Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here it is, I will try to keep it short.
HISTORY:
-Been shooting since May 2003
-Shoot pistol RH
-Throw RH
-Write RH
-Kick LH
-Use to shoot rifle LH. So I thought I was LH. The archery shop did ask and I said LH, so if i am wrong not thier fault
- On my LH bows I have to have an extra plate (1/2 inch) between my riser and sight in order to sight in LH
- Today I tried the eye dominant test. i.e. had a diamond with my hands, closed each eye, seperatly of course. Left eye open the target is out of the diamond. Right eye open and the target remained in the diamond but moved only 2 inches.
- So what do you think, am I RH or LH?
- Should I switch as soon as possible seeing how I have only been shooting a short period?
-I shot a RH bow today and the only problem I had was getting use to nocking the arrow, I feel I can get use to it. Also on last thing, I use two seperate sets of eye glasses. Narrow round ones for normal day to day use, but when I shoot LH I have to use the Grandpa LARGE glasses. When I shot RH I didnt need them.
-------Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Tim, "All F'ed up now"

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
If you look at something like you did, close one eye and the object is still there, you are dominant in that eye, therfore shoot for that eye. just think that bows are not left or right handed, but left or right eyed. right eye dominant, use RH. another thing you can do is lok at a person through the triangle and ask them which eye they see.

·
Registered
155 Posts
L/H vs. R/H

In my opinion, you need to shoot with your dominant eye. I am one of these people that are "cross-Dominant". I am naturally right handed, but When I was very young, I always shot long guns left handed, never realizing that there was an eye dominance problem, Then at about age 11 when I took up archery, I thought since I was right handed, I needed to shoot right handed. I never knew a left handed bow existed at that point. Anyhow, for about the next twelve years, I shot right handed. Then A buddy of mine was trying to sell a left handed bow for one of his co-workers, I picked it up and it just felt right. Have been shooting L/H for about the last 10 years. Try a R/H bow and see how it feels. You'll know if you can make the adjustment or not.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you

Thanks for the inputs guys. PLAINSMAN thanks for the PM. I looks like I am Right Eye dominant. Tomarrow I might go the the SHOP and try a right handed bow.

·
Registered
176 Posts
eye dominance

i swicthed to shooting left handed based on eye dominance and my shooting has been improving ever since.GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to shoot rifles left handed but the US Army cured me of that. I used to shoot bows left handed also till a coach told me I WAS GONNA SHOOT RIGHT HANDED ig he was gonna help me. In my experiance....when doing something that feels odd (like changing shooting hands) more attention is paid to form and you end up being a better shooter. I also used to take Tae Kwon DO. kicks that involved the left leg always seemed difficult so I had to concentrate more on form and In return my kicks with my left leg became very powerful and accurate, much more so than my right leg kicks. Changing shooting hands can be done, dominant eyes too! Takes hard work but the benefits of attention to detail and form will make you much better than you think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts