Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to put superglue on the outer knot ends of the loop which keep it from pulling through, so that those two knots don't come undone?

·
It's in da hole!
1,676 Posts
The knots will not come undone

·
Shootin and Cussin
23,595 Posts
I wouldn't..... Super Glue is nasty stuff and I'm afraid it would damage the string material.

If you set up your loop right it won't move unless the serving slips.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wouldn't too

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I wouldn't..... Super Glue is nasty stuff and I'm afraid it would damage the string material.

If you set up your loop right it won't move unless the serving slips.
^^ x2

·
Socket Man
23,789 Posts
My reason is based on experience, kind of like deet you can get it on plastic and get away with it most of the time and then you find something that deet just melts.

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
I would advise you not to, rather spend a little more time practising to tie a real tight D-Loop, even invest in some D-Loop pliers, but don't put any chemicals like Superglue on your string or serving.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't believe superglue will damage your bowstring. I've used it to set 'tied-on' dental floss nock points for years on my traditional bows with no worries. Besides the fact that it wouldn't be contacting the string anyway if you just put it on the ends of the string loop. I agree that a properly tied string loop is pretty trustworthy, but if it improves confidence in your equipment, then go for it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I burn/flatten mine out and I do put a drop of super glue on both ends from time to time to ensure it wont come loose cause I have had it to happen while shooting! Never had any issues damaging string but I use a high end glue not cheap stuff and I don't saturate it either...just a difference of opinions.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My bow shop put glue right under the d-loop and right above. Just really small dots to prevent fr it slipping. It worked and havent had any problems

·
74,535 Posts
Myself and coach both have used glue for years. Never been an issue.
DB

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I use fletching glue in the gap between the loop material that wraps around the string and the string itself, so the loop doesn't spin at the shot. Never had a problem with the glue damaging the serving. If I need to replace the loop, I cut the whole thing off with a pair of nippers running parallel to the string, so I never run the risk of cutting through the string. Loop stays in place and peep always comes back the same way.

But, you should always burn a knob at each end of the loop material so it doesn't slip through the half hitch knots.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Please dont it gets very brittle and breaks off. Plus i bought a bow off a guy that did it and it took me forever to get the ehing off

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
No, don't use it!!! Wax your D Loop material before you tie and it will snug up nice and tight!

NC

·
Registered
693 Posts
Just checked......both knots on the same side and I didn't realize. Thanks for pointing that out.

Doug
what u can use instead of glue is string wax, melt a little and drip onto the knots/string. no risk of damage and as long as u don't get it 2 hot. holds as good as glue.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts