Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the local mom and pop today just "looking around" a guy was at the G5 display. He had several packs of Montec Preseason and Small Game Heads. I picked up a pack of Strikers and he said, "I don't get those....I buy these they are cheaper!" I replied that they are "practice" heads. He then said, "I get them sharper than these". (pointed to the Strikers)...He then said he was going to try the SGH on a doe this year.
What do you say to people that are just oblivious? I am no means perfect..heck I kan't even spel!

5 minutes later.... I guess his brother/uncle/father was looking at some bows. I picked up an Air Raid and was checking it out. This cat says, "My bow is 20+ years old. All these new bow torque so bad they should be illegal. My bow doesn't torque at all." I kindly replied, "If so many of the new bows torque do you think it might not be the bow?" I must have struck a nerve because he then said, "I have been shooting for 30 years..hell last year I killed 2 deer with my bow at 80 and 90 yards!". I couldn't take it anymore. Even the guy behind the counter was red faced from holding back his laughter.
I think I might be a knucklehead magnet! :eek:

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
you should have asked if he was using a 308

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
You should probably have taken all of the SGH and practice heads out of his hands and just looked him in the eye and said, "i'm doing you a favor!! Your no longer allowed to hunt" then just put up the heads and walked out the door!! Would have to the whole WORLD a favor!!

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
:eek: it takes all kinds of people i guess....

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Tis the season Mono........Just sit outside the wally world for 10 minutes and see how many guys walk in and out of the store with thier "huntin cloths" on.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
You should probably have taken all of the SGH and practice heads out of his hands and just looked him in the eye and said, "i'm doing you a favor!! Your no longer allowed to hunt" then just put up the heads and walked out the door!! Would have to the whole WORLD a favor!!
Haha!!!! Some people are just stupid.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Here is what i say to guys like that. "Man the longer i stand here & listen to you talk the stupider i feel".:mg: Try it out on the next moron you run into & check out the look you get.:laugh:

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The worker knows I kind of know something about bows and bowhunting...I told him about the SGH and "Rainman" (Defiantly sparkly..defiantly)-he did go talk to him. I have always wondered why us bowhunters get such a negative rap!

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,248 Posts
"Strong like bull....dumb like rock".

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"It aint safe to be in the woods on opening day."

Run an archery shop for a few years and you will know what that means.

·
snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,983 Posts
In the local mom and pop today just "looking around" a guy was at the G5 display. He had several packs of Montec Preseason and Small Game Heads. I picked up a pack of Strikers and he said, "I don't get those....I buy these they are cheaper!" I replied that they are "practice" heads. He then said, "I get them sharper than these". (pointed to the Strikers)...He then said he was going to try the SGH on a doe this year.
What do you say to people that are just oblivious? I am no means perfect..heck I kan't even spel!

5 minutes later.... I guess his brother/uncle/father was looking at some bows. I picked up an Air Raid and was checking it out. This cat says, "My bow is 20+ years old. All these new bow torque so bad they should be illegal. My bow doesn't torque at all." I kindly replied, "If so many of the new bows torque do you think it might not be the bow?" I must have struck a nerve because he then said, "I have been shooting for 30 years..hell last year I killed 2 deer with my bow at 80 and 90 yards!". I couldn't take it anymore. Even the guy behind the counter was red faced from holding back his laughter.
I think I might be a knucklehead magnet! :eek:
I know what you're sayin

but in the knuckleheads defense... I HAVE sharpened Montec practice heads because they were cheaper ! haha

The price of BHs is out of control

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
The funny thing Mono , is there are many just like them everywhere ..

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know what you're sayin

but in the knuckleheads defense... I HAVE sharpened Montec practice heads because they were cheaper ! haha

The price of BHs is out of control
But $3-$5..is it worth all the time and effort?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I have a buddy who just bought a bow last week and intends to go hunt this fall....I about flipped a nut when he told me this as hes never shot a bow in his life. So he calls and asks if I wanna go shoot with him and I said well if hes hell bent on hunting maybe me and some other friends can atleast give him some positive influence and pointers....we were honestly hoping to talk him outta hunting this season or atleast not immediately.

Well lets just say we didnt get to far....I go down to shoot he pulls out his bow and 6 arrows only 2 of which match and there all various lengths, spine, and make he also said he was getting him some new BH's next friday night, season opens saturday morinng....he didnt wanna hear a thing about it...strike 1. He starts to draw the bow and its pointed directly above his head and hes grunting to come to full draw...I can pull my firecat set to 70lbs. with very lil effort and I had a lil trouble getting this older matthews back, my guess is 75lbs.....so I say to him lets back that off a lil bit so you dont tear your shoulder up while your building up archery muscles and so you can draw in the stand without being detected....."he wants speed he says so he aint backin down a damn thing down"....strike 2. He then finaly gets to full draw and is maybe a 28.5in draw if hes extremely lucky...well this things behind his ear at full draw, prolly 30"+, and hes not even using the peep sight at all "he can shoot better without it and he wants all the speed he can get" he says.....I attempt to say somthing about where it should be and that he will need a mod as the bow is draw specific...to which he responds didnt you hear me I want speed....strike 3.

I put my bow in its case, put it in my truck and told him good luck and please dont call me to shoot again and deffinetly do not call me to come find any of your wounded deer this fall. Man this kids a close friend but hes bordering exiled status....lol. I hate stupid people and especially those whom give the rest of us a major blackeye.

Sorry didnt mean to hijack just figured id share my idiot of the week story...lol.

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
I have a buddy who just bought a bow last week and intends to go hunt this fall....I about flipped a nut when he told me this as hes never shot a bow in his life. So he calls and asks if I wanna go shoot with him and I said well if hes hell bent on hunting maybe me and some other friends can atleast give him some positive influence and pointers....we were honestly hoping to talk him outta hunting this season or atleast not immediately.

Well lets just say we didnt get to far....I go down to shoot he pulls out his bow and 6 arrows only 2 of which match and there all various lengths, spine, and make he also said he was getting him some new BH's next friday night, season opens saturday morinng....he didnt wanna hear a thing about it...strike 1. He starts to draw the bow and its pointed directly above his head and hes grunting to come to full draw...I can pull my firecat set to 70lbs. with very lil effort and I had a lil trouble getting this older matthews back, my guess is 75lbs.....so I say to him lets back that off a lil bit so you dont tear your shoulder up while your building up archery muscles and so you can draw in the stand without being detected....."he wants speed he says so he aint backin down a damn thing down"....strike 2. He then finaly gets to full draw and is maybe a 28.5in draw if hes extremely lucky...well this things behind his ear at full draw, prolly 30"+, and hes not even using the peep sight at all "he can shoot better without it and he wants all the speed he can get" he says.....I attempt to say somthing about where it should be and that he will need a mod as the bow is draw specific...to which he responds didnt you hear me I want speed....strike 3.

I put my bow in its case, put it in my truck and told him good luck and please dont call me to shoot again and deffinetly do not call me to come find any of your wounded deer this fall. Man this kids a close friend but hes bordering exiled status....lol. I hate stupid people and especially those whom give the rest of us a major blackeye.

Sorry didnt mean to hijack just figured id share my idiot of the week story...lol.

There are always a couple of "them" around!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
That is part of hanging around the local archery shop, tis the season for the idiots ot come out...

·
Registered
5,232 Posts

wow....you should have asked him if his mother had any intellegent children...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Or you shouldve told him to test the strength and speed of his bow by first firing it with no arrow nocked. At least thatd take care of him for awhile.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That is part of hanging around the local archery shop, tis the season for the idiots ot come out...
:set1_rolf2::set1_rolf2:

Sad that it's true and we have to pay for the bad rep they give us...

My brother just started shooting this year. Got his bow about three weeks ago and has only praticed a a hand full of times. Granted he plays every sport that he can and is very atheletic and gifted but don't give him any time for pratice. I got in tonight from hunting and he was over at my house and said i'm going this week when i don't have FB pratice with you. I had to argue with him for awhile but finally got my point across. He really likes shooting with us when he can so i think next year i'll have me a hunting buddy. He's 14 by the way, and i hate to keep him out the woods but he's nowhere near ready, and rifle season is two weeks away and i'll have him with me then

1 - 20 of 62 Posts