Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Matthews VXR 28 | QAD Ultra HD Rest | Black Gold Ascent Verdict | Shrewd Stabilizers
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, It may just be because of Army life and wanting to establish muscle memory, or maybe it's because I really enjoy shooting my new VXR. I was just curious how often you guys shoot during the off-season? I find myself shooting at least 50-75 shots a day throughout the day... and night.. 10-15 minute sessions sporadically of course. I only have about 23yds in the back yard and a 3D Deer target and block target. I ditched shooting at the block target and am now only shooting at the 3D target.

Do you guys switch up the stance of your deer to practice quartering too and away shots? After I chewed up the target block broadside I figured I'd get more shots on quartering away lol.. Any recommended training to make it more "realistic"? I was thinking to take my 3D target in the woods this weekend and practice from different angles and potentially breaking out the tree stand and try from there?

I know that was a lot to sift through but any feedback on any of the questions would be awesome!

Night time range time馃槑

Registered
Mathews Atlas, Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL, QAD HDX, Conquest Stabs, Black Eagle Rampage Arrows
With my busy work schedule I only get to practice on weekends, but I get in a couple hundred arrows a weekend. Also keep myself busy building arrows throughout the week or tweeking equipment for a half hour or so a day, just to keep my sanity. A few times throughout the summer I鈥檒l also shoot from a stand or saddle just to keep in the swing of things. Always at multiple distances and angles.

Registered
Nice setup. I shoot about 4-5 days a week for about hopefully 1-1.5 hr, depending on weather, time, tiredness, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 0HnoNotAgain256

Slinging Arrows
First off, thank you for your service!
I try and shoot everyday. The number of arrows are not important. What is important is the quality of the practice. I can do 40 yards as I use the side of the house. I shoot at 2" coding dots on a bag target which I move around (high left, low right, center, etc) , I shoot broadheads at my block target and hunting/3D arrows at my 3D target.
Do you shoot any 3D matches?

Registered
Awesome range. I think if you鈥檙e shooting different angles and elevation you will be good for the season. I shoot a bag target out to 40 yards at my house and try to get at least 30 minutes a day shooting time. I鈥檓 planning on investing in a deer target in a month or so to make it more realistic for hunting situations. Not to mention I really enjoy shooting and it鈥檚 a great stress reliever. I get lost in the flight of the arrow

Registered
Matthews VXR 28 | QAD Ultra HD Rest | Black Gold Ascent Verdict | Shrewd Stabilizers
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off, thank you for your service!
I try and shoot everyday. The number of arrows are not important. What is important is the quality of the practice. I can do 40 yards as I use the side of the house. I shoot at 2" coding dots on a bag target which I move around (high left, low right, center, etc) , I shoot broadheads at my block target and hunting/3D arrows at my 3D target.
Do you shoot any 3D matches?
Never shot in a 3D match before, didn't even know that was a thing until I got on here. Last season was our (my son and I) first season hunting and I was shooting a crossbow.. This is really my first week ever shooting a compound bow.. I do plan on maybe reinforcing my shooting area on the back fence and I wouldn't mind picking up a coyote 3D target. We had a lot of success last year taking out coyotes while sitting for deer. They offer bounties on Redstone Arsenal (where we hunt here in Alabama). As I improve my form and grouping consistency I'm gonna try shooting from a stool etc.

3D targets are super expensive though, the foam inserts are half the cost of the animal, and at the rate I shoot I'd be spending $50 a month on inserts lol!

Reactions: mscott327

Mark
I shoot year round and try to shoot 3-4 times a week if not more. My best advice to you is start shooting 3D outings. They can be a lot of fun and the best practice for hunting. I shoot a lot in early spring thru summer practicing for 3D

Registered
During the summer months I shoot when I feel like it. I don鈥檛 have a set schedule or number of arrows. I do shoot at longer distances though. A month before opener I increase my shooting to 3 to four times a week, shorten up and go elevated. I may shoot a quiver or two or three, again whatever I feel like. I really don鈥檛 look at quantity of arrows but quality of each shot.

Registered
I have less than 10 shots through my compound since i killed a doe on December 26th. I shoot my recurve multiple times a day.
I鈥檝e never had an issue shooting elevations, so i don鈥檛 waste my time on that.

Registered
There really isn't an "off season".... Deer season starts in the fall and goes to winter. Spot season overlaps from fall through winter into spring. 3D season starts in the spring and goes through till fall. Spring Gobbler season overlaps with 3D for the month of May...

In other words, it's always archery season. The only thing that changes is the target!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There really isn't an "off season".... Deer season starts in the fall and goes to winter. Spot season overlaps from fall through winter into spring. 3D season starts in the spring and goes through till fall. Spring Gobbler season overlaps with 3D for the month of May...

In other words, it's always archery season. The only thing that changes is the target!!!!
Well said... guess I gotta start looking for some 3D outings near me!

Registered
Well said... guess I gotta start looking for some 3D outings near me!
Where are you stationed??? Most places I've been has an archery club/range on post or there are civilian clubs near by.... Most every club I've heard of has 3D with some level of regularity... it's the prime source of revenue for my club.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Redstone Arsenal, AL. Ill look up clubs around me in the forums or ask around at my local pro shops.

Registered
None
I try to shoot everyday. Shooter on feradyne outdoors are relatively cheap don't own any but I'm gonna get that shooter buck soon

Reactions: 0HnoNotAgain256

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I shoot as often as the Ohio weather allows. I try to practice as at 40, 50 and 60 or 50, 60 and 70 when shooting at home. Makes 10, 20 and 30 feel a lot easier once hunting season rolls around. View attachment 7422516
Now thats a backyard range!! I guess for archery instead of aim small miss small it's practice far hunt close!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts