Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone on this forum that is missing a game camera from their Ohio lease? If so, I will be happy to return it to you after we walk the property borders between your lease and my club's property. I'm not trying to be a hard *****, but we have had out of state guys on the neighboring property coming over the boudary and killing deer for several years now and it's getting a little old. It is clear that the land owner has not provided a clear definition of boundaries and despite our no trespassing signs, we continue to have unwelcome activity. I do not believe that anyone is doing this intentionally, but I would like it to stop. There is now a stand (or two), and a feeder set up on our property and a game camera (multiple?)....I have not touched the stands or the feeder, but the camera is safely in my posession. I am in the process of refreshing the signage for the borders...

If it is yours, please PM me with the county, property location and camera style and we will arrange to meet the next time it is convenient.

Other guys out there....I would like your opinion as to how I am handling this matter.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I see your side of the story... but fact is, you stole someone's camera.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
in all fairness, if you take something, leave a note behind with your contact info and why you took it. if you dont take it, leave a note stating the stuff will be gone in a week if not removed. sometimes property lines are hard to determine.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think I'd probably take down the stands and the feeder as well, and maybe leave a note telling them where they can come get them. I think the chances of them actually being AT members and reading this thread are slim, but if you're able to leave a note out there, they'll get ahold of you. If they know they're trespassing and don't get ahold of you, you got some free hunting gear.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I did not steal someone's camera.... the camera was taken off one of my trees to prevent the encroachment that has been going on for years. I have no intention of keeping the camera (fact is one of my club members took the camera off the tree, but I will take responsibility for his action since I own the land). If I intended to steal the camera, this thread would never have been posted.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
No, I did not steal someone's camera.... the camera was taken off one of my trees to prevent the encroachment that has been going on for years. I have no intention of keeping the camera (fact is one of my club members took the camera off the tree, but I will take responsibility for his action since I own the land). If I intended to steal the camera, this thread would never have been posted.
Well said...I'd do the same thing you did in this case. Damn out of staters !!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'd probably take down the stands and the feeder as well, and maybe leave a note telling them where they can come get them. I think the chances of them actually being AT members and reading this thread are slim, but if you're able to leave a note out there, they'll get ahold of you. If they know they're trespassing and don't get ahold of you, you got some free hunting gear.
I don't want their hunting gear. I want their cooperation in making everyone's hunting experience more enjoyable by not having to police the borders the way we have had to in the past few years. If I had been the one to take the camera physically off the tree I probably would have left a note. The guys who used to have this lease came out of their way to meet me to develop a rapport. They lost the lease and now I do not know who has it. I will contact the landowner in the event that I do not find them on this forum.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You took a camera that doesn't belong to you, and posted a thread on AT in the slim chance that the real owner will read this thread. You have no way of knowing who it belongs to, so you have no idea who to return it to. Whether you put it on one of your food plots, sell it in the classifieds, or let it collect dust in your garage, you've taken it from the its rightful owner. That's stealing, I don't care what twist you put on it.

Go put it back on the tree and leave a note explaining the situation. Request a meeting where both parties can walk the property lines.

·
Registered
821 Posts
In no way did he steal someone's camera. Someone trespassed on his property and left it there. He wants to find the owner, and work out the situation. If some random person parked their car in the middle of your driveway, and left it there, wouldn't you move it, find out who it belonged to, and tell them not to park their car there anymore? If you moved it would you be stealing their car?

·
preparation>opportunity
3,074 Posts
Well said...I'd do the same thing you did in this case. Damn out of staters !!
I don't think this is an out-of-stater issue,i think this is a trespasser issue, please don't lump all out-of-staters together

·
Registered
418 Posts
In no way did he steal someone's camera. Someone trespassed on his property and left it there. He wants to find the owner, and work out the situation. If some random person parked their car in the middle of your driveway, and left it there, wouldn't you move it, find out who it belonged to, and tell them not to park their car there anymore? If you moved it would you be stealing their car?
If I moved the car and took it away with no word left for the owner to know where his car went, I guarantee it would be reported as stolen.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Did he steal it or did he remove a piece of equipment that he did not want on his property? Someone broke the law to get it where it was and he is removing it from his land. If a politician puts a sign in my yard, without permission, and I remove it, did I steal the sign?

IMO he did not steal it. He is offering to return it to the trespasser and is even offering to educate the person rather than calling the sheriff and filing charges.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The owner of the camera has been tresspassing for who knows how many years which is illegal. It is not stealing if someone brought it onto his property and he "confiscated" it until the tresspassing problem is resolved. Putting a note on the tree is a great idea and should be done so he knows who took itI it is possible it is a simple misunderstanding. But from the OP, stating it has been going on for years, I do understand the frustration he has. I do not think any law inforcement officer would write him a ticket or anything especially with the full intent of returning the camera when the issue is resolved.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NG....go back to where I say that I was not the one who physically took the camera off the tree....one of my club members did that. It is my land and therefore my responsibility to ensure that this situation is handled appropriately. I do not appreciate being called a thief or being accused of 'spinning" anything. The last guys who leased this land (and respected the border) were ATers. If I fail to find the leasee on here, I will take other action to find them and get them their camera back. Please refrain from calling me a thief in the future.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If I moved the car and took it away with no word left for the owner to know where his car went, I guarantee it would be reported as stolen.
It might be reported as stolen, but you'd never be charged with grand theft auto. The investigating officer would just ask the idiot why in the world he left his car in your driveway.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Our property owner found someone's blind and stand WELL on his land not just inside abit I'm talking 700-800 yards into the property. He told us if the guy that was trespassing wants his stuff back bad enough he will come ask for it. He's one the old timers set in his ways, but it's his property it's clearly marked all the way around it. And we have had alot of problems with our stand being stolen and seats from them come up missing. I don't feel bad for trespassers we pay alot of money to hunt this guys land, serves them right if you ask me.

·
Registered
76 Posts

i think the letter of the law would be stealling it. in your senario i don't think you would move it yourself. you would call a towing company or the police. i think leaving a letter would be a good start. I would also contact the game and fish. they are responsible for handling tresspassing laws.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
The OP didnt steal...stop defending tresspassers that ignore visibly marked property lines...all trespassers should walk the plank

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The chances of the camera owner reading this thread are very slim IMO. And I am sure there is more than one person in Ohio on a lease that has a camera missing. At least narrowing it down by county would have made this thread a little more realistic.

I agree with the others, I would have left a note in place of the camera instructing them to call you for the return of the camera and figuring out the property line. Would have been much easier and more logical. I just dont see anythign positive coming from this......

·
Livin' in a van....
8,473 Posts
i say you find em, kick em in the weener, and tell them to get back on their side of the line.

If you left a note telling them where they can find you/ get in contact with you, i think you did just fine and did the right thing. If they ask for it back, you'll gladly give it back, AFTER they're educated on teh property line. :amen:

1 - 20 of 279 Posts