Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd add some more detailed analysis of Ohio's harvest through 9 weeks (2016 vs. 2015).

Year-to-date Deer Harvest is down 4.8% statewide.

Stacked Harvest.png Alphabetical.png

·
Registered
180 Posts
Adams is at 76% year on year from 2015 through 12/9. Gun season take was down 32% from 2015. Lots of people around complaining about not seeing many deer.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It is going to take most people a few more years of not seeing many to accept that they need to lay off killing so many deer every year before they will stop and allow does to walk.

·
Registered
180 Posts
DNR needs to drop it to 1 deer either sex. At least in some counties. Thats why dnr exists, otherwise why not just move it from the current 3 to infinity if we're expecting people to decide the limit on their own.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I have no idea what those images are saying?
Being within 5% of last years numbers is pretty much normal variation, but I don’t see how these images are showing that?

·
pro deer watcher
2,336 Posts
I wonder if going to an earn a doe program would work. I know guys are going to say guys will start shooting small bucs but i would disagree. Guys who are going to shot a small buck will do so either way guys that are hunting bigger deer are going to keep only shooting bigger deer

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Lot of variables to me, Tags sold , weather, ect. If i don't see a lot of deer in an area, i stop shooting does, but i hunt on public, so i don't now if it makes much difference, but it may so. I don't see as many deer since the six deer years, but seems to be slowly balanced out for the Buck doe ratio ?

·
Registered
464 Posts
The biggest issue is that you can't believe the numbers. Remember, we (Ohioians) now can "call in" your harvest! How many guys do you think NEVER make that call? Sad to say but the numbers ARE going down. Seen less and less deer this and last year (and I'm from a hot spot county). Keep killing the doe's and it will continue to decrease. At some point you need to let them walk when the numbers start decreasing. Problem with that is the Insurance companies will continue to pressure the DNR and we know how that goes.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The biggest issue is that you can't believe the numbers. Remember, we (Ohioians) now can "call in" your harvest! How many guys do you think NEVER make that call? Sad to say but the numbers ARE going down. Seen less and less deer this and last year (and I'm from a hot spot county). Keep killing the doe's and it will continue to decrease. At some point you need to let them walk when the numbers start decreasing. Problem with that is the Insurance companies will continue to pressure the DNR and we know how that goes.
Same guys that dont call them in are the same ones that did not take the deer to the check stations anyway so the call in program has nothing to do with it.

·
Team -Third Times a Charm
4,016 Posts
Same guys that dont call them in are the same ones that did not take the deer to the check stations anyway so the call in program has nothing to do with it.
Exactly..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
pro deer watcher
2,336 Posts
Crossbows...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Crossbows have been legal in ohio for what 20 years?? I giggle when guys say this is the reason our deer heard sucks snot. How about guys stop shooting every thing they see??? Probably best solution.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yep. When we used check stations I had to take a deer from my hunting area , 20 miles past my house then back home. If there was a time I wasn't going to check one in , it would have been then. The call in system is so much more convenient. It seems ridiculous when people believe others won't call in , but will drive out of there way to a check station. The numbers aren't down because of the check in system. They are down because there are less deer overall.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Crossbows have been legal in ohio for what 20 years?? I giggle when guys say this is the reason our deer heard sucks snot. How about guys stop shooting every thing they see??? Probably best solution.
Yeah .... they've been legal for about 40 years ....soooooo

1 - 20 of 126 Posts