Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is way out of left field, but as I mentioned in another thread I am sick again.

Well today is my last sick day available and I am feeling better. Planned on going back to work tomorrow, but don't want to pass on anything if I am still contagious (even though I feel OK, but sound like hell).

I called my lead today to let him know that today is my last available sick day and I don't want to chip into vacation. I also told him that I am getting sick because people are coming into work sick and I'm catching it from them. I don't want to do that same thing and get others sick. So, considering I have everything I need here at home to remotely connect to our systems at work, can I work from home?

Well he is going to talk it over with the manager, who really is against working from home for those that work for him. Yet, he can work from home 4 days a week and no problem...kind of a "Do as I say, not as I do" policy. I worked from home one other time, in which case my lead got chewed out for it even though I worked 10.5 hours (compared to 7.5 hrs there) and got about 300% more done than I would have there. I chose to work from home that day because of traffic circumstances, which would have made my commute about 4 hours to get in. So in reality, my 7.5 hour work day would have been cut down to about 3.5 hours. Even with all of this and my 300% productivity, my manager still has his head up his ass and *****ed out my lead for giving me permission to work from home.

So, now onto the current time period. My lead says, "regardless...I think you should stay home until you are 100%. You should have more opportunities for 'comp time' between now and the end of the year"

So...looks like I have to chip into vacation time?!?!? ***. I work my ass off all year long to save my vacation for hunting. Now, I get sick for the 2nd time in 2 months because I'm catching **** at work...and I have to use my vacation time to get better...even if I feel I am capable of coming into work or am very much able to work from home remotely?

Sorry I really needed to vent this off, see what you guys think. I'm new to the "corporate world", so perhaps this is just standard practice and I need to get used to it. Either way it sucks ass...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh corporate america. Isn't it great! I love limited sick time. I'd say screw it, and go to work sick. Sit by the guy that works from home all the time. If he has a problem with you working from home, go to HIS boss. Either its a company policy or it isn't. If you are allowed to work remotely, then DO IT. Many abuse it, but its up to the company to deal with it. There is no reason your manager should get chewed out for it.

What are you, and engineer?

Bo

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Go in sick

I'd go in, you know how well you can perform your job in your condition, and if someone else gets sick so be it, obviously your co-workers don't give a crap about others.

The company I work for has a policy that if you come to work and go home sick during the day (whether you've been there 5hrs or 5 minutes) you do NOT get charged for sick or vacation time. One of the girls I work for has used this a couple of times after long nights of partying, stay for an hour oh I'm too sick I'm going home, did it after the Cubs beat the Braves.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Working home remotely is not a company policy, it is in the hands of each respective manager. The point that bothers me is that the manager works from home CONSTANTLY, but never lets any of us work from home?

I have pointed this out regularly to my lead (who reports to the manager) and the bottom line is...he just doesn't have the balls to step up to the manager.

In other instances, other business related topics, I have sidestepped my lead and gone right to my manager simply because I dont have the time for my lead to gain the "willingness" to confront the manager. Lets say my manager takes it "personally" when you don't follow protocol and don't go through the lead to him. So, now I am kind of forced to go through my lead, which I am doing AGAIN for this remote working capability.

I am wits end with this company and looking (have been) to get out. BTW, I am a software developer (software engineer)...and the IT industry sucks right now! :)

I am really thinking about just going in, but unfortunately whatever time I am away I get charged for. This company is such a tight wad on time. 7.5 hour paid work days, no paid OT, "secret" comp time (i.e. don't let management know) that isn't even 1 to 1 (i.e. I had one stint of working 58 hours of overtime and got 2 days of 'comp time' for it. 15 hours for 58 hours of OT?)

This company is all about more from you, more for them and less the have to give, less for you.

I'm thinking job change...LOL...any recommendations that would land me near some prime whitetail habitat? :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
GO IN AND CAUGH ALL OVER THEM. A GUY I WORK WITH GETS SICK SIX TIMES A YEAR AT LEAST, AND REFUSES TO GO TO A DOCTOR FOR A COLD BECAUSE "MEDICATION WILL LOWER HIS IMMUNE SYSTEM". MEANWHILE SOMEONE COUGHS IN ANOTHER STATE AND HE'S THE FIRST ONE SICK. HE HACKS ALL OVER US WITH NO ATTEMPTS TO LEAVE THE ROOM OR COVER HIS MOUTH. HE HAS GOTTEN ME GOOD AND SICK TWICE THIS YEAR ALREADY, AND FOUR TIMES TOTAL SINCE HE'S WORKED HERE. I'M HOME BURNING SICK DAYS BECAUSE OF THIS A$%HOLE. MY ENTIRE FAMILY WAS SICK DUE TO THIS GUY A FEW WEAKS AGO. I HAD TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL! I'VE HAD ENOUGH TO SAY THE LEAST! MORAL IS SCREW THEM, NO CURTESY TO YOU........... COUGH LOUD ENOUGH FOR THEIR UNBORN CHILDREN TO HEAR IT! LET THEM BURN THEIR VACA AND SEE HOW IT SUITS THEM.
:mad:

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
BowhunterNJ,
PM me with your software qualifications, we may be looking to hire some development engineers on a contract to permanent basis. We do telecommunications. Better yet, send me a resume and I'll forward it to the hiring manager. I'll PM you my E-Mail address. We're located in Red Bank (PKWY Exit 109).

I'm a little confused, I take it you have a "Team Lead" of some sort? I would think that person should be in charge of project related issues, but you should only have ONE manager. If you have more than one, I would request a SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT for all issues from work, to HR.

Bo

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red Bank would be sweet! I grew up in Freehold, not far from there at all (20 minutes or so), would love to get back up there.

As far as management, it's really hosed at my company. Here is the skinny on my "department", get ready to laugh.

EDI Department.

1 Manager
2 Business Leads

The EDI Department is broken into two sections, under each Business Lead. This break is very politically distinct and exclusively for political reasons. Despite the distinction, each lead has their own way to design a software based architecture. Unfortunately we ALL share the SAME hardware architecture. (i.e. same servers, same software, same backend databases, etc).

There are so many software related dependencies that conflict with these architectures is amazing. I fought for consolidation for over a year, and basically got told to STFU because of politics. Now, we essentially fight fires every day to overcome "stepping on each others toes".

The next level is what they call "Direct Reports". These Direct Reports report to the respective Business Leads.

So I report to a Direct Report, who then passes my info along to my lead, who then passes it along to my manager. Talk about waste of time, and too many links on the chain of communication?!?!

Bottom line is, you have a bunch of people that aren't qualified for their current positions and have no background to make educated decision, business wise or techical wise. None of the leadership or management is technically oriented, and due to the politics of the system, none of the technically oriented leaders (software developers) will ever get a chance at landing a Lead role.

Another interesting aspect is the following (LOL get ready to have your jaw drop!)

The EDI Manager is DATING one of the Business Leads. The Manager is also personal friends with the other Business Lead and the "Direct Reports".

So, not only do you have to overcome business politics, you have to overcome personal ones as well.

I pray this is not the way it is everywhere...because I feel like I landed in a Corporate Soap Opera and my mind is on technology and optimizing software/systems...not on who pissed in who's Corn Flakes that morning.

I could go on and on with the antics at this place...it's pretty insane. What is more depressing than anything else is that there are qualified individuals out there that could SAVE this company astronomical amounts of money...but they seem content on keeping it the way it is.

I can honestly say that I am an "odd ball" at this company. I guess it's how I was brought up and how I was taught (both at a family level and at an educational level). I was taught to do things right the first time...to think things out thoroughly and determine the BEST solution. Sometimes that is not possible given circumstances, so you design and optimize over time. This current company breaks every "rule" regarding business practices and technological principle I've ever been taught, read, thought about, etc.

Someone slap me and tell me this is the way it is...or I've just landed in some corporate hell and things are better than this someplace, somewhere! :D

/me taps his hunting boots "There's no place like hunting whitetails in Kansas, There's no place like hunting whitetails in Kansas, There's no place like hunting whitetails in Kansas"

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bo:

I forgot this part:

"I'm a little confused, I take it you have a "Team Lead" of some sort? I would think that person should be in charge of project related issues, but you should only have ONE manager. If you have more than one, I would request a SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT for all issues from work, to HR."

We do have one manager, but he is rarely there (maybe 1 or 2 days a week literally...the others he is wherever...but out of the office...maybe working from home, maybe out on vacation, whatever).

Unfortunately, none of this voiced disappointment reaches HR. HR at my company is just as amazingly brutal. My first promotion and pay increase took over 9 months to get right. I had countless emails between my management and HR over those 9 months inquiring what is going on and never got responses. I finally got the two of them in a meeting and chewed them both out (professionally). The issue was finally corrected a few days later.

I think since then, they've both had a chip on their shoulder. Perhaps I'm too aggressive...but what I see at this place is...if you sit idle...you won't ever get anywhere. There are people there that have had the same position/title for like 7 years. I'm too driven to sit still for that long. I bust my ass, work hard, put in unpaid OT, sacrafice weekends, sacrafice personal time, etc to make myself known, make an impact, and get things accomplished. After all of that, I kind of expect to be rewarded...but am not. At least give me some flexibility in times such as right now, when I am out of sick days, and allow me to work from home (especially after I've already proven I can work 300% more effectively at home).

I think I'll start selling lemonade on the corners or I'll make one of those signs like Michael Waddell has that says "Will Hunt for Food"! :D

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
First of all, sacrificing weekends and personal time is something I REFUSE to do. They would fire me in a heartbeat if the numbers told them to.

What are you at some Lucent division or something? Thats what it sounds like. Everyone wants to be a Chief, and you are one of the only Indians.

I will say this, its like that everywhere, but probably not to the extent to which you are seeing it. Of course, you are green, and over time you become numb to it (I've only been in the industry 5 years, but experienced a company transition from your dream work place to the epitome of where you are now, back to your dream work place where the indians do the work, make the decisions, and there is only one boss. There is hope!

Bo

PS - Independent wealth comes from your own business, real estate, or a combination of the two. Anyone that tells you otherwise inherited their fortune....

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Only 7yrs

BowhunterNJ-

7yrs in the same position, I work with a guy that has been in the same position for 15yrs, gets passed up for promotions everytime one comes up, think this guy would pick up his things and move on but when you have a sizeable pension, 401(k), & other retirements benefits coming it is hard to do I guess.

Just wondering how old you are to be feeling this way about the corporate workplace?

Want to try a different position, try this, you're suppose to manage a fellow staff member, but he doesn't report to you and feels he doesn't have to report to you, while your manager and his as well feels it is still necessary to do your job for you, talk about a depressing day at work. I still wonder why I haven't been let go yet, since I'm very expendable. Anyone need a CPA in chicagoland area???

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Agree

Bo Hunter-

Totally agree - real estate or owning your own business is the only way to make a wad of cash. Working 9 to 5 isn't going to cut it. A guy I work with here owns 90+ apartments and does this gig for health benefits only, most of the execs have it in for him, probably because they're pissed that some low-level accountant is worth more than them.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heh, I'll be 26 in another week. I guess at this point in my career, I am more results oriented than I am benefit oriented. I'm at the early stages of my career, so I have alot of ground to cover or should say that I want to cover.

I currently work for a large Healthcare organization (non profit...yeah right) in PA.

I guess it can be strange for someone early in their career to be like this, but I'm like this in everything. I find time to be valueable and want to maximize it. I just can't be content sitting idle and letting things manifest over time. I want to fix them, make them better, optimize, strategize, etc...

Alot of those feelings parallel into hunting. Hunting is a passion. I don't just go out and hunt in the first tree I walk into. I study hunting...I read everything, I analyze topos/aerials, I keep logs of information from scouting to hunts to stand locations. It's an all year thing for me. Same thing with fishing and fly fishing.

It's just my nature, I don't do anything to be average...I'm extremely driven and want to be the best at it. I am more often not the best at things, but that doesn't keep me from trying! ;) As a matter of fact, I am still without my first P&Y whitetail after 10 years of hunting. I've been in pursuit for probably about 6 years. Very frustrating to put all that time and effort into going after one, and things never connecting...but it doesn't keep me from trying! :) Sooner or later, luck will come my way and I'll get a shot...hopefully! :D

Now getting back to Bo's final point:

"PS - Independent wealth comes from your own business, real estate, or a combination of the two. Anyone that tells you otherwise inherited their fortune...."

Absolutely! The hard part is finding what a good market share wants and requires little startup capital (or several investors to get you going).

Until then, I am just renting my skills and my life out to another company.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts