Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago on during the first week of Ohio gun season, I tagged along with a buddy to walk a piece of public hunting property not far from my house. I had never walked this particular ground but had drove past it and looked at it several times on a topo/arial map...... and thought it could be good. I had zero intentions of shooting a deer (because I has already shot my buck and I don't care to shoot does with the herd low in my area) but took my gun to shoot any coyotes I may see. Our plan was to do still hunt it slowly and in the thicker areas I would push towards him. Again, I had zero intentions of shooting a deer.

Once at the parking lot, my buddy and I got dressed and were just about to start walking away from the truck when I realized I had forgotten my deer tag and hunting license at home, on my truck window visor. I told my buddy I'de forgotten my tags and we debated if it was an actual "written law" that the tag/license must be on your person. I was fairly confident that the law only stated that you must tag a deer before immediately upon finding it and/or before moving it. I also was confident, if push came to shove, I could find a digital copy in email via smartphone because I always screen shot tag/license and email it to myself.

So after some debate, I told my buddy "We'll only be here for a minute.....I'll be alright". I hadn't so much got those words out of my mouth when the ODNR officer pulled his truck in the parking lot. Two officers got out of the truck and one officer walked up to my buddy and I, and asked for tag and license. I told them I didn't physically have it on me and asked if they could look it up electronically. The officer was very polite and said yes but he needed my drivers license. I gave him my drivers license and he called in my info via radio. Soon the dispatcher came back with confirmation that I was valid and then my buddy got checked (he had his paperwork and was also valid). That's when officer number two walked over to me and gave me stern warning that IF I HADNT BEEN STILL STANDING AT THE TRUCK (like actually hunting) he would write me a citation. He said a digital copy on my phone will work for the Ohio hunting license but the deer permit must be carried while hunting. I told him I wouldn't carry a gun then and put it in my truck. He said that was a good idea and bid farewell.

The rest of the day I was kinda salty about the whole ordeal. I was pretty confident a law about carrying your permit didn't exist. I got a book out and skimmed it over. I couldn't find the law anywhere. So I made a small post about my ordeal on a Ohio based hunting forum. It didn't take long for a few guys to find what I didn't and tell me the exact page and paragraph. Page 37 under ELECTRONIC LICENSES

So I looked it up for myself and there it was.....in black and white. Now I would still say that the law is vague and that a law can't be broken until the act of shooting a deer is committed. I mean I owned the tag, it was printed and it's valid....but not needed yet. So I say it's a debatable offense. But the kicker to the story was the picture just below the ELECTRONIC LICENSE paragraph.

Yeah....that's me. Isn't life ironic?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The reason it has to be carried is because it has to be filled out at the same time that you make and attach the temporay tag to the animal. That way people do not get the animal home and decide to cheat.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Most of those guys are arrogant condescending pricks! I've had dealings with some of them over the 20+yrs and 99% of the time they are aholes to you even if you did nothing wrong. I have called about questions and they are aholes too.

Now as far as keeping the tag on you. That doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense because you don't have to use that tag anymore for the animal you use a piece of card stock or something and put name, date, time, county, person and put on the deer only to be taken home or who knows where and called in so as long as you purchased a tag that pays their salary then what's the big deal? You get that 20 something digit number when you call it in and that's really the only thing the butcher and ODNR want right? Its been a few years since I've killed an Ohio deer but the first few years with the non check stations i put an information tag on it with my info and went home and called it in and wrote the number down on the tag and once we ate all the meat i burned the tag. One would think the information tag which is really all that's legally supposed to be on it would suffice.

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
What you deserve for gun hunting anyway. :darkbeer:

·
USAF Retired
3,521 Posts
Not sure what is vague.
From the handbook.

Hunting means pursuing, shooting, killing, following after or on the trail of, lying in wait for, shooting at, or wounding wild birds or wild quadrupeds while employing any device commonly used to kill or wound wild birds or wild quadrupeds, whether such acts result in such killing or wounding or not. It includes every attempt to kill or wound and every act of assistance to any other person in killing or wounding or attempting to kill or wound wild birds or wild quadrupeds.

Electronic Licenses

Licenses and permits can also be purchased on a mobile device. Hunters must carry their licenses and permits at all times while hunting, and must present their license upon request. Licenses can be displayed on a mobile device. However, deer and turkey permits are only valid when printed and carried by the hunter.

You had your license, but not your permit.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Most of those guys are arrogant condescending pricks! I've had dealings with some of them over the 20+yrs and 99% of the time they are aholes to you even if you did nothing wrong. I have called about questions and they are aholes too.

Now as far as keeping the tag on you. That doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense because you don't have to use that tag anymore for the animal you use a piece of card stock or something and put name, date, time, county, person and put on the deer only to be taken home or who knows where and called in so as long as you purchased a tag that pays their salary then what's the big deal? You get that 20 something digit number when you call it in and that's really the only thing the butcher and ODNR want right? Its been a few years since I've killed an Ohio deer but the first few years with the non check stations i put an information tag on it with my info and went home and called it in and wrote the number down on the tag and once we ate all the meat i burned the tag. One would think the information tag which is really all that's legally supposed to be on it would suffice.
now your sounding like Cranky and any LE ... smh .. some of them are good friends of mine... very reasonable fellows, until they up up against pricks ..

·
Registered
304 Posts

Agree it doesn’t make sense, but it is correct. The tag even states not to attach it to animal, so why you must have the printed version is a bit of a head scratcher. It probably is based on making it as quick as possible for GW to check if person is legal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure what is vague.
From the handbook.

Hunting means pursuing, shooting, killing, following after or on the trail of, lying in wait for, shooting at, or wounding wild birds or wild quadrupeds while employing any device commonly used to kill or wound wild birds or wild quadrupeds, whether such acts result in such killing or wounding or not. It includes every attempt to kill or wound and every act of assistance to any other person in killing or wounding or attempting to kill or wound wild birds or wild quadrupeds.

Electronic Licenses

Licenses and permits can also be purchased on a mobile device. Hunters must carry their licenses and permits at all times while hunting, and must present their license upon request. Licenses can be displayed on a mobile device. However, deer and turkey permits are only valid when printed and carried by the hunter.

You had your license, but not your permit.
The way I see it the permit may only be valid when printed and carried of you but first you must shoot a deer. So.......Is it really breaking a law if you don't shoot a deer? What would they write you up for?.....hunting without a permit.......but I have a permit????? So........

And then to further muddy the water. I can assist my buddy by pursuing deer and pushing them to him....but then I'm ok not to have a permit????? Sounds kinda hypocritical

·
Registered
2,612 Posts

now your sounding like Cranky and any LE ... smh .. some of them are good friends of mine... very reasonable fellows, until they up up against pricks ..
Yep I'm a giant prick. I've met two that were good guys but the others are on a power trip when it comes to slinging tickets or trying to catch you up on something. the others are good guys and have helped me with good public land and private spots. I've forgot license in truck, lost it in woods, and get the riot act. others it's not an issue they say we understand. Btw worked in private LE field years ago so not against LE.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts