Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was trying to get footage of the 130 class 10 point that was with her, he was bedded 100 yds away. To much foliage between me and him.

Look at the long nose on this doe and the big hams, she's been around a few years.

She came in on my track like a bloodhound, I sprayed some Outhouse Scents Red Fox pee on my rubber boots. This happened last year, some does cut our tracks and followed us right to the stand.

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
Nice meat deer but she don't look that old to me. Her back is still straight and don't have the ole "sway back" to it. I really don't know how accurate that is for judging an older deer from a younger one but that's what they taught us at the siminar I went to for field judging whitetails. They said the younger deer will still have straight backs and older deer will have a swayed back.

Anybody know how accurate that is?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
A good way to tell the differance is a mature,older doe will have a longer,bottlenosed snout whereas a younger deer will be shorter in the muzzle.Although a younger deer-a yearling,could be as tall as an older deer,it won't have the width of the more mature doe.That one looks like she's got a couple of years on her.Nice pic.

·
Registered
224 Posts
One difference that i have noticed between older does and younger ones, other than the body size, is that a younger one(yearling or year and a half) will more often than not have a short nose with giant floppy ears, where as an older doe will often have a long nose with smaller ears.

·
Registered
168 Posts
tuckarch,
are you seeing bigger bodies and racks(on bucks of course) this year? i've already seen some does and bucks that seem to be doing alot better this year due to the wet spring/early summer. food is more abundant and of better quality than last year.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The picture had to be shrunk a little to fit it on AT. I'm not sure if I did it the correct way or not. Looking at it now, it doesn't do her any justice. I'm guessing she would dress out at 130-140 lbs.

JimPic - She had a long snout, that's the first thing I noticed about her besides you could tell she was ruling the bean field..

VAREBEL - The bodies are a little larger than normal. The racks on the other hand aren't. A theory told to me by some local farmers is the lateness of the soybeans has deprived them of the protein to grow the racks. You see with all the water, farmers couldn't get the grain in and plant beans on time. You can see in this pic that they are not very tall yet. The beans should thrive well this year, but the racks are more than 75% developed. It will be interesting to see what happens. This farm is the one mentioned in my article in 3-D and Bowhunting times, on Making More Bucks. The buck/doe ratio is very close to equal, of the bucks I saw here last evening most were average, anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 year old. The largest being a nice 10. Anywhere else around here there are nothing but does, very few bucks to even scout. No one will shoot does around here and they continue to shoot the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 scrubs.:(

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VAREBEL - I forgot to mention, last year the bucks on this farm were considerably larger than this year. It's still early though, and I hoping to see the 2 that are leaving the tracks that I saw last evening. Boy they were large, I thought someone was riding a horse through the field when I first saw them.

How are the bucks progressing in VA?

Bart Shortall

·
Registered
168 Posts
from what i've seen so far their doing great. that's why i asked. i've already seen some pretty good sized bodies on the does and bucks and the racks i've seen so far are really nice. we've had plenty for them to eat around here. maybe not the choice things they like but they've had alot better food quantity than they did last year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts