Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm getting my extras ready for my new recurve (on order). Thought I'd get some arrows ordered so long. I just wanted to make sure I get the arrow length correct, so as to get the right arrow. Well, stuck an arrow (my compound hunting arrow) on a club recurve last night and it was wayyyy to short (28.5" arrow). I'd probably be looking at shooting 31" arrows out of my recurve. Does this sound right??!?!? The main reason seems to be the deflex in the compound riser.

I'm just worried that a 31" arrow (with the right spine) is going to weigh just about a ton. I'd be looking at shooting arrows between 450-500 gr (including a 100 gr BH). Is this realistic? (Draw weight will be around 45-50# at my drawlength).

Hope you can explain the loooong arrow phenomena...

Greg

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
22,033 Posts
Hello Greg,

Greg>>I'm getting my extras ready for my new recurve (on order). Thought I'd get some arrows ordered so long. I just wanted to make sure I get the arrow length correct, so as to get the right arrow. Well, stuck an arrow (my compound hunting arrow) on a club recurve last night and it was wayyyy to short (28.5" arrow). I'd probably be looking at shooting 31" arrows out of my recurve. Does this sound right??!?!?<<

This very much so can happen....Compounds rests dont' nessarily fall on the point of measurement for drawlength... take for example...a drop away rest. My TH Drop away rest is about (I am guessing here,because I am at work) 2 inches? behind where a regular rest would go.

I first rule of thumb when I shoot, is *never* cut the arrow to my Drawlength. I shoot full length Arrows. If anyone says "That is wrong", they don't know squat about Archery. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with shooting a longer arrow. If that arrow hangs out 3 inches past your riser... Who gives a hoot??? On my competition bow, they hang out maybe 4 to 5 inches...but for a barebow... I shoot in the 270's. I have seen where people say "It looks dumb"... Well to heck with them... grow up!... A short arrow shoots just as fine as a long arrow...The ONLY thing you gain, is a very VERY small amount of speed... Which is not even measureable hardly....unless you shoot at long ranges.

Greg>>I'm just worried that a 31" arrow (with the right spine) is going to weigh just about a ton.<<

Greg... try this... measure a arrow (full length)... then measure a arrow (cut to your size)...(better yet, look at the chart and see how much the arrow shaft weights per inch....Lets say a arrow weighs 15 grains per inch...(hey, we have one heck of a arrow here ok??) 31-28.5 = 2.5 inches... 2.5 x 15 = 38 grains.

Your total arrow weight is going to be roughly 28.8 x 15 + 100 + nock and feathers...550 grains of weight... 38 grains compaired to 550 grains??? its nothing...7 percent more weight. Speed will be affected only by a few feet per second...

Forget about the long arrow stuff... Pick the arrow... adjust the tip to the right weight, and go plug the "X".

Dwayne

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
I never shot longer arrows til a good friend of mine told me to try it. I shoot them better and I have a little extra weight for punch. I'll always shoot at least 32" arrows from now on.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I'm just worried that a 31" arrow (with the right spine) is going to weigh just about a ton.
Despite DwayneR being mostly correct, long arrows are going to be heavy. Believe me, I live this. I have an honest 32.5" draw. I was thinking about digging out the old wood riser recurve (these days I shoot metal riser recurves) and wanted to match some aluminum arrows to it. This is a target bow pulling 41-42 pounds at my draw. Unless I go to the thinnest walled shafts (my last experience was they could bend being pulled out of a target bale) I ended up with arrows weighing 454g. Reminded me of why I switched to carbon a while back. Even with carbon arrows, the lightest one I've ever shot came in at 9.2g/pound of draw weight. Those are my FITA target arrows and they are carbon/aluminum composits. My NFAA field arrows are 10g/pound of draw.

The only consolation is that with a longer draw you get a longer power stroke (distance the string is actually accelerating your arrow). Your performance (speed and cast) will be equivalent to a heavier poundage bow at the normal 28" draw. O.L.Adcock claims you get about 4% for each inch over 28" (and conversly loose 4% for each inch under).

Dave

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys,

It's not that I'm adverse to shooting a longer arrow - it's just that I find it odd that that I need such a long arrow. I estimate that my DL is only aout 28.5".

I prefer not shooting a long arrow btw - more surface area for wind to act on, so more compensation needed.

Can anybody recommend good hunting vanes (not feather pls) for a recurve that will be shooting off an elevated rest?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
gregvisser said:
Can anybody recommend good hunting vanes (not feather pls) for a recurve that will be shooting off an elevated rest?
I have had very good luck with FlexFletch vanes. They hold up well to shots through the desert and if applied according to their instructions don't come loose. I don't think you need anything bigger than their 4.18" and you might get good flight with their 3.6". They also make a 4" low profile that some 3D shooter I've talked to like very much.

Dave

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
22,033 Posts
Hello Greg,

Greg>>I prefer not shooting a long arrow btw - more surface area for wind to act on, so more compensation needed. <<

Surface area will not be measureable...the only things that will slow your arrow down that will be measureable to you are the following.

1. Weight of fieldtip.
2. type of feathers/veins.
3. Diameter of your arrows. ( this may not be that easily measured)

Lets face it... Weight is a factor...granted the less weight the faster the arrow...But it does take a bit of weight to make a noticeable difference...like my example I gave earlier. On the lighter arrows, 25 grains will make a bigger difference than on a heavier arrow.

Veins make a tremendous difference!...that is "drag". And drag that sticks directly up into the air moving past the arrow. You would be surprised on how much feathers/Veins will make. I shoot the smallest feathers possible to get the job done. On my competition bow, I have SIX 5 inch feathers for drag. But that bow is not made for "Speed". It clocks in at 99 FPS. My other clocks in at 125 feet per second.

Diameter of arrows will make a difference, but probably not measureable unless you go a long distance.

Dwayne

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'm built like a gorilla and I shoot 33 inch arrows. I need new arrows and I have some in mind, but I've noticed they only come in 32 inch lengths. I'm sure I could get away with 32 inchers without any problems. I'm launching my at around 42#. It sounds weird to be shooting long arrows, but they seem to fly just fine! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Totally off-topic and appologising for it !!!
@ DwayneR:

I noticed you use >> .. text .. << to quote someones text. Wouldn't it be easier to use the appropriate code for this. It is very easy to use and one masters it fast.
Just put [ quote=name ] in front, in stead off the >> and [ /quote ] to end
WITHOUT the spaces!
so
Code:
[ quote=Low_E] bla bla bla [/quote]
will give
Low_E said:
bla bla bla
.. just wanting to be helpfull :embarasse

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
22,033 Posts
Hello Low E,

Low E
Totally off-topic and appologising for it !!!
@ DwayneR:

I noticed you use >> .. text .. << to quote someones text. Wouldn't it be easier to use the appropriate code for this. It is very easy to use and one masters it fast.
Just put [ quote=name ] in front, in stead off the >> and [ /quote ] to end
WITHOUT the spaces!

There is no need to apologize my friend... I have a old habit from way back in the 70's when dial up modems were 300 baud, and HTML and all the other languages did not exist.

I know it sounds crazy, but its actually faster and easier for me to do it with the <<>> signs... Though you are absolutely correct... I should use the quotes and dividquotes.

Thanks for the reminder!

Dwayne

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
DwayneR said:
There is no need to apologize my friend... I have a old habit from way back in the 70's when dial up modems were 300 baud, and HTML and all the other languages did not exist.
HAHA, I somewhat know the feeling. I made some joke involving gopher a few days ago and got a "What's Gopher" comment. And that's just early 90's.

Maybe that's why I'm in the "traditional" section also :)

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
22,033 Posts
Hello strcpy,

S>>HAHA, I somewhat know the feeling. I made some joke involving gopher a few days ago and got a "What's Gopher" comment. And that's just early 90's.
<<

<chuckle> Yep... I know what you mean... Did you end up having to to explain what a "Gopher" was? Was it at your workplace?

Us C/C++ folks understand each other :wink:

Dwayne

·
Registered
65 Posts
All I knew is that it had something to do with computing ... so I looked it up, using wikipedia and gopher seems to be some protocol for that dissapeared when the inet as we know it got today born. A kind off pre-historic browser. Am I correct?

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
22,033 Posts
Hello Low E,

Low E
All I knew is that it had something to do with computing ... so I looked it up, using wikipedia and gopher seems to be some protocol for that dissapeared when the inet as we know it got today born. A kind off pre-historic browser. Am I correct?

Well Low E...I can read this answer as 2 ways...the first way I read it, I see a extremely well written sentence that has beautiful sarcasm, wittyness, and wonderfully placed descriptions of a good joke. In other words, I laughed at the response, because of all the hidden funny stuff that is basically true.

Then, I thought about it... and realized you are from a different country. I also realized I used C/C++ language to tell strcpy (which I am SURE he knows what strcpy is, because that is a command known to C/C++) that we have a lot in common. My response was a hidden sarcasm. And your response didn't have a smile on it, so maybe in your country, a Gopher may not be a slang for something.

Thus, if you know what a gopher is, you did a wonderful job of writing a funny reponse... and I loved it. Just in case English slang is not the same as your country's slang... a Gopher (Go Fer), Is a person who is paid to do things for others. They are called "GoFers" the person "Goes for that", "Goes for this".

Then there could be a 3rd! situation... It was *ME* that misunderstood the whole thing, and I am thinking of something entirely different that what strcpy is talking about!...that means *I* am lost!...<chuckle> It wouldn't be the first time for me!

Dwayne

1 - 15 of 15 Posts