Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ball is in full motion now, the word is out and now is the time, sportsmen and women, to unite in one common cause to stop the appointment of Alexander "Pete" Grannis from becoming the new NYS DEC Commissioner.

Everyone knows that I have used some pretty strong language in opposition to this guy. I am from WNY. Here is what I just received from one of my colleagues in the Adirondack Region.

Please READ and HEED! And, please, take action by contacting your State Senator TODAY!

1 February 2007

To all Conservationists and Sportsmen:

I request your support in opposing the appointment of Grannis as
Commissioner of DEC. Grannis is totally unqualified to fill this position.
The person has no intelligence, common sense, knowledge and understanding of
conservation, wise-use of natural resources, restoring wildlife habitat,
management of wildlife and the environment, sylviculture nor any other field
related to DEC. Grannis has no knowledge or understanding of upstate and
rural issues, especially those related to the Adirondacks. Additionally, his
unbridled hatred and contempt of trappers, hunters, firearm owners,
snowmobilers, ATV/OHV/ORV owners and the Bill of Rights, especially the 2nd
Amendment, makes him unfit to be DEC Commissioner or hold any government
position.

One has only to look at his Assembly record to confirm this. All
legislation he introduces or supports is designed solely for the destruction
of upstate and rural NY. His opposition to allowing the Adirondacks and
other rural areas to join the 20th Century (let alone the 21st) has been
shown repeatedly, especially in his opposition to cell phone, emergency
services, and other communications towers for coverage and safety of the
people. One could say that Grannis's position is directly responsible for
the Brooklyn man's death and his wife's suffering in the Adirondack Northway
accident where they were denied help and aid.

Grannis's legislation to abolish trapping, hunting, firearm
ownership, shooting sports, boy and girl scout activities, camping, outdoor
recreation and other Christian family pursuits is a matter of record. His
attempts to destroy outdoor recreation on state lands and destroy the
economy of rural towns and villages are well known. His lack of knowledge
and comprehension of conservation, environment, natural resources and the
upstate economy is further documented by his actions and statements. I urge
everyone who supports conservation, wise-use of natural resources, managed
environment, outdoor recreation, fishing, hunting, trapping, local jobs and
economic growth and development to contact their senators and insist they
oppose Grannis for DEC Commissioner

Don Sage, Adirondack Sportsman

Don Sage
P.O. Box 123
Paradox, NY 12858
Phone: 518-585-7250

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
How about an online petition? Link can be posted to other forums.....pretty effective these days.

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about an online petition? Link can be posted to other forums.....pretty effective these days.
On line petitions don't cut it, unfortunately. In order to effectively hit the State Senate, each person must write their own letter (or affix their name to an existing letter, including your mailing address, and send it in as a singular response. We have County Federations in NYS which represent (like the one I am an officer in, which is one of the largest, if not the largest County Federation in NYS - Erie County Federation) many sportsmen aned women (organized sportsmen and women), and our corresponding secretary crafts letters which represent the position of those we represent, some 9,000 strong. It onl;y counts as one letter, despite the wieght behind it.

Here is a letter I sent ot my state senator. Feel free to use it.

I write this to you over my grave concerns regarding the nomination of Alexander "Pete" Grannis to become Commissioner of the NYS DEC. Considering his well-known record of being against trapping, hunting and being anti 2nd Amendment rights, this nominee would do severe, if not devastating damage to the vital, and extremely lucrative industries hunting, trapping and fishing represents to NYS, industries which through tax revenues and conservation fund contributions, buttress NYS ability to protect the natural resources the Department is charged to protect. Through his own political agenda, this ability would be crippled. The people of NYS deserve much better.

This department should be run by qualified Biologists and Habitat Managers, not career politicians, as our natural resources deserve to be protected devoid of political agendas.
I urge you to please deny your support to this nomination, and speak with your colleagues to do the same. We need a true conservationist running this department, not someone with a political agenda.

Sincerely,

You can go to the NYS Senate website, look up your Senator based on Zip Code, and contact them via email directly, or you may mail the letter to their office in Albany.

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Grannis

Just sent my letter off to Sen. Betty Little. I urge all sportsmen to contact their representatives. Thank you Doctari for bringing this to our attentions and for keeping us up to date.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
I have off from work tomorrow so I will also send one. Thanks for the heads up and lets keep this ttt.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
You can go to the NYS Senate website, look up your Senator based on Zip Code, and contact them via email directly, or you may mail the letter to their office in Albany.
Rich,

I sent a letter to my state senator and assemblyman.

I still think that you overstate the ability of this position to radically change policy (partly because you have cried wolf so often), but why take a chance?

We'll see if it makes a difference.

My advice to you:

In the future, save your political capital for important issues (such as this.)

By always seeming on the edge of hysteria, you diminish the importance of real issues when it truly may matter because you act as though every issue is equally life or death..

I'm sure you get my drift......

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just emailed Senator Leibell with my letter. Will notify others to do the same. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Rich,

I still think that you overstate the ability of this position to radically change policy (partly because you have cried wolf so often), but why take a chance?

My advice to you:

By always seeming on the edge of hysteria, you diminish the importance of real issues when it truly may matter because you act as though every issue is equally life or death..

come on man, we need guys like doctari out there sniffing out the things that could hurt our sport, its not about crying wolf. its about being a relentless opponent on the enemy's back....never let em catch a breath!

·
Registered
277 Posts
you NYers need to convince 5 hunters around you to do the same.

A conservation director that introduces legislation to ban hunting/trapping has no business running a conservation department.

·
Registered
17,539 Posts
Rich,

My advice to you:

Doctariafc, hats off to you
thesource, how the hell can you condemn a man for a passion encompassing all facets of conservation wildlife and hunting claiming his hysteria is overboard. Do you realize that it takes people like him to keep others in the loop and make it possible for you to rant about Fair Chase.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
you NYers need to convince 5 hunters around you to do the same.

A conservation director that introduces legislation to ban hunting/trapping has no business running a conservation department.

That's a really good suggestion. I've already written my senator and will work to get other hunters here in my area to do the same.

And for the record: thanks Doctari, for keeping this one in the spotlight. Most of us here would have slept throught this one. Keep it up.

Steve

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
doc, just emailed my sen. I will be @ a wild game dinner tomorrow night. There will be about 150 sportsman there. I'll urge them to do the same. I will also hand out copies of your letter. Could you give me a couple/few (not to many, need to remember them, hard drive is almost full...) examples of his voting or policies that show his anti hunting/fishing/firearm agenda? thanks

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
thesource, how the hell can you condemn a man for a passion encompassing all facets of conservation wildlife and hunting claiming his hysteria is overboard. Do you realize that it takes people like him to keep others in the loop and make it possible for you to rant about Fair Chase.
I'm not condemning him.

I am advising him.

I appreciate that Rich is passionate about NY outdoor sports and the fact that he does what he feels is best to support them.

But there is more than one set way to support hunting. Sometimes political posturing is simply politics .... and not necessarily what is best for hunting.

Political grandstanding over every issue makes any true crisis appear insignificant - they become just another rant.

It becomes difficult to separate the truly dangerous from the mostly meaningless because the rhetoric spirals up to shrill for any cause.

The danger of being out on the extreme right or the extreme left is that no one believes you if and when your viewpoint finally becomes relevant.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'm not condemning him.

I am advising him.

I appreciate that Rich is passionate about NY outdoor sports and the fact that he does what he feels is best to support them.

But there is more than one set way to support hunting. Sometimes political posturing is simply politics .... and not necessarily what is best for hunting.

Political grandstanding over every issue makes any true crisis appear insignificant - they become just another rant.

It becomes difficult to separate the truly dangerous from the mostly meaningless because the rhetoric spirals up to shrill for any cause.

The danger of being out on the extreme right or the extreme left is that no one believes you if and when your viewpoint finally becomes relevant.
OFF TOPIC

Not sure this thread requested any advice. Especially from one whose use of hyperbole (i.e. "political grandstanding over every issue") to describe a legitimate attempt to involve us in the political process that affects us as NY bowhunters seems a bit much from one who generally has never overreacted to any issue himself. ('let him who is without sin cast the first stone')

What is your angle here? How do you or we benefit from your hijack of Doctari's thread to pose your advice? Either the issue is important or it isn't.

Is it, or isn't it?

If you are really concerned about the use of political capital, why not start another thread with your views on how an issue should be presented, and how to make the most of one's credibility and hold off on detracting from threads that don't call for " advice"?

Or perhaps you have other motivations for your considered 'critique' of Rich's concern over this issue?

Again, keep up the good work Doctari.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
OFF TOPIC

Not sure this thread requested any advice. Especially from one whose use of hyperbole (i.e. "political grandstanding over every issue") to describe a legitimate attempt to involve us in the political process that affects us as NY bowhunters seems a bit much from one who generally has never overreacted to any issue himself. ('let him who is without sin cast the first stone')

What is your angle here? How do you or we benefit from your hijack of Doctari's thread to pose your advice? Either the issue is important or it isn't.

Is it, or isn't it?

If you are really concerned about the use of political capital, why not start another thread with your views on how an issue should be presented, and how to make the most of one's credibility and hold off on detracting from threads that don't call for " advice"?

Or perhaps you have other motivations for your considered 'critique' of Rich's concern over this issue?

Again, keep up the good work Doctari.
Amen spoco! I dont see him doing anything beneficial except stirring the pot

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
doc, just emailed my sen. I will be @ a wild game dinner tomorrow night. There will be about 150 sportsman there. I'll urge them to do the same. I will also hand out copies of your letter. Could you give me a couple/few (not to many, need to remember them, hard drive is almost full...) examples of his voting or policies that show his anti hunting/fishing/firearm agenda? thanks
Here you go... Thanks much. Everyone! I truly mean it.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A03847&sh=t

http://www.ussportsmen.org/Billtrack/detail.cfm?id=5747

http://www.ussportsmen.org/Billtrack/detail.cfm?id=5748

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A00076

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A03847

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A03451

This is his own record on the Assembly Site of legislation he has sponsored and put forth.

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=065&sh=spo

Its a little bit of work to sift through, as it encompasses all sorts of bills and activities. His voting record is also on his portal. Of course, it is all broken down by Bill Number. The following is a link to SCOPE, their legislative archives of all the actions they track concerning firearms-related bills. These include the bill number, and can be used as a reference to compare bills in Grannis' voting record. But the links above provide ample example. His name is all over these bills!

http://www.scopeny.org/ARCHIVES/SCOPE_Legislative_Report.pdf

Please, also, extend this information to anglers as well, as the ripple affect of the anti-trapping, anti-hunting and anti 2nd amendment actions Grannis is well known for will affect angliers as well, through further depletion of the Conservation Fund. Remember, the CF is built by all of us, not one facet or the other. LOwer revenues from hunters and trappers also affects fisheries management and maintenance, too, including access to great fishing.

I have posted this puppy up on iceshanty.com as well.

Thanks again everyone for your prompt attention and action in this matter. What is excellent to see about this... we had two choices in directions to go. Either shake our heads and throw our hands up, or unite to fight and protect our natural resources and our abilities to enjoy them. We are choosing to unite and fight!

Thank you, thank you, thank you all!

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ttt

1 - 20 of 73 Posts