Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my first ever 3D shoot yesterday and I absolutely LOVED it!

What an incredible amount of fun!

I have never done anything like it before. My archery was always just at some kind of bullseye target. The 3D competition was so great I can't believe what I've been missing out on!

Now I can't wait till the next one and I just signed up for the R100 in August!

If you're a newbie, BELIEVE ME, find an archery club near you and/or a 3D shoot. You'll get hooked too!

It's a great day, with great people, and TONS of fun.

I honestly never knew that this sport (3d shooting) even existed before a couple of months ago! I really thought that the only archery options were field targets or hunting.

If you've never done it (and I do understand that I'm probably only speaking to a few people on here on AT) trust me, GO DO IT!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Been shooting competitions of some sort since the 80s and I will tell you you will meet some of the best people that way.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I got hooked and has been 35years . Great place to meat people that enjoy the same thing you do. Also great way to see what other equipment others are shooting.good luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been shooting competitions of some sort since the 80s and I will tell you you will meet some of the best people that way.
That's probably the one thing that stood out the most!

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE was great.

It was the most fun I've had (with my clothes on) in years.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,743 Posts
i started 3D this year and fell in love! i try to go every weekend if i can

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I also started this year. I just did my first ASA this past weekend and if I was not completely hooked before it’s worse now

·
Registered
144 Posts
Started a couple years ago and love it as well. Good way to meet cool people, experiment and test your skills in a bunch of different environments. Shooting static targets in the backyard is good for reps but applying simulated pressure definitely applies to hunting situations. Started 3 spot last year and that is awesome as well. Hunting season is only a couple months a year so this lets you play with all your toys year around. Can't wait for this Covid stuff to be in the rear view mirror. Way to many clubs and matches getting cancelled.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yup! I found Archery last September at 48 - did my first 3D in March (right before the Covid) at 49 - and Im shooting myself in the foot for missing out on all these amazing fun all these years. I am hooked - my wife and son as well are addicted and LOVE 3D shooting. Its basically our favorite thing to do - I also do target shooting which I enjoy as well! Im hoping things will continue to stay open so I can get in some shoots. Welcome to the new addiction!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup! I found Archery last September at 48 - did my first 3D in March (right before the Covid) at 49 - and Im shooting myself in the foot for missing out on all these amazing fun all these years. I am hooked - my wife and son as well are addicted and LOVE 3D shooting. Its basically our favorite thing to do - I also do target shooting which I enjoy as well! Im hoping things will continue to stay open so I can get in some shoots. Welcome to the new addiction!
Thanks, I'm 51 and feel the exact same way. I would have been doing this for years!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts

I have never done anything like it before. My archery was always just at some kind of bullseye target. The 3D competition was so great I can't believe what I've been missing out on!

If you're a newbie, BELIEVE ME, find an archery club near you and/or a 3D shoot. You'll get hooked too!

I honestly never knew that this sport (3d shooting) even existed before a couple of months ago! I really thought that the only archery options were field targets or hunting.

If you've never done it (and I do understand that I'm probably only speaking to a few people on here on AT) trust me, GO DO IT!
My archery addiction officially began at my first 3D shoot too!!!!

I got into archery late in life as well... I was getting ready to retire from the military and thought I wanted a crossbow for no other reason but to extend my hunting season... I went into the shop and shot the crossbows and was disappointed at how easy it was... The guy talked me into trying a compound and that started me off. A few months later I was shooting in the shop with another guy:

Him - Are you getting ready for 3D Season?

Me - What's 3D Season?

Him - You walk along a trail and there are 3 dimensional animal targets laid out... you shoot them for score or just to practice for hunting.

Me - I've never heard of that before but it sounds like something that would be right up my alley.... how do I get started???

Him - Meet me at my club Thursday night after work and I'll show you the ropes....

I met him there a few days later and joined the club. (it wasn't necessary but they had other options besides 20 yard bales) He helped me set my 30-50 yard pins and we went out on the course. That first target was a Mosquito at 26 yards. I didn't know what or where the scoring rings were so I just shot to hit it on the body. He explained the scoring rings and why binos and a range finder are important.... It didn't matter, I was hooked!!!! I bought a range finder and better set of binos the next day and I've been shooting 3D all spring and summer ever since. It's been about 12 years now.

The first 2 years, I thought of 3D as nothing more than practice for hunting. My 5 year old daughter and I went to an event and were paired up with another guy and his 17 year old son. They were shooting long bars and lenses but I was keeping up with them with my hunting bow and skinny arrows. He told me about actual competitions and the difference between ASA and IBO.

Now I have a bow for just about every occassion... Hunting, IBO, ASA and Spots. (I've been wanting to try outdoor spots and Field Archery but, those events seem to always happen when there is a 3D event that I want to shoot)

·
Registered
Jim Beam Apple, Mathews, Jim Beam Apple
2,042 Posts
Careful. It’s addicting
Addicting?????

Did my 1st 3d shoot 5 years ago. At that time i had a rinehart block. Talkin bout addicting. Im making my own course.....i now have 11 3d's, one currently backordered 🤯 and another picked for xmas 🤣
So much fun!

·
Registered
269 Posts

I'm guessing you shot Lincoln Park shoot? They always have a good one. In a couple weeks Appalachian bowmen have one in Whittingham WMA. Out near Newton. That's always a great shoot as well. Although the course is definitely tougher walking but makes it a lot of fun as well.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Was looking forward to beginning 3D's few months ago, but that whole dang covid thing cancelled everything locally.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yeah,I really miss 3-D shoots. When I lived in the Phoenix area,there was a 3-D shoot almost every weekend at Ben Avery shooting range. Would wake up early and grab the kids and make a day of it. Man I miss those days.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My archery addiction officially began at my first 3D shoot too!!!!

I got into archery late in life as well... I was getting ready to retire from the military and thought I wanted a crossbow for no other reason but to extend my hunting season... I went into the shop and shot the crossbows and was disappointed at how easy it was... The guy talked me into trying a compound and that started me off. A few months later I was shooting in the shop with another guy:

Him - Are you getting ready for 3D Season?

Me - What's 3D Season?

Him - You walk along a trail and there are 3 dimensional animal targets laid out... you shoot them for score or just to practice for hunting.

Me - I've never heard of that before but it sounds like something that would be right up my alley.... how do I get started???

Him - Meet me at my club Thursday night after work and I'll show you the ropes....

I met him there a few days later and joined the club. (it wasn't necessary but they had other options besides 20 yard bales) He helped me set my 30-50 yard pins and we went out on the course. That first target was a Mosquito at 26 yards. I didn't know what or where the scoring rings were so I just shot to hit it on the body. He explained the scoring rings and why binos and a range finder are important.... It didn't matter, I was hooked!!!! I bought a range finder and better set of binos the next day and I've been shooting 3D all spring and summer ever since. It's been about 12 years now.

The first 2 years, I thought of 3D as nothing more than practice for hunting. My 5 year old daughter and I went to an event and were paired up with another guy and his 17 year old son. They were shooting long bars and lenses but I was keeping up with them with my hunting bow and skinny arrows. He told me about actual competitions and the difference between ASA and IBO.

Now I have a bow for just about every occassion... Hunting, IBO, ASA and Spots. (I've been wanting to try outdoor spots and Field Archery but, those events seem to always happen when there is a 3D event that I want to shoot)
OK, now you've got me curious...

First off, THANK YOU for your service!

Secondly, what is the difference between IBO and ASA... and why would you need a different bow for each?

I bought a Bowtech Reckoning and figured it was a great all around bow that I could use for whatever. What is the difference?

Also, what are "Spots"

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 31 Posts