Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Me and a large group of 13 guys recently booked a trip with Ohio Trophy Buck Outfitters in Coshocton, Ohio... the days of our hunts is November 10th to the 15th and the property is located on 8,000+ private acres mainly in Coshocton, Ohio....

I was wondering if any of you have ever been to Ohio Trophy Buck Outfitters or heard anything about them or if you guys have ever hunted in Coshocton, Ohio during this timeframe... we are new to the area so any information you guys have would be great!!! thank, and if you have any additional information please post!!!

·
Airborne Archery
9,072 Posts
Hi all, Me and a large group of 13 guys recently booked a trip with Ohio Trophy Buck Outfitters in Coshocton, Ohio... the days of our hunts is November 10th to the 15th and the property is located on 8,000+ private acres mainly in Coshocton, Ohio....

I was wondering if any of you have ever been to Ohio Trophy Buck Outfitters or heard anything about them or if you guys have ever hunted in Coshocton, Ohio during this timeframe... we are new to the area so any information you guys have would be great!!! thank, and if you have any additional information please post!!!
Coshocton is a good place to hunt and the rut will be right around when you are there. I hunt the hardest in southeast Ohio from November 1st-around the 12th.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Never hunted with them, or any other outfitter for that matter. I think you'll have a good time. Although I think you might be getting here a little late. If you believe in Charlie Alsheimer's research, he predicts the peak of the seeking and chasing phases to overlap within the first few days of November this year. Hunting the 10th through the 15th might land you during the peak of the breeding phase... meaning bucks may be locked down with does.

I think Alsheimer's theories hold water, based on my own past experiences. However the biggest factor during the Ohio rut is daytime temperature. If it's warm, like 60 or above, you aren't going to see much deer movement. Even if it's the peak of the rut. The bucks will still be chasing does like crazy, but they'll be doing it in the dark when you can't hunt them. Just my opinion.

Good luck to you guys... Hope you have a great time.

Oh... and don't you guys know there's plenty of public land in Ohio? Hunting there is free... just saying. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! we are really looking forward to this trip and hope it produces for us, we are from New Hampshire and we are lucky to see 3 to 4 deer a year, let alone good bucks! so as long as we are seeing deer we will consider it a success, I've done some research and it seems like coshocton is one of the best counties in Ohio to produce big bucks, so thats why we went with coshocton and these guys seem legit from Ohio Trophy Buck Outfitters, so we decided to go with them... I actually just read that article of the peak rut coming in early november, I hope its wrong! anyways, it wont take much to please us out their and we sure as hell will have some fun! thanks guys and if you have any more advice/information about hunting Coshocton, I would greatly appreciate it ! have a good one

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
did they work out a deal ($$$) for you since 13 of you all boooked with them? also..... practicallly anywhere in whitetail country , USA is good between nov 10-15.. is the 8000 acres farmland, timber, hills or what?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, we ended up getting a pretty substantial discount because of groups size, its a 16 man hunt.. so there is going to be a few hunters their also but mainly our group.... From what I hear from the guides its pretty much a mixture of hardwoods, hills, bean fields and plots and depending on the time of rut, deer movement, etc... they will move you around to these different areas to stay on deer.. check this place out, they promise a 75% success rate at a buck of at least 125" during the hunts, go to www.ohiotrophybuck.com.... anymore feedback would be great

·
I like big buffs!
4,273 Posts
Looks to me like they have a 75% RETURN client rate, I didnt see where they guarantee anything? Maybe I missed it...just cant see where they can guarantee that but who knows.

Good area to hunt and the right time of year...yall should see some deer!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey carpcommander, In the paperwork that they sent us when we confirmed with them they said that their is a 75% success rate... I don't think it is on the main web page... I hope to see some deer! thanks for the comment

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm familiar with them. You will see deer. Big misconception though that there is a 140" buck standing behind every tree. The lodge is nice and Ty will work hard for you. That being said these guys have caused a lot of hard feelings with our local hunters. People around here have hunted for years on these farms only to get kicked off. So you may be met with some local grumpy people.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,048 Posts
You wanna hear something thats gonna make you cry? Im going to the exact same area, hunting four times as much public land a week before you and it cost me a grand total of $600 for the entire week plus opening weekend. :)

Of course, private will probably be different. Anyhow, theres a boatload of deer there compared to where I live. Leaving next friday after work for the first trip. Grand total for that weekend with gas and food $75 each guy. Two of us are going.

Also drew the salt fork archery permit this year so thats going to take me out of coshocton quite a bit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
They are awesome! Ty will take good care of you guys. The Lodge is really nice (you'll be staying there if you are doing the guided hunt). They definitely have some big bucks on the properties that they lease, but I have never heard of a 75% sucess rate on free ranging deer over 130". Maybe a 75% chance of an encounter?

Regardless, you guys will have a good time! Good Luck and shoot straight!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I hope it's a great hunt. As an Ohio guy, i also have a really hard time believing 75% success at P&Y bucks, let alone 75% shot at deer like that. Can any outfitter anywhere claim that? Really hope i'm wrong on that! Good luck, shoot straight and post a report when done.

That said, i think your timing is great! Although Alsheimer likes the earlier week, i also believe weather is most important and being a bit later gives you a slightly better chance of cold weather. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the post!!! I really do appreciate it..... to answer the question you guys have about the 75% success rate I went back and looked at the exact e-mail he sent me, turns out I misunderstood his terminology a bit... here's what they say... "We have a 75% success rate of getting a 125 inch deer within 30 yards of you, its up to you to make the shot..... Actual success is 35% of bagging a 125 inch deer"... you guys think this could be true? We have never hunted Ohio before and we were wondering on average about how many deer COULD we see a day if the weather was cold and during the timeframe of November 10th-15th in Coshocton County? just curious..... thanks alot guys, again anymore advice or info you have would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
146 Posts
You guys will have a great time, not sure who your outfitters are, But i lease property in Coshocton co. with 5 of my friends. We kill alot of deer. We have only killed 3# 140 class bucks.We are hunters and harvest to eat so we do kill alot of does. We pass on all small bucks.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,048 Posts
I was out there to scout in feb and counted over 100 road kills in 2 days. The paths look like cow paths. You will see deer, the quality of those deer no one can guarantee

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nhbowhunter. I am also from NH and will be going to Ohio Trophy buck outfitters on Oct. 11,2013. How did your hunt go? We age only 4 in the party and we have the semi guided hunt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts