Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see a freakin deer all day on stand! I woke up with a nasty sore throat and figured I'd tough it out...bad idea. No deer and sore throat is about 10923890980112321 times worse! :(

*** is goin on with these deer this season?!?! This is the worst start I've ever had!

Wildlife is active, saw about a dozen squirrels today feeding around my stand locations, acorns are around...tons of birds feeding throughout the afternoon...but no deer.

Even print wise, there is a total lack...my buddy and I "patrol" the area regularly and the deer just aren't moving much. I had 4 stands prepped (since spring, setup in August) to hunt the early season...and not one has been productive for deer sightings! This is insane LOL...I need to take up golf or move to better whitetail regions. All this work to shoot a 100" 8 pointer if I'm lucky! :D

Come on rut...kick these deer into high gear!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well around here the acorns are falling early and it looks like a good crop, so the way I have it figured is that there is plenty of food available and they do not have to key on a few trees and therefore dont have to do a lot of moving around. I know what you are talking about. I have been seeing a few but nothing to write home about. The hormones will start kicking in before long so just hang in there. I have a good one too, we have a youth gun weekend this weekend and I took the two girls up the hill this afternoon and no sooner than we got settled in my damn pager went off. I called the fellow back and he was wanting a spacer of some sort made up which means I would of had to call some machinists in and probably go in myself. I gathered the girls up and headed back home and no sooner than I got halfway home the fellow called back and said that he didnt need it. Aint that a Whoopin. It was about 80 degrees here today and we decided it was too hot to even bother going back up the hill today. Jobs, cant live with em and ya cant live without em :D

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
FULL MOON

With the full moon, movement will shift to when the moon is overhead. This happens to be in the middle of the night. You will see an increased mid-day movement as well, if it is not too hot. Don't expect to see big bucks early morning after a full moon. My experience has been that they are already bedded down and probably won't move until 9:30-10:30, sometimes as late as noon. Don't get frustrated yet. Some of the best hunting of the season is only about 10 days away. Early Morning/ early afternoon movement will increase as Halloween approaches.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Here in Arkansas,between the full moon and the hot weather, most of the deer movement is still at night.I'm not having much better luck than you are.The only thing I could have had a shot at were two spikes.They would have looked good in the freezer but AGFC says we can't shoot them unless they have 3 points on one side.I'm thinking about holding off til cooler weather and a change in the moon.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Dont feel alone

Matt,

Dont feel alone pal, same here. I have had 1 shot opportunity since the opener on Sept. 6th and I took a doe. They arent here like years ago. I heard that the gun season(s) last year really put a hurtin on em.
My last roll of 24 exposures on my game camera had 2 does on it in a 2 week period, that is sad!

I wanted to invite some friends to hunt and am embarrassed to do so now. :(

Good luck, rewards come to those who work hard and have patience (like you) :D

Jerry

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehe thanks guys...the day was great...awesome weather, beautiful sit. The downside was not seeing deer and battling a sore throat all day!

I'm payin for it today...my head feels like there is a vise on it and my nose goes between running like a river one minute to stuffed like a turkey the next.

Definitely been a tough season, and I agree...the deer aren't there like they used to be. Gun clubs pummel the lands I hunt, but honestly they haven't been doing well as time goes on. Each year they get less and less.

Oh well, would have liked to get out today to scout...but figure its better to rest than be out of work for another week and have to chip away at my vacation time...laying in bed!

My buddy gave up hunting until the rut starts kickin in more, he's got off (laid off), so he has alot of days ahead to hunt. He went in to pull one of his stands in this area and relocate it...only to find signs of a deer being drug out where he goes in. He followed the drag marks to what he describes as about a 400 lb bait pile.

This would explain why my buddy's stand was so hot last season, as he is located about 200 yards from there. I was hunting about 1/4 mile from him and didn't see a deer out of my 3 stands in that area. I abandoned the area this season...looks like a smart move considering having to contend with that baitpile.

I really wish they'd ban baiting on public lands...really makes it impossible to hunt fair chase and completely throws deer patterns to hell. I work all year to pin down on them, and a guy comes in and drops a few hundred pounds of corn out in some previously devoid area...and all the deer flock over to it.

They say this happens alot of private lands/leases...where if you don't bait and your neighbor is...you aren't going to see any deer. I hate to throw bait out just to see deer...but I am starting to feel like I'm wasting all day sitting on nothing.

Oh well, all is off come the rut...and then anything can happen at any time. I guess that's why most nice bucks are taken then...because food is no longer on their minds. Unfortunately food is still on the minds of does, and I'll still have the same issues. The saving grace is bucks travel great distances to find does, and I've been fortunate to have them swing by my spots come the rut. Hopefully that trend will continue this season...if not...this is going to be one ugly season for me!

·
Registered
745 Posts
BowhunterNJ,

We have felt a little bit of what you are talking about, but not to bad. The acron crop is very heavy this year with all the rain, and the deer have a large choice of areas to eat from because of it. THe other thing that we are seeing is the deer are bedding around the pin oaks, and they are not having to travel very far for food. As far as the bait, down here you cannot bait public lands. It has been my experence, and I do bait, that deer will prefer fresh acrons over corn all day long. Good luck on the rest of the season!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Re: FULL MOON

JDES900X said:
With the full moon, movement will shift to when the moon is overhead. This happens to be in the middle of the night. You will see an increased mid-day movement as well, if it is not too hot. Don't expect to see big bucks early morning after a full moon. My experience has been that they are already bedded down and probably won't move until 9:30-10:30, sometimes as late as noon. Don't get frustrated yet. Some of the best hunting of the season is only about 10 days away. Early Morning/ early afternoon movement will increase as Halloween approaches.
Jimmy hit the nail on the head, deer movement here in Iowa was great the first 4 days, but when the full moon hit, dawn and dusk deer movement has been minimal. Combine that with the fact that midday temps here have been 80's, all adds up to NO daytime deer movement. But on the brightside, full moon has passed, and temps are really cooling off here this coming week should get the deer moving good again.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Here's the scoop from where I hunt in Michigan:

A full moon is making the deer move at night. Also, we have been having very unusually warm weather here. Temperatures during the day have been in the mid-70s, and night time temperatures have only been hitting the mid-50s. The deer have been hanging out all day in the corn fields, and are moving to the hay fields about 30 minutes before dark. Morning hunting has been nearly useless, and usually the only deer you end up seeing are the random deer that decide to move out of the corn. Evening hunts have been best, but not until the last hour or so. No rutting activity yet. They should be starting in about a week and half or so. Have my stands that I hunt for the rut all set. Just waiting for it to get here. There are still a lot of leaves on the trees, and not much on the ground. The deer that are moving are doing so very silently. Had a doe under me two nights ago that I never heard make a sound. The leaves are turning quick though, and you can see big changes each day. Leaves are starting to drop. Next weekend they are talking highs in the 50s, lows in the 30s, and rain on Saturday. Definitely gonna be in the woods! Good Luck and Safe Shootin'.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
i have seen any since opening day , i think it's too freakin' "hot" and there bedding down before first light

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Opening week

Here in Virginia OCt 4th was opening day. I didn't get to go until late that evening. It was 4pm and about 150 yds from my stand , a buck was in a thicket & I just got a glimpse of horns as he walked away. Really windy but saw 4 bear that eveneing. Bear comes in Oct 11 of course. Monday morning had about 12 deer around a different stand 20 min before shooting light. Saw shadowy forms moving aroud but not enough light to see through my peep. Similar story rest of week. Deer before daylight and after dark. Even in drizzling rain Sat morn Oct 11th, nothing moving. Going to Pike Co. Ill week of Oct 25...new moon!! and wishful thinking. Good luck to all. Be safe.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
:D :rolleyes: . Everytime I think there is going to be this great picture on a thread. I see that bloody camouflage Hoyt USA picture. I think we get the point. Please don't get my hopes up anymore. LOL.:p :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Agreed MAD. Besides it just takes up unneeded Hard Drive and bandwidth space.

·
74,535 Posts
Fullmoon

Sucks but evenings seem to be best shot. Colder weather and rut are coming soo so save those vac. days for the prime time. Been telling the boss you know Im going to be off alot in Nov. Just fact for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts