Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you don't like me but I do need some help with my dads crossbow. I was "promoted" to cocking wench last night by my dad :embara: and we were using the horton cocking rope( has two pull handels and a metal string grabber)( loop around the end of the stock) and I noticed that when cocking it, the ropes would strike the dial knob on on the side and move it (Horton crossbow). We wanted to sight it in on #1 and the cocking rope would hit it and turn it to #2. I tried several different rope positions and nothing worked. Is there any way to stop that from happening? I just don't want him to forget to check that when he is cocking it in the dark. I don't want any more wounded deer than the next guy so I guess there is a heads up for everyone too if you are using one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Marvin: I've never handled a Horton, but this is a common problem and I was talking to a Horton friend about it. I suggested the following and he seemed to make it work. Try drilling and tapping a 6-32 tpi hole in knob, and then a slightly larger one very shallow in stock behind hole in knob when set to desired position. Add a set screw. My friend was wanting to use a multi-reticule xbow scope and wanted some method to fix the knob in one position w/o going the epoxy route. Naturally, this won't work if you want to use the dial-a-range feature.
 

·
Archery Coach
Joined
·
23,292 Posts
This happens when someone uses an excalibur cocking device too. The last horton cocking aid I saw had a bracket that I think avoids this. Can you describe the device your are using marvin?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awshucks said:
Marvin: I've never handled a Horton, but this is a common problem and I was talking to a Horton friend about it. I suggested the following and he seemed to make it work. Try drilling and tapping a 6-32 tpi hole in knob, and then a slightly larger one very shallow in stock behind hole in knob when set to desired position. Add a set screw. My friend was wanting to use a multi-reticule xbow scope and wanted some method to fix the knob in one position w/o going the epoxy route. Naturally, this won't work if you want to use the dial-a-range feature.
I was thinking about glueing the tab but he likes to use the dial at times for some reason. Seems like too many moving parts will get you in trouble if you ask me. I will suggest that he try adding the stops like you suggest but I am always open for other suggestions too. Thank you awshucks. We might upgrade his bow for him after this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Jim C said:
This happens when someone uses an excalibur cocking device too. The last horton cocking aid I saw had a bracket that I think avoids this. Can you describe the device your are using marvin?

Its like a metal U with rollers on the side( maybe 2-2.5 inches wide). The hooks for the string are on the bottom....the rope has a plastic tubing section that goes around the but stock and brass stops at the ends of the tubing to keep it from sliding. I was a little surprised that metal part did not have a tab to go into the rail groove for better alignment. I think his cocking aid is about 4-5 years old if that helps. its is similair to teh Horton EZ winder on the metal part ..i just tried to find a picture of it and I think they stopped making it.
 

·
Archery Coach
Joined
·
23,292 Posts
Marvin said:
Its like a metal U with rollers on the side( maybe 2-2.5 inches wide). The hooks for the string are on the bottom....the rope has a plastic tubing section that goes around the but stock and brass stops at the ends of the tubing to keep it from sliding. I was a little surprised that metal part did not have a tab to go into the rail groove for better alignment. I think his cocking aid is about 4-5 years old if that helps. its is similair to teh Horton EZ winder on the metal part ..i just tried to find a picture of it and I think they stopped making it.

Hmmm, that sounds like the "latest" thing they made.
I know some people set that DOR so that the adjustment is perpendicular to the rope and doesn't get moved.

I always thought that idea was a "gadget" and you are better off with a scope that has a few sighting points. Obviously, for someone using a red dot it has its uses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Marvin: Don't know what he has for a sight now, but there is a good deal on a V-zone on Excal trading post, which would allow him to pin the d-a-r in one place and just put the V-zone on future upgrade. They are a remarkable piece of equipment, do exactly as advertised. I have three of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,295 Posts
Marvin said:
I was "promoted" to cocking wench last night by my dad :embara: and we were using the grabberloop around the end and I noticed that when cocking it, the knob would hit it and turn it to #2. I tried several different positions and nothing worked. Is there any way to stop that from happening? I just don't want him to forget to check that when he is cocking it in the dark. I don't want any more wounded than the next guy so I guess there is a heads up for everyone too if you are using one.
I'd call the state's Children Services where you live if I were you!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awshucks said:
Marvin: Don't know what he has for a sight now, but there is a good deal on a V-zone on Excal trading post, which would allow him to pin the d-a-r in one place and just put the V-zone on future upgrade. They are a remarkable piece of equipment, do exactly as advertised. I have three of them.
He has a scope on it. I believe its a horton scope with the graduated crosshairs. thanks for the heads up. might be part of his upgrade. I did shoot his old crossbow that he had new limbs put on. Looks like Hortons triggers got much worse in my opinion. Plus the limbs were the same poundage but goodness there was a severe different in effort to get that sucker back. I'm not as young as I once was thats for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim C said:
Hmmm, that sounds like the "latest" thing they made.
I know some people set that DOR so that the adjustment is perpendicular to the rope and doesn't get moved.

I always thought that idea was a "gadget" and you are better off with a scope that has a few sighting points. Obviously, for someone using a red dot it has its uses.
I think they updated his version he has now. I cannot find a picture of it to save my rear. They have a model out that is similiar but the hook up mechanism is different at the string.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,666 Posts
twogun said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



:confused: :zip: .
Now that it's his dad's xbow please help me guys? Hey Marv, tell us how does that shoe feel on the other foot?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,086 Posts
Stop it guys. Real question, real answers.

If you own a Horton with a dial-a-range you know this is a serious issue. The first thing I would do, is remove the scope rail and pull the plastic plunger rod. I would then roll a couple small pieces of black tape to jam infront and behind the pivot point. By eliminating the movement via that blasted dial, the bow will be much more fault tolerant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Revival said:
Stop it guys. Real question, real answers.

If you own a Horton with a dial-a-range you know this is a serious issue. The first thing I would do, is remove the scope rail and pull the plastic plunger rod. I would then roll a couple small pieces of black tape to jam infront and behind the pivot point. By eliminating the movement via that blasted dial, the bow will be much more fault tolerant.
Thank you brad. I will consider this option for him

BBVA ....GFYS:D you don't have to respond ..I expected a hassle from a select few but please note I WAS trying to help people that may not have noticed the problem. I'm not afraid to put my neck out there to ensure a potential hazzard is avoided.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,796 Posts
Marvin said:
Thank you brad. I will consider this option for him

BBVA ....GFYS:D you don't have to respond ..I expected a hassle from a select few but please note I WAS trying to help people that may not have noticed the problem. I'm not afraid to put my neck out there to ensure a potential hazzard is avoided.
hear hear.... uncalled for attacks. Great question and most of the responses were pretty darned good, too.

Great info on this issue. I have a couple friends looking to purchase a crossbow, and they are leaning towards Horton. I'll be sure to find out if either of them are planning on getting that dial-a-range gadget with the model they end up buying. Of course, they may go a different route as well....

Thanks for the heads up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
doctariAFC said:
hear hear.... uncalled for attacks. Great question and most of the responses were pretty darned good, too.

Great info on this issue. I have a couple friends looking to purchase a crossbow, and they are leaning towards Horton. I'll be sure to find out if either of them are planning on getting that dial-a-range gadget with the model they end up buying. Of course, they may go a different route as well....

Thanks for the heads up
Doc, I am not sure its a dial a range problem but a cocking mechanism problem. if they can try before they buy but I think my dads cocker model is not made anymore. hopefully they have fixed it. I want you all to know i appreciatethe response. And that I sinned and shot one a few times too. I almost got my thumb ripped off if it makes BBVA feel any better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,796 Posts
Marvin said:
Doc, I am not sure its a dial a range problem but a cocking mechanism problem. if they can try before they buy but I think my dads cocker model is not made anymore. hopefully they have fixed it. I want you all to know i appreciatethe response. And that I sinned and shot one a few times too. I almost got my thumb ripped off if it makes BBVA feel any better.
Ok, cool. Thanks.

And watch that thumb! Oh, and that document is going out, finally, tonight. Fish Committee Chairman slacked on getting me his report. Finally got it last evening.... I'll PM that to you after I transmit to the appropriate recipients...
 

·
Archery Coach
Joined
·
23,292 Posts
The TEn point use a similar device though its on the back of the bow. Their factory 3D staffers used to shoot at my farm back in my pre-FITA days. all of them disabled that device (the tenpoint-hunter brand had four positions as I recall) and just use multiline scopes. I had several hortons (most have been sold) and I never used the dial a range after a few months. I also took whiteout and marked the dial so if it moved I could easily see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,796 Posts
Jim C said:
The TEn point use a similar device though its on the back of the bow. Their factory 3D staffers used to shoot at my farm back in my pre-FITA days. all of them disabled that device (the tenpoint-hunter brand had four positions as I recall) and just use multiline scopes. I had several hortons (most have been sold) and I never used the dial a range after a few months. I also took whiteout and marked the dial so if it moved I could easily see it.
Thanks for the insight, JimC. My friends will be thanking you guys and this info, as well.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top