Archery Talk Forum banner

Obsessed with Speed

4950 Views 138 Replies 65 Participants Last post by  Hammer 1
Why are so many people obsessed with speed? It seems more and more people are shooting light arrows to get more speed. This may be alright for 3d, but for hunting why would you shoot light arrows? Arrows in the mid range, 370 grain to 400 grain shoot quieter, penetrate more and are easier on the Bow, and have plenty o speed.
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

· Registered
708 Posts
Last year my arrows were in the 370's...this year they're 356..I'll be testing your penetration theory, however I do agree they are easier on the bow. But hey that's why we all shoot something different, cause its our equipment to screw up! :)

· Registered
1,191 Posts
I'm with yOu. My GT velOcities at 364 grs were faaaaast but prefer the max 450 at 409 grs. Still plenty fast but bow is much quieter and arrows bury much deeper.

· Registered
1,944 Posts
i agree with you. speed speed speed is all people ask for any more. i like 380gr to 450gr on my hunting bow, and most of the time i can get 270 or 280fps which is where i like to stay with my broadheads and still plenty of energy. they seem to fly better also.

· Anti Fanboy
49,908 Posts
Heres one for ya.
Due to a bad shoulder I had to lower my DW a bunch.
Therefore I just purchesed a fast bow so I can shoot it at 50 pounds and still maintain enough uumph to shoot a heavier arrow and larger broadhead.
That way I still get the desired results I'm looking for.

· Registered
374 Posts
I shoot a 290 grain arrow last year at 58# and still had a pass thru at 30 yds. on my buck.so the heavy weight/penatration is not much of an issue with todays bows.The arrow speed was 320ft/sec.

· Team #28
5,839 Posts
Why are so many people obsessed with speed? It seems more and more people are shooting light arrows to get more speed. This may be alright for 3d, but for hunting why would you shoot light arrows? Arrows in the mid range, 370 grain to 400 grain shoot quieter, penetrate more and are easier on the Bow, and have plenty o speed.
For the same reason that we want the fastest cars, the biggest houses, the most jacked up trucks. In America it is all about having the biggest, fastest and most of everything.

· Registered
46 Posts
Is there a NEED to send a 350-400gr arrow at 400fps down range? yes and no
It helps the arrow travel a flatter trajectory. Good for 3D yes, good for more possitive placement of kill shot in the field-yes(more humane and responsible as a hunter)
True you dont need it. Does it have a possitive improvement for our sport(s)-YES!

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also have a bad shoulder (rotator cuff srugery) and only shoot 52# and 362 grains, before the shoulder injury I shot 65# and 402 grains......markb317 has a Good Point...290 grain arrow at 58#, 320fps and a pass thru at 30yds. Sounds good to me, maybe weight/penetration is less an issue then we think. Thanks to everyone for their input, great info.

· Registered
6,506 Posts
Is there a NEED to send a 350-400gr arrow at 400fps down range? yes and no NO
It helps the arrow travel a flatter trajectory. Good for 3D yes, good for more possitive placement of kill shot in the field-yes NO(more humane and responsible as a hunter)
True you dont need it. Does it have a possitive improvement for our sport(s)-YES! NO
you couldnt be more wrong.
so what your saying is im not a humane or responsible hunter if i dont have a speed bow?
at what speed does a person become a responsible and humane hunter?

i shoot a 30 inch draw at 70 pounds and a 391 gr arrow and i only get 280ish. is that Humane enough for you or do i need to sell all my gear and buy a 340 to 350 bow.

accuracy should never be sacrificed for anything even speed. i will take my slow accurate bows over a speed bow any day of the week.

Tony

· Registered
232 Posts
I have been shooting a 360 grain arrow for the past 4 years. Well, 6 deer in the freezer all with complete pass throughs. Soooooooo i am sticking with what works for me. Super fast and super sharp!!!

· Registered
607 Posts
I am one that likes speed, the faster the bow the faster I can shoot my heavy arrows. I like a minimum weight of 420grs. I am now shooting a 480gr. arrow faster at less DW. That is why I like speed.
I'm with this guy! More speed means I can move my heavy arrow faster. I consistently shoot game further that 40 yds so speed is a little bit of a factor but I gotta have the momentum in the arrow especially cause I like to shoot big BH's. I would think all you treestand boys out their, that like to keep it closer to 20yds, would rather hit em with everything you got. Why so much speed for 20yds, deer will jump the string regardless of the 20 more fps!

· Registered
7,265 Posts
Amen to what Tony said!

I've seen too many of these superstar bowhunters on tv getting 8 or 10 inches of penetration with light arrows, fast bows, and poor shot placement. Kinda hate to bring it up, but maybe not the best broadhead selection, either.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.