Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get the opportunity to be off work early 12/9.. the wind is right. .. sunny... 48 degrees.. yep, time for a quicky.

I get in my stand by 3pm, re-range my open shot areas for yardage and thus starts the game. Sunset was to be at 4:44pm. At approximately 4:30pm 2 does appear out of the thicket at 20 yards... meat in the freezer I thought. ... as they mill around with me waiting for 1 to present an open shot, a nice big bodied 8 pt steps out at 30yrds.. ooooo.. heart starts beating now...

With the does activly browsing and moving a bit farther away they aren't paying attention so I draw, center my pin over the perfect broadside quartering way shot I have ever had, text book, and release. Away screams my bright red nocturnal! And then the weirdest thing.... it just hung there in mid air.. like someone was pointing a laser pointer at the deers vitals and saying this is where you need to shoot him.. I stare in disbelief for about 8 sec and the buck just looks at the arrow and it falls to the ground. He looks at the arrow laying on the ground and then steps on the bh end pointing the nocturnal straight up and suddenly bounds away.

I sit there for 5 min but its getting to last light so I get down and go retrieve my arrow. Come to find out a thin vine, that I couldn't see, had caught my arrow... learning experience: vines equal deer force fields... lol..:what an experience.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Oh man!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I had that happen yrs ago. arrow split a small vertical sapling, bent toward the deer and snapped back toward me. Split the sapling dead center. Nothing you can do but laugh!(after you cry?)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Bummer.

The first deer my wife ever shot at was on the other side of a barbed wire fence at 15 yds. Her arrow dead centers one of the wires and bounces back toward us. The little 6 point just flinches a little and walks away. Couldn't happen again in a hundred years.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,614 Posts
Sorry to hear about it. Those uncontrollable thing always get me too.

·
177 5/8"
2,102 Posts
Tiny twigs and unseen branches have cost me at least 5 P&Y bucks over the years. One was an absolute giant that was bigger than most people are willing to believe when I tell about it. For this reason, I'm extremely particular about having clear shooting lanes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts