Archery Talk Forum banner

O.K. Mathews guys I admit it, I kinda liked the Monster

923 Views 13 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Bllade
I'm a Hoyt guy and I know you guys have seen me throwing out a few mathews jabs on here every now and then even though there was nothing bad meant by them. I shot the monster yesterday set on 29" draw and 60 lbs and I have to say it wasn't bad at all. Absolutely no hand shock and the draw cycle wasn't bad either. The only negatives I see are the noise ( it seemed really loud) and I didn't care for the very cheaply made Mathews string suppressor that was on it. I think you could fix both of these things though and I loved the color of the lettering on the limbs. One other thing, like rodney482 said those limb bolts sticking down through the riser kinda bugged me and that barrel nut that the limb bolts screw into should be black not gold! Mathews REALLY needs to fix those last 2 things I mentioned.I think this bow would be hot as hell in all black! I think if you want one get a 50-60 lber and even at 60 lbs I think this thing would blow right through an elk. By the way I'm having my crow deep fried tonight. :wink:
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
36,135 Posts
anyone that purchased the bow will more than likely be very happy with it.

Most will shoot better groups with it because it is quite a bit heavier than the last few mathews to come out, and from the short period of time I spent with it I could tell it will be a great shooter.

Its going to be a great seller.

I hope they rethink those ugly limb bolts and all the highly polished brass needs to be reconsidered.

I too really like shooting it at 60 lbs,,its smokin fast for a 60lb bow...Yeah that string stopper looks like something they took about 3 seconds to design. the duravane string tamer with the damper in it looks much better and performs just as good.

· Registered
915 Posts
as a multi-brand fanboy :tongue: i read this post with pleasure , you are a
smart honest guy , as all archers should be in a perfect world .
congrats for the post ! :thumbs_up .....

my turn :

when i joined AT i have bashed Mathews some times mainly because of their advertising , after having carefully read others opinions , i changed my mind .
i was wrong . i will never bash any brand or bow again , never ! ....
cause i realize it's a not fair for the guy who has bought and enjoy his bow .
who i am to make him worry about his purchase , reliability , etc ?.....
we are all archers and by now i understand the meaning of AT :
" archers helping archers " .........
thanks to mathews guys for proving me wrong ! i now own a DXT and absolutely love this bow !
i have ordered a monster now and i am currently trading a recurve for a HCA speedpro .

· Registered
36,135 Posts
as a multi-brand fanboy :tongue: i read this post with pleasure , you are a
smart honest guy , as all archers should be in a perfect world .
congrats for the post ! :thumbs_up .....

my turn :

when i joined AT i have bashed Mathews some times mainly because of their advertising , after having carefully read others opinions , i changed my mind .
i was wrong . i will never bash any brand or bow again , never ! ....
cause i realize it's a not fair for the guy who has bought and enjoy his bow .
who i am to make him worry about his purchase , reliability , etc ?.....
we are all archers and by now i understand the meaning of AT :
" archers helping archers " .........
thanks to mathews guys for proving me wrong ! i now own a DXT and absolutely love this bow !
i have ordered a monster now and i am currently trading a recurve for a HCA speedpro .
Roadrunner has never been a basher even though he trys to portray one:wink:

You should see him when I let him shoot my Mathews, he gets all giddy..

By the way good post!!! I like your style:thumbs_up

· Registered
1,181 Posts
I shot one today at LAS. It was the first of the 'speed bows' I've every shot. For those who haven't shot it, I'd describe the draw cycle like this...at the point where cams usually roll over and the let off takes over, this thing got even harder for a second and then let off into a very firm wall.

I'm no expert or anything, I don't even know the terminology to describe it correctly. I don't know if it was 'good' or 'bad', but it wasn't something I'd buy. It was absolutely dead though, no shock at all.

· Registered
7,330 Posts
Today I was getting my Martin worked on and saw the shop had a Monster. Tried it out and it was Awesome! I loved it. Ridiculously fast! 60#, 28" My DL is 30. Tried a Reezen also. Liked the Monster better. I'd buy it in a second if I had the money.

· save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,037 Posts
i havent shot one yet,but really it may be the bow to buy this year. after all, if something goes wrong and mathews is sorta slow in the customer service department, pse could fix it with 2 year old parts and be as good as new.....a fixed mathews on the cheap.

· I'm nicer than I appear
8,191 Posts
i havent shot one yet,but really it may be the bow to buy this year. after all, if something goes wrong and mathews is sorta slow in the customer service department, pse could fix it with 2 year old parts and be as good as new.....a fixed mathews on the cheap.
Not gonna ease up, huh Muley ?

The thing that intrigues me is....at 50 lbs this bow will STILL be shooting over 300 fps. I'd love to get that kind of kinetic energy at 50 lbs !! IMO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.