Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember (I think we all can) buying a hoyt that was called a "speed bow". Around 15 years ago a speed bow was anything over 240 fps. So I ask you...what constitutes being a speed bow? Who determines that?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
binaries, hybrids and duals - 340+
single cams - 325+
Huh?! What do you consider average? I'd say over 325 is a speed bow but then again I think the definition of a "speed bow" has changed a little over the last couple of years.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
340 + fps to me is a speed bow regardless of how many cams it has :darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Speed bow

I honestly beleive a speed bow is anything under a 7 inch brace. 1, it will be fast, and 2, it may be shootable, but in all honestly, if they would admit it, they will shoot the one with over 7 inch brace height better.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I remember (I think we all can) buying a hoyt that was called a "speed bow". Around 15 years ago a speed bow was anything over 240 fps. So I ask you...what constitutes being a speed bow? Who determines that?
15+ years ago the industry used AMO speed ratings 6 grains per pound 60 lbs @ 30" (?). Todays bows are listed in IBO ratings 5 grain per pound 70 lbs @ 30". Two different standards. IBO numbers are more appealling to buyers.:wink: But back to the question. I consider anybow rated 320+ (IBO) to be a speed bow. But the bar is always being raised with improved technology and todays claimed 350+ barnburners. Ask a recurve or a longbow shooter what he considers and fast bow and they will tell you anything over 200 fps.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I honestly beleive a speed bow is anything under a 7 inch brace. 1, it will be fast, and 2, it may be shootable, but in all honestly, if they would admit it, they will shoot the one with over 7 inch brace height better.
i have to agree with this man here even though i own an 82nd...

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
15+ years ago the industry used AMO speed ratings 6 grains per pound 60 lbs @ 30" (?). Todays bows are listed in IBO ratings 5 grain per pound 70 lbs @ 30". Two different standards. IBO numbers are more appealling to buyers.:wink: But back to the question. I consider anybow rated 320+ (IBO) to be a speed bow. But the bar is always being raised with improved technology and todays claimed 350+ barnburners. Ask a recurve or a longbow shooter what he considers and fast bow and they will tell you anything over 200 fps.

This sounds like the most rational description here. Thanks

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
It is silly to assign a certain FPS requirement in order for a bow to be considered a speed bow. I have a 31" draw, so for me, every bow is a speed bow. Someone who has a short draw or draws low draw weight can shoot a short brace height/ATA bow with agressive cams and a reflex riser to gain speed that they want to compensate for short draw length or low draw weight. To them, it is a speed bow even though it isn't going 325fps. :confused:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
And that's why Eric Griggs shot a 300 60x score with an Xforce. :wink:
I always note that these events are notable *because* they are hard to do. How many times does someone point out "Look someone with perfect form and a forgiving target set up won tournament!!!!"? There is a reason why that stands out.

One could take a hooter shooter and a 4" brace ultra fast super duper bow and shoot a 900/90x at Vegas - doesn't mean in the hands of mere mortals that is going to happen much. When some of the pro's are approaching the consistency of a machine they can get away with a lot of things. Of course, shoot whatever floats your boat - if you think the ultimate setup is a 350fps IBO bow with a whisker biscuit, no peep, and shooting fiberglass arrows with flu-flu feathers more power to you - if you are happy with your shooting then I wouldn't change a thing. Heck, you may very well beat me and my target bow soundly in a tournament.

I mostly agree with the person who said lower than a 7" brace height. Though I would generally put it as any bow with a focus on speed over forgiveness and accuracy (it just so happens that under a 7" BH is one of the major things that determines that). How fast said bow shoots is mostly irrelevant, one day we may all be looking at a 360fps bow as a very very slow target bow.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Maybe different standards, but a different build quality of bow that can shoot a lighter arrow without damage is STILL a better bow...

As for the shorter bh, it's all relative... I've had bows pushing the 8" bh mark and w/ longer ATA, and with my 26" draw length, nothing has been more accurate in my hands than the X-Force HF (aka XF6). There's more to building an accurate bow than meets the conventional eye, especially in the hands of someone requiring a shorter BH to get an average powerstroke out of a bow... As for conventional wisdom concerning ATA (i.e. longer is "better), rotational inertia is one thing, but so is manageability in terms of height (fit to the shooter), and also string angle (shorter draw = less string angle, which means shorter draw archers get more forgiveness out of shorter ATA bows than long draw archers).

There are no absolutes. :)

·
saskarcher
5,124 Posts
Hey, my recurve can shoot at over 200 fps. THAT is a speedbow in the recurve world..

A "speedbow" is mainly in the eye of the bow SELLER. imo.

a "lure"

speedbows are not only marketed in the compound genra.

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts

What he said.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts