Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get started with fletching my own arrows. Iwill be starting with 2 inch blazers on 2314's. I understand helical placement. However, I do not have a handle on what is meant by offset. Please help.
Thank you.
Roy

· Registered
755 Posts
Offset is the angle off from the centerline of the arrow. So instead of running straight down the centerline the vane is offset to the right. Some people say 2 degrees - but really think is impossible to measure.
Rt helical and rt offset are especially good if you need to stabilize braodheads.

My indoor arrows do not have helical, only rt offset.
The amount of offset is regulated by the arrow shaft dimension. You have to keep the vane in full contact with the shaft.

· have bow-will travel
3,997 Posts
I always fletch my arrows with a straight clamp but with as much offset as is possible. My arrows spin in flight, you can see them turning.

· Registered
165 Posts
I thought offset was the angle of rotation of the shaft from the base of the vane to the tip of the vane. Or is it as Aim4Gold describes, the angle between the vane and the centerline? To calculate the former: First find out the outside diameter of the shaft. Then draw a line parallel to the shaft from the base of a vane. Measure the perpendicular distance along the surface of the shaft from the line you just drew to the tip end of the vane. Take that distance divided by the circumference (pi times outside diameter) of the shaft to get the percent of offset. Then use a proportion to calculate degrees (percent of offset times 360 then divide by 100). So, if correct, this means that a vane length change or a shaft diameter change changes the degree of offset.

· (aka lug nut)
54,880 Posts
I thought offset was the angle of rotation of the shaft from the base of the vane to the tip of the vane. Or is it as Aim4Gold describes, the angle between the vane and the centerline? To calculate the former: First find out the outside diameter of the shaft. Then draw a line parallel to the shaft from the base of a vane. Measure the perpendicular distance along the surface of the shaft from the line you just drew to the tip end of the vane. Take that distance divided by the circumference (pi times outside diameter) of the shaft to get the percent of offset. Then use a proportion to calculate degrees (percent of offset times 360 then divide by 100). So, if correct, this means that a vane length change or a shaft diameter change changes the degree of offset.
Not that complicated.

Blazer vanes use a 2-DEGREE offset (not percent).

So,
2-degrees of angle
just means that for a vane that is 2-inches long (Blazers)...

make the front of the vane 1/16th inch away from the arrow centerline
if
you put the back end of the vane DEAD on top of the arrow centerline.

So,
just eyeball the centerline of the arrow,
and put the back end of the vane dead on top
and
adjust your fletching jig
so the front of the Blazer is about 1/16th inch to the right
of the arrow centerline.

This is called a RIGHT offset,
cuz the front of the vane is located to the RIGHT of the centerline
(looking towards the point of the arrow).

· Registered
2,526 Posts
Not that complicated.

Blazer vanes use a 2-DEGREE offset (not percent).

So,
2-degrees of angle
just means that for a vane that is 2-inches long (Blazers)...

make the front of the vane 1/16th inch away from the arrow centerline
if
you put the back end of the vane DEAD on top of the arrow centerline.

So,
just eyeball the centerline of the arrow,
and put the back end of the vane dead on top
and
adjust your fletching jig
so the front of the Blazer is about 1/16th inch to the right
of the arrow centerline.

This is called a RIGHT offset,
cuz the front of the vane is located to the RIGHT of the centerline
(looking towards the point of the arrow).
Thanks I needed that. I was putting the front of the blazer to the right of center as you suggest, but the rear the same amount to the left versus center as you suggested.

· have bow-will travel
3,997 Posts
Rocketman, you are increasing overall offset like that. I also adjust the jig front and back to get the most offset possible. It may not be the best for longer range shooting due to velocity decay but it sure is a stable arrow for the 40yds max that I shoot.

· (aka lug nut)
54,880 Posts
Thanks I needed that. I was putting the front of the blazer to the right of center as you suggest, but the rear the same amount to the left versus center as you suggested.
You can do it that way too.

You can have the front of the vane to the right of the centerline.
You can have the rear of the vane to the left of centerline.

If the total left to right distance is 1/16th inch,
then you have a 2-degree offset,
for a 2-inch long Blazer vane.

· Registered
2,526 Posts
You can do it that way too.

You can have the front of the vane to the right of the centerline.
You can have the rear of the vane to the left of centerline.

If the total left to right distance is 1/16th inch,
then you have a 2-degree offset,
for a 2-inch long Blazer vane.
After you thoughts, I fletched 1/16 front to right / rear centered. Flew fine at/to 50 yds. So that would be 1 degree OS?! I'm going to try above 1/16th in either direction to get 2 degree.

Thanks again

· Registered
90 Posts
Okay, now that I know what "offset" is, what is meant by "helical"? Are they the same thing? Just curious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.