been everywhere that i have been!!!
Personally I didnt see any this year but I know there are alot of them in my hunting spots. Hear them loud as can be at night.

Need to get out and start hunting them.

·
Team Mongrel Rookie
4,509 Posts
Horrible year for me...saw very few deer. I think the increase in bear numbers are really taking it's toll on the deer population!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Worst season in years in terms of deer numbers but I did shoot 2 of my biggest bucks ever so I can't complain. Still just under 2 weeks left.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The best season I've seen in years! More coyote sightings than ever, but also more great deer too.

·
Registered
24,952 Posts
Horrible year for me...saw very few deer. I think the increase in bear numbers are really taking it's toll on the deer population!
Could be, I know we are getting more bears on the properties I hunt, another animal I never see when hunting :( Would love to tag a bear one of these days.

My uncle had a cool video of one tracking a deer my cousin shot the day before. they hunted the stand the next day and the bear showed up and was fallowing the blood trail.

·
have bow-will travel
3,993 Posts
Coyotes do far more damage to the fawn crop than bears.

·
U.S. Coast Guard Vet.
3,334 Posts
Brought the doe population down......Chased a big 8 for weeks and ended up my late season last day with the big 8 coming in to 55 yards and the wind switching direction and he lives another year.....

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Hunted Broome and Onondaga counties, bow season started off horrible with two botched shots but rebounded and put 4 does in the freezer filling my doe tags and DMP's before gun season arrived.

I passed several small bucks hoping to connect with a whopper I had on my cameras, biggest buck I encountered this year hunting was a 2.5 year old 8.

Not a bad season considering the properties I hunt are shared by others who shoot whatever moves!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts