Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've racked my brain here trying to make a decision. I've decided on which broadheads and vanes to use for this year's hunting season. It will be my first year using my Mathews Q2XL at 60 pounds, 27" for hunting. I shoot it for 3D with 3-28 ACCs, but those aren't hunting arrows.

But I've read article after article. And I had a heck of a time making up my mind about which arrow to use for hunting. I must admit here...I've hunted for several years mostly with firearms, and I'll admit it....I still looking for my first deer with a bow. :embarasse

I've been told by friends to use Carbons. I've read articles that say use Aluminum. And I've made a decision. I'm going to get Aluminum. I can get a super good deal on a doz Easton XX75 Classics (discontinued) that have never been used. They are still full length. By super good deal, I mean like 25 bucks.

So unless I hear some really good reasoning why I shouldn't, I'm going to go aluminum. I plan to shoot them with 2" Blazers and a 100 gr. Magnus Stingers.

So all you carbon advocates....tell me why I shouldn't shoot aluminum. I'm planning on getting them tomorrow...so disuade me tonight. :confused:

Your ideas and viewpoints are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm a carbon shooter, but can't think of one good reason to not use aluminum. I did for years, then went throught the "speed craze" and now using a heavier carbon. If you can get a good deal on XX75's or XX78's, go for it; the deer won't know the difference!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Nope

I can't tell ya not to, good arrows but you might want to install some uni bushing in them for easier tuning and nock replacement. Good luck

·
74,535 Posts
Carbon

Penatrates better.
Doesnt break as easy

You couldnt pay me to shoot aluminum arrows again. :eek:

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Can't think of a reason not to either for $25. Heck, aluminum was killing animals long before carbon was the rage, so it's not like they won't or can't do the job. I say go for it.

Here is my question though. How will the aluminum arrows fly with the Blazers? I shoot Blazers on my XT Hunters, and every post I see about Blazers has them attached to carbon arrows. Just wondering if they could stear a larger aluminum shaft the same they can skinnier carbons. Let me know how that works out, I am very interested to find out.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huntin' Dad said:
I can't tell ya not to, good arrows but you might want to install some uni bushing in them for easier tuning and nock replacement. Good luck
I kind of wanted those type of nocks. Then you can cut the swagged nock end and have uni-bushings installed?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Nothing wrong with aluminum arrows!! Used them for years. Never met a deer that cared what bow I was shooting, what color it was, or weather my arrows were carbon or aluminum. Them aluminum shafts can pack a wallop, and I blew most of my easton 2413 arrows clean thru most of the deer I shot.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The ONLY problem I have with aluminums is the can get bent, tiny, unoticable bends. Then you go to shoot one at the buck of a lifetime and it flys off to one side. I like carbons because they are streight or they are broken.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Daniel Boone said:
Penatrates better.
Doesnt break as easy

EXACTLY!!!!! I dont see me ever shooting aluminum arrows again.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Go with Carbon

You can buy a dozen Easton Epics for $62 shipped to your door. And he cuts and insets them for free, and you can choose the color of your vanes.

I, like eveyone that has shot for years, startd with alluminum and have killed deer with them but after using some of today fine Carbons I will never go back.

In and out of my stand my old alluminums would take a beating and by the end of the season they would not spin like they would when they were new. heck you can easily bend them just pulling them for targets, and they crease easy if you hit an arrow with an arrow.

Carbons shoot flatter, and they are quieter when drawn against a rest.

I cant even imagine not having uni-bushing,

If you want they guys name I will get it for you, I found him on ebay.

Good luck

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
C-a-r-b-o-n

Either one will kill a deer. Aluminums normally can't take more than one time skipping through the woods after a pass-through or a miss. Carbons can normally be cleaned off and shot again.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
kidnutso said:
It will be my first year using my Mathews Q2XL at 60 pounds, 27" for hunting. I shoot it for 3D with 3-28 ACCs, but those aren't hunting arrows.
You can afford $150/dozen arrows for 3D, but don't want to spend money for good arrows for hunting? I'd suggest a compromise... spend less on 3D arrows and more on some good heavy carbons!!!! :D

I picked up shooting a recurve a couple of years ago... and bought some aluminums (I used ACC's for hunting the past 10 years with my compounds). After a week of shooting them, 1/2 of them were trash... with bends and kinks and dents from hitting other arrows. It was the biggest waste of money I've spent on archery in a long time!!! You'll be money ahead in the long run by going with carbons... especially if the alums don't even have unibushings.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i used al's for years with no problems---then one day i slipped on a wet rock and slammed my quiver into the bottom of the creek bed--my own stupid fault really, but it happens. the point is that every arrow in my quiver now had a crease in them and were all useless. that was a long 3 mile walk back to my truck to get a fresh set, and my day was shot. i now find my axis arrows to be tough enough for some of my stupid mistakes. just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yep,
Just cut down far enough so that it isn't tapered at all and install the correct size uni bushings with a little epoxy/glue. I do agree thoe that for the most part carbons are alittle quieter on the rest and alot more quiet when you hit your stand or something metal, alot more durable but the tolerances/specs on them are usually alittle lower. I definetly can't tell the difference from .002 to .005

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Daniel Boone said:
Penatrates better.
Doesnt break as easy

DB,

How about the fact that a heavier aluminum, as long as your not giving up a tremendous amout of speed, will have just as much if not more kinetic energy than a lighter carbon?

Why in that case would a carbon penetrate better than say a 2117? And I've broken just as many carbons (including Gold Tips) in my recent 3D shooting as I did in all my field shooting with aluminums several years back.

:eek:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I also started with alluminum but went to carbon. They just last longer. You pay more upfront but don't replace them for a long time. I've yet to break one of my gold tips, 3 years shooting now. I do however check them often, its a must.
Nothing wrong with alluminum but they just aren't as durable. I plan on using the same arrow that killed my doe last year and the year before that!
Bryan

·
Registered
303 Posts
The main reason i can think for you to go with carbons is like everyone else has said they last longer. Much longer. Out of the original doz of beaman ics 400s i bought 4 years ago I still have 10 of them left. One was lost after passing through a deer, never found it at all and the other hit concrete after passing through my target which i hit in a soft spot. I have taken around 30 deer with them, had that been aluminum i would have had to buy probably another doz if not more to get the same results. You pay alittle more up front but in the long run they are worth every penny I have spent on them. All i have had to do is refletch them. Go with carbons you wont be sorry.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The only reason I went to carbons is because I used to shoot raccoons all the time and I was always worried that my arrow was bent. Now I dont worry about that. Last year I bought a dozen Easton C2's and I broke 3 of them, the first one I just didnt take it out of the deer "angle away and lodged in opposite shooulder" and when I pulled her on the 4-man I heard it snap, they second....well I shut the truck door on it, the third one I shot a doe and she fell on it "same type of shot as above". I dont shoot expensive arrows but they fly true, I perfer the weight of aluminum, but I dont see me ever going back due to the fact that its either broke or not.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts