Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Simply put, a few of us are gathering information to hunt in Ohio this year. We're from Western NY and it'll be our first Ohio trip. Planning stages are obviously pretty raw, but of course we're trying to plan to the best of our ability (even in May!). We're open to most areas, concentrated a bit on the AEP land West of Caldwell and a few other state forests. We dont need your pins of cooridantes, just looking for friendly advice on what would hopefully be a solid hunt. Of course we'd love to find some private ground but the odds aren't feasible. A point in the right direction would be more than appreciated!

Thanks All,
Nate

·
Registered
218 Posts
Peak rut a few months before the season in Ohio?... If looking for an outfitter I can tell you now. Forgot it. Most places have waiting lists for that week. I go there every year that week. Not only that but public land is very crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
182 5/8's
3,381 Posts
Go as much as you can, get to know folks in your area, talk to people, we did that and now have a great place to hunt for free, even the ones who said we couldn't hunt weren't mean about it, and then we hit the right person, there is a lot of public land just go deep in the woods

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your going to have to get off the road where guys don't wanna walk too also watch the weather and keep your trip open to maybe the second week its Ohio weather could be 80 degrees could be 10 good luck

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
You are looking in the right areas but the problem is anywhere you go will be loaded with people the first two weeks of November. It’s very frustrating to go in in the am only to have people walking past your stand all through the morning. Evening hunts you will find people crawling through the woods and setting up stands for the next day. Private land is not much better. You may get permission but most property owners allow neighbors to hunt their land also, there are no property lines for most neighbors. Then you have trespassers hunting private lands. If you get permission on private land make sure you know where the lines are and have the written permission slip available from the state. Ohio beefed up trespassing laws a few years ago and take a “no tolerance” approach and the penalties can be brutal.
Ohio has some good hunting but I stay out of the woods the first two weeks of November. You might find/have some good hunting but on public land it’s very unlikely the first week of November.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I grew in in Ohio and have always had very good luck on public. What all the other guys say is true. However, you can find great hunting and be all to yourself on public land. It just won't happen on the big, popular public land tracts. There are LOTS of sub 500 acre public tracts that hardly get used except maybe by locals. I'd advise you look into those. Find several on a map then take a scouting trip to check them out. You'll no doubt find a good spot or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts